68 Fury odometer way too high

Zaggart

Reaction score
So I bought this thing with just over 117k miles on it and noticed earlier today that it's now registering over 134k, which is ludicrous. Is the odometer crapping out on me? Minus the 300 mile trip home last November when she was stored for the winter I've *maybe* put 1000 miles on it since April, likely much less. I don't even put 17k on my DD in a year driving 30 miles each way to work.

As the odometer runs directly off of the speedometer cable from the transmisson, the gears in the trans that turn the cable would have to be waaayyy off to accumulate that many extra miles, it seems. Is the rear axle ratio the same as the car was built with? Might the speedometer be calibrated in kilometers rather than miles? Tire size similar to the size the car came with originally?

It would seem that if the odometer is that far off, then the speed indicated should be waaayyyy high.

Might need to verify which rear axle gears are in the car. Then look in the FSM for the speedometer drive/dirven gear combination for that axle and the OEM tire size coverted to current P-metric tire sizes.

IF everything checks out so far, then you'll need to remove the speedometer head and inspect the ocometer itself. The washers between each number have a tang on them which is held in place by a white plastic "panel" that snaps over the tangs. That holds things secure so that as the numbers on the odometer turn, they only do so in the "normal" sequence/manner. If that while plastic panel might have a break in it, the numbers can turn more than they need to and not be horizontally aligned as they should be. A new plastic panel will be needed. An easy fix, BUT it takes a lot of effort to get to the point to inspect/replace it.

Just the R&R of the speedometer head will be covered in the FSM, as the odometer repair/replacement would need to be done by a speedometer shop, for many reasons (at the new car dealership level of things) when the cars were new/newer and odometer readings should be accurate. So, make an accurate assessment of the possible current mileage to reset the odometer to.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You are going to get all sorts of posts asking if you have dreams of driving the car and of how you are sleep driving (like sleep walking, but happens with Mopars). Or of how your wife/children are taking the car out when you are not around (or awake). Or maybe something like in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' ...

I think the odometer needs to be pulled and examined. Guessing the thousands and hundreds are turning together. Need to pull instrument cluster and remove speedometer.
Picture from 1970. If you your 67-68 is like my 70:
Are the steel tangs aligned?
20171016_185654.jpg

Link below is me learning to move a 1970 odometer from a rusted gauge face speedometer to a clean replacement. Hope my experience helps.
1970 Fury Speedometer Disassemble

Thanks all, I'll see how much of this I can tackle myself. Worst case I'll be posting again in a few years for sweet internet karma with the first "million mile Fury" :) Good thing I don't ever plan on selling.. "are these original miles?" "Well some of them.."

Back