68 Chrysler AC picture needed

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Guys,
I need a picture of the part below with the wires connected. These are the two wires I missed disconnecting.
20210727_214633.jpg

The wires go on where the arrows are pointing. On my 68 NYer one connection is two blue wires and the other is a brown. This is the time delay relay that is mounted on the bottom of the box above the passenger's right foot.

Unfortunately by the time I realized I needed to disconnect these I had the box in such a position I had to use a mirror to see them so I couldn't tell which went where.

Last edited:
I bet that it doesn't matter which wire goes where.

I can't help on this one. I've never even seen that device before. '68 must be the first year for it.

Jeff

IMG_0296.JPG

This pic is from when I documented my newly purchased car before I touched anything. As per the FSM reference and my pic, the brown wire is down, the blue wires are up.

When I resurrected my AC system I eliminated all functionality of this device. It's far from being useful...something about preventing fogging when the AC comes on in Defrost, etc. Screw that......my AC now runs on Max, 24/7/365.

My firewall doesn't look like this mishmash of incorrect stuff these days. Just sayin'. My hatred for zip ties, modern crimp connectors, and incorrect modern hose clamps is legendary. Legendary, I say!

Last edited:
I think if it mattered, Chrysler would have installed a connector that would only go on one way.

Jeff

View attachment 477756
This pic is from when I documented my newly purchased car before I touched anything. As per the FSM reference and my pic, the brown wire is down, the blue wires are up.

When I resurrected my AC system I eliminated all functionality of this device. It's far from being useful...something about preventing fogging when the AC comes on in Defrost, etc. Screw that......my AC now runs on Max, 24/7/365.
Thanks Trace! That is exactly what I was looking for. To eliminate it did you just hook the two wires together?

I think if it mattered, Chrysler would have installed a connector that would only go on one way. Jeff

I was hoping that they were different size connectors, but not the case.

Thanks Trace! That is exactly what I was looking for. To eliminate it did you just hook the two wires together?

I left the wires alone and properly plugged into the Delay Relay thingie, in case they feed something important further down the line (dunno). I plugged the hose that goes thru the firewall, so whatever it supposedly did, it doesn't anymore. One less thing to troubleshoot after rebuilding the box, installing some new vac hose here and there (mice chews) and a making sure the actuators work properly.

And yeah, the FSM gives "approximate" guidance on this job.

Last edited:
As far as functionality goes, those two wires are hooked to the switch inside the time delay relay, so it does not matter which goes where. These delays were a POS and were famous for coming apart and shedding their innards if the engine farted back thru the carb, especially on big block equipped cars.

Dave

As far as functionality goes, those two wires are hooked to the switch inside the time delay relay, so it does not matter which goes where. These delays were a POS and were famous for coming apart and shedding their innards if the engine farted back thru the carb, especially on big block equipped cars.
Dave
Wow, I guess the one on my first NYer should've been absolutely junk then because when the Holley went the carb was backfiring constantly until I figured out what the problem was.

These delays were a POS and were famous for coming apart and shedding their innards if the engine farted back thru the carb, especially on big block equipped cars.

Exactly. My concern about that device was a potential vacuum leak in an already questionable system that I needed to make right. And since it had something to do with fogging the inside of the windshield--which doesn't happen in Florida--I plugged that hose to eliminate a possible problem.

Back