68 "decorative" horn cap?

Zaggart

Reaction score
I know this is pretty nit-picky but has anyone seen a more "decorative" steering wheel horn cap available for the 68 (Fury)? It seems odd to me that the 66's had such cool chrome ones with the inlaid emblem while we get a plain.. Ding Dong snack cake.

think it was all part of the same safety regulations that eliminated the stand-up hood ornanent and went for a padded horn button...like you'd hit your there rather than the rim of the wheel...never tried to see if an earlier one fit

think it was all part of the same safety regulations that eliminated the stand-up hood ornanent and went for a padded horn button...like you'd hit your there rather than the rim of the wheel...never tried to see if an earlier one fit
Agree, all of the '68 cars got the padded horn centers for safety reasons. Might take a little bit of work to adapt the '67 center to the '68s?

‘68 was also the first year that regulations required that the steering columns had to compress in an accident.

Agree, all of the '68 cars got the padded horn centers for safety reasons. Might take a little bit of work to adapt the '67 center to the '68s?
I had a maroon padded horn center in my 3 spoke steering wheel on my 68 Newport. I found a couple of The earlier metal Chrysler logo centers and replaced the padded one with one of them. It actually had the matching burl wood surround that is also on each of the spokes on the steering wheel. I think these wheels were normally on New Yorkers. My car was a really late build so it may have been one of those that the factory just put in whatever they had left. In either case, the metal one with the Chrysler script is way better looking than the padded one was…

1643349917825.jpeg

1643349978296.jpeg

My 68 came with the metal Chrysler logo for the steering wheel emblem, I'm not really sure if that was added sometime later in the car's life or if it came from factory or dealer new, but to me it looks better despite being "less safe". BTAIM

Ah, good point on it being a safety feature. I guess these days if I'm forgoing shoulder belts and air bags anyway I'd rather have something dangerous but cool looking. Maybe I just haven't found the proper google search terms yet. Thanks all!

Try one from a ‘67 Fury. In ‘68 a bunch of new federal safety regulations went into effect. Among them were side marker lights, padded dash & steering wheel centers & anti glare interior trim.

Try one from a ‘67 Fury. In ‘68 a bunch of new federal safety regulations went into effect. Among them were side marker lights, padded dash & steering wheel centers & anti glare interior trim.

Aha! That lead me to the thread below which looks like that will work. Perfect, thank you!

‘68’s built from August ‘67 through December’67 had the chrome ones. Regulations went into effect Jan’68. You will find both out there for 68’s. I agree the chrome ones look much better.

Back