'68 Fury garaged since 1990s with me in TX now!!!

cld

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place; the header for this area of the forum says pre-1968 but I didn't see where else to put it...

Anyway, I posted in the Welcome Wagon area awhile back about getting my '68 Fury III (2 dr, Fast Top, 383 4bbl, 727, black/black, ~73k miles, parked since mid-1990s) from my family's ranch in ND to where I live in Austin, TX. I looked into a bunch of transport options and signed on for a very long term deal to keep the cost as low I as I could for private closed transport (I looked into some of the cheaper brokered options and I just didn't feel comfortable going that route). I was just hoping to get it sometime in 2014. Well, by pure dumb luck the transport guy found a connecting load next door to ND in MN and we pulled the trigger last week. The car is already here in Texas and is going to go through basic checkups, etc before we start it up. Time is in short supply at the moment so it will probably be a week or two before we even know what really needs to be done and how it's running, and then a few more weeks/months to get her back on the road.

By the way, I was looking for dog dishes earlier and have a couple sets now, thanks to everyone who helped out. Still looking for rear wheel well chrome. Murray Park has some I'm waiting to hear more about, and if anyone else has a lead on that please let me know.

The transport guy, Jim at Truly Vintage, was phenomenal and I would recommend him to anyone -- very methodical and careful. He is passionate about classic cars and the stories behind them, especially when they link families together like this one. He took pictures throughout the loading and unloading and some of those are attached here. That's my Dad helping to load up (can you believe he's 75 this year?) and me at the end.

Contact Jim at 260-804-6695. He has a constantly updated page of where he's going and how much space is available here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f158/enclosed-car-transport-hauling-shipping-starting-313802.html

http://forums.aaca.org/f158/enclosed-parts-transport-here-where-i-325243.html

002 - in shop.jpg006 - ready to load.jpg007 - out into the light of day.jpg008 - Dad and nice rear end.jpg009 - from trailer - Dad waving.jpg010 - loaded up.jpg011 - unloading in Austin.jpg012 - unloading in Austin 2.jpg013 - CD reunited.jpg

013 - CD reunited.jpg

012 - unloading in Austin 2.jpg

011 - unloading in Austin.jpg

010 - loaded up.jpg

009 - from trailer - Dad waving.jpg

008 - Dad and nice rear end.jpg

007 - out into the light of day.jpg

006 - ready to load.jpg

002 - in shop.jpg

I remember hearing about the car from before, in particular the black on black part! Congrats on getting it home and for the transportation tip, can't have too many of those.
whats the story on the Ramcharger???

I remember hearing about the car from before, in particular the black on black part! Congrats on getting it home and for the transportation tip, can't have too many of those.
whats the story on the Ramcharger???

Sorry, already sold.

The story is pretty good, though: my grandmother, who died a few years ago in her mid-90s, bought the Ramcharger when she was I think in her 80s. She was out in Washington state visiting her sister in the middle of winter. She'd gotten out there via bus but was in a bus accident en route and understandably reluctant to take another one home to ND at the end of the visit. So she found the most bad-*** 4x4 around and drove it from WA to ND. Remember, this is the middle of winter, and the Rockies were in between! Tough pioneer lady.

From one barn to another. Hopefully the car gets to be fixed up and out on the road to stretch her legs.

I drove a trailduster that was for sale. It rode horribly, I hated it. Guy wanted a grand for it. Of course this was back in 1990

That red and white Ramcharger rides great no matter which end is up. :) I flipped it over about 20 years ago and it didn't damage much. It ended up resting on the passenger side that you can see in the photo. Broke/bent the mirror, that's it! Happened so slowly I turned it off as it rolled so it wouldn't lose oil pressure...

That red and white Ramcharger rides great no matter which end is up. :) I flipped it over about 20 years ago and it didn't damage much. It ended up resting on the passenger side that you can see in the photo. Broke/bent the mirror, that's it! Happened so slowly I turned it off as it rolled so it wouldn't lose oil pressure...

Dont get me wrong, I love them........ this one was probably over neglected

I had an 84 Ramcharger. What an absolute beast. I loved it but it should come with a kidney belt.

I need a kidney belt in my 2500, this winter is absolutely destroying our already terrible roads up here.

Very nice. I bought a '68 Fury 3 fast top about a year ago. Blue on blue with a black vinyl top. It's a 318 car so it's not quick, but I love cruising slow around town. People go kinda crazy when they see it. Dog dishes would look tough on your car, or Year One has some 17" aluminum Mopar rally wheels that I bet would look great.

Very nice. I bought a '68 Fury 3 fast top about a year ago. Blue on blue with a black vinyl top. It's a 318 car so it's not quick, but I love cruising slow around town. People go kinda crazy when they see it. Dog dishes would look tough on your car, or Year One has some 17" aluminum Mopar rally wheels that I bet would look great.

Going to do black steelies with dog dishes. Some here on the forums will object and will say that those are for the stripped down muscle and police cars, and that they're not for the bigger, fancier C bodies, but I love 'em.

Perfect for that car. I'd do the same thing and with black walls.

I'm honored by your agreement. I am not a big fan of black walls, though, and am going to probably get BFG T/As with the letters. I just love the look of white letters turning around a plain, dark wheel. Plus the 1968 plates I'm using (Texas antique registration) have white letters on a black background, which I interpret as a sign from the universe about the tires.

Back