Status
Not open for further replies.

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Contact seller
not so honest buyer/flipper?
First see ad 1, sold for $5k

Seller's Description
Old-school sleeper muscle car, motor needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Thrown rod a week ago. 440 V8, 727 trans., 323 sure grip gears, 11 stall converter, 906 heads, Torker High Rise manifold, 750 Holly double pumper carb. Big cam 284-484, Hooker Super comp. headers with 2.5 inch cut outs, electric fuel pump, line-lock on front brakes, 2.5 inch Flowmaster mufflers
fituRLm5_t.jpg
lcfAQ2IZ_t.jpg
DAdvPUuo_t.jpg

Now see ad 2, Going for $11.9k, and--oops--forgot to mention that motor issue...

1968 Chrysler Newport - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

1968 Chrysler Newport….located in St. Louis Mo………not your typical old Mopar, turns heads everywhere it goes. Porsche silver, black interior, 440 V8, 727 trans, 323 sure grip gears, 906 heads, Weiand High Rise intake, big lopey cam, Hooker headers with cut-outs, electric fuel pump, and Flowmasters. Car is in good shape for an older restoration, pretty solid underneath and makes an excellent cruiser. The exhaust note alone is worth checking this car out. Absolutely sounds amazing.

5ys4KRuG_t.jpg
T33gRy5t_t.jpg
RIs2mopa_t.jpg

---- or mebbe they stuck a piece of leather around the crank on those journals..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd have to think the engine was rebuilt or replaced, based on the description by the flipper. That is gorgeous on the outside. A little more attention needs to be paid to the interior, as the quality of the seat coverings and the incorrect grain are immediately noticeable.

I'd have to think the engine was rebuilt or replaced, based on the description by the flipper. That is gorgeous on the outside. A little more attention needs to be paid to the interior, as the quality of the seat coverings and the incorrect grain are immediately noticeable.
I doubt it. Flippers aren't interested in fixing things, they just want to rip off... sell what they have for as much as they can.

Road Wheels tend to look out of place on slabs IMO but these go good with the silver paint and overall slight modified look.

original ad says "thrown rod a week ago". You're not gonna band-aid fix that for a flip.

Second ad mentions exhaust note etc indicating a running engine. Ergo, engine fixed, new price reflecting that fact.

Years ago I looked at an '82 New Yorker/Fifth Avenue. Car was beautiful and it had one of the few factory 318 4bbl engines. I didn't like the way it seemed to not run on all 8 cylinders. I took it to a mechanic buddy who determined it had a burned valve in #7 cylinder.

I took the car back an altered my suggested value at $1,500 less. The Used Car Dealer was astounded and asked why I was trying to rip him off? I asked him the same as he was trying to sell a car with a burned valve? He looked at me and said, "No thanks; someone will buy it."

He knew the problem and was hoping some sucker wouldn't. These guys know what they're doing.

"Thrown a rod" might mean it just has a bottom end knock right now, flipper probably filled the motor with some heavy weight oil to quiet it down and with the headers, lumpy cam and the new buyer being excited about the car is hoping it will go unnoticed.

"Thrown a rod" might mean it just has a bottom end knock right now, flipper probably filled the motor with some heavy weight oil to quiet it down and with the headers, lumpy cam and the new buyer being excited about the car is hoping it will go unnoticed.
Years ago a Buddy had a Monte Carlo with a tapping noise that he surely thought was a rod knock. Turned out to be a cracked flexplate.

And the actual flipper on teh car might be the first seller, who maybe didn't correctly diagnose an engine noise. Or the 2nd seller might've found another cause of the problem and fixed it. Or had a used engine to swap in and just reused the enginebay pictures?

Except the new ad went up less than a week after the old ad was placed...
Damned fast engine rebuild or replacement (and not even mentioned)...

Yeah, you are not rebuilding an engine in one week if using a good shop. I use a good shop with one guy on heads and the other on engines. He is in demand by racers throughout the region so an engine can take easily 2 months or more based on his backlog.

A spun rod bearing to the many uneducated is throwing a rod, so it could possibly be that the buyer just dropped the pan cleaned up the crank rod journal and threw a new bearing in it and out the door. It may last awhile but...

I watched a gypsy wanna be uTuber star that had no clue about changing the oil in his motorhome... toasted the motor. Well he got hooked up via his fanbase too a truck shop to fix the motor, first diagnostics spun rod bearing, did as I just posted, clean crank replace bearing, didn't pass the first test drive up the mountain, R & R engine to do it proper, send crank out to be turned, new factory rod(s) may have done the head surface and other valve work IDR, many new parts... still failure, OMG LOL.
Ended up putting a factory rebuilt long block in it. And this was a supposed top notch truck shop, (mod'er) made for good boobtube content/drama but... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

There are some really good YT posters out there with useful and entertaining content. Some (like that '66 Imp 4-door) are complete idiots. It's good to see those, as well. You know who to avoid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back