68 New Yorker Turn Signal Switch

68yourker

Reaction score
Trying to replace the turn signal switch in my 68 New Yorker, but when I bought one it will not fit. I was researching the switch/column when I found this website. I am hoping the knowledge of the group will be able to help me. I have found switches on Ebay and other sites, but they are either blue or red. As I understand it, the red was for a Saginaw column, a blue one is for the Chrys column, but I have a white unit. I do not have tilt or telescopic, but it does have cornering lights. Mine the little clip that hold the switch in the on position is broken. Tried to super glue it, without any success-broke back off when testing it. Or is mine just a aftermarket switch??? It looks very much like the red one for Saginaw columns. Thanks in advance for any help.

Turnsignalswitch.jpg

Head over to www.mymopar.com and (free) download a Chrysler Corp Factory Service Manual. There should be some illustrations in there on how to change the switches and could well define which one you need (by looking and comparing the FSM images to what you have).

I believe that "Saginaw" = Tilt/Telescope steering column?

RockAuto has images of most of the parts they sell in their catalog section, fwiw.

Take care,
CBODY67

Head over to www.mymopar.com and (free) download a Chrysler Corp Factory Service Manual. There should be some illustrations in there on how to change the switches and could well define which one you need (by looking and comparing the FSM images to what you have).

RockAuto has images of most of the parts they sell in their catalog section, fwiw.

Take care,
CBODY67
Try this link instead…..but I have yet to find a digital copy of the 1968 manuals or Parts Books on mymopar.

Service Manuals – MyMopar

I got a switch from shee-mar for my ‘68, but it is a tilt/tele column. Looks like all the shee mar products can be found on rock auto

www.Shee-Mar.com

Try this link instead…..but I have yet to find a digital copy of the 1968 manuals or Parts Books on mymopar.

Service Manuals – MyMopar

I got a switch from shee-mar for my ‘68, but it is a tilt/tele column. Looks like all the shee mar products can be found on rock auto

www.Shee-Mar.com
Interesting that your link goes to the same place on www.mymopar.com after clicking on the "Service Manual" icon.

On items which ALL C-bodies might share in a particular model year, as the steering columns were in '68, the 1968 Plymouth FSM covers the Tilt-A-Scope column, ATC system, and other things of that nature. Sometimes I forget that the listings might not be all inclusive, but with a little bit of knowing what fit what in what model years, alternatives can usually be found, from my experiences.

FWIW,
CBODY67

I think my phone is doing something funky with your link when I click on it from this end…. I keep getting pointed to mopar.com (I think it is a me problem, not a site problem).

Interesting that your link goes to the same place on www.mymopar.com after clicking on the "Service Manual" icon.

On items which ALL C-bodies might share in a particular model year, as the steering columns were in '68, the 1968 Plymouth FSM covers the Tilt-A-Scope column, ATC system, and other things of that nature. Sometimes I forget that the listings might not be all inclusive, but with a little bit of knowing what fit what in what model years, alternatives can usually be found, from my experiences.

FWIW,
CBODY67
I end up at Mopar.com too. Running my cursor over the link shows as "www.my" and "mopar.com", so there's some break in the link. No big deal...

But yea, going across car lines comes up pretty close, with even wiring diagrams aligning across lines and even years. If there's not a Chrysler manual, I first look for a close year. In this case, there's no '67 and in '69 they changed the body style. Next I look for a Dodge of the same year. My experience is the full size Dodge is very close... Followed by the full size Plymouth. You can get close enough 99% of the time or at least until you get a proper copy of your year and model.

I really don't care for their generic wiring diagrams and (IMHO) the FSM's wiring diagrams are much better.

I end up at Mopar.com too. Running my cursor over the link shows as "www.my" and "mopar.com", so there's some break in the link. No big deal...

But yea, going across car lines comes up pretty close, with even wiring diagrams aligning across lines and even years. If there's not a Chrysler manual, I first look for a close year. In this case, there's no '67 and in '69 they changed the body style. Next I look for a Dodge of the same year. My experience is the full size Dodge is very close... Followed by the full size Plymouth. You can get close enough 99% of the time or at least until you get a proper copy of your year and model.

I really don't care for their generic wiring diagrams and (IMHO) the FSM's wiring diagrams are much better.
I also had problems getting to the correct website, but found by manually typing in the URL, it went to the desired one. The parts drawings make me think my switch was replaced at some point years ago with an aftermarket one. I have tried some of the cancel repair kits and they would get the turn signals to work, but I lost my brake lights, or they flat out didn't fit. I think I will try the one from rock auto as it shows the purple wire for my corning lights. If it is wrong, I can always send it back. Thanks for the suggestions.

I also had problems getting to the correct website, but found by manually typing in the URL, it went to the desired one. The parts drawings make me think my switch was replaced at some point years ago with an aftermarket one. I have tried some of the cancel repair kits and they would get the turn signals to work, but I lost my brake lights, or they flat out didn't fit. I think I will try the one from rock auto as it shows the purple wire for my corning lights. If it is wrong, I can always send it back. Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm not sure which turn signal switch is correct for your car, so I won't comment.

If you need a '68 service manual, I think one of these is a great option. While some really like paper, this is nice because you can print out any pages to take out in the shop.. Draw all over them, get them dirty and just toss them when your done. It's really great to do that with wiring diagrams. 1968 Chrysler Shop Manual CD 68 Imperial 300 New Yorker Newport Repair Service | eBay

I'm not sure which turn signal switch is correct for your car, so I won't comment.

If you need a '68 service manual, I think one of these is a great option. While some really like paper, this is nice because you can print out any pages to take out in the shop.. Draw all over them, get them dirty and just toss them when your done. It's really great to do that with wiring diagrams. 1968 Chrysler Shop Manual CD 68 Imperial 300 New Yorker Newport Repair Service | eBay
Got both the switch and SM coming. Thanks

What’s a CD?
:rofl:

Take care,
CBODY67
Rock has them at 105 for standard columns and $322 for tilt/ tele columns

Back