68 Newport, can the wheels be moved back?

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Have a 68 Newport with oversize custom rims. I just put some new tie rods in and have to get an alignment this week. The rims have always been really close to rubbing the fender well but feel after this tie rod it's even closer. There is a ton of space behind the rim. I'm taking it to a shop for the alignment. Is it possible for them to do any adjustments that would move the front wheels back, even like a quarter inch?

Back? As in towards the rear of the car?
No.
The shop can adjust the caster only to a certain point.

Yes, I mean move them towards the back of the car. So they sit further back within the wheel well. I guess a negative caster might be what I mean. Maybe that's what I need to look up

Too much negative caster will make the car undrivable.
The shop may not agree to do that as well.

How much is possible on this car? I just need a touch to get it off the fender. Are baby steps ok in general?

Sounds like different wheels (narrower rim width and/or less backspacing) are needed, unfortunately. They can still do the alignment, unless the wheels hit the inner fender when they do the turns to measure caster. Otherwise, they can still set toe-in and camber.

The older machines had to have the wheels move about 20degrees from center, but newer electronic ones need less, I believe.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

I don't know if it would be an option but you can move the fenders forward. It sounds like your rims have the wrong offset.
You can't move the position of wheels.

I don't disagree they are the wrong offset. I came across then and am trying to make them work without spending another 1500

If the caster is set out of spec the car drives like crap, steers like crap, just crappy all around. Not to mention extra tire ware and fatigue on the linkage.

I guess it is really a case of a really cool set of wheels on the wrong car. Even Cinderella’s 2 sisters couldn’t squeeze their big feet in her shoes. It would probably be more cost effective to sell the wheels and tires than changing parts of the car to get them to fit, and get similar smaller wheels that will fit the car the way Chrysler engineered it.

Yes, the fenders can be moved forward, but THEN all of the other mounting points of the front end sheetmetal (hood, radiator support, bumper, grille, etc.) will also have to be moved, too. Which will not look good and have to be put back later, by somebody.

You might love the wheels and got them at a good price, BUT do you really want to spend money (to modify mounting locations/relationship . . . TWICE), just to use those wheels? Would it not be better to sell THOSE and buy some which will not require modifications to the body to fit?

Respectfully,
CBODY67

All fair points. The wheels work. Had them for quite a while now. It's just really close for comfort and even a small adjustment would be beneficial. I'll consider next steps, just wanted to see options, which I know now.

I don't have such problems: steelies, white walls, and hub caps. That's how I roll.

The only adjustment that I think would help you is to raise the front suspension via adjusting the torsion bars.
But depending on where it is now, that may not be practical.

Moving the front sheetmetal forward will make a bigger gap at front edge of teh doors and rear edge of the hood.

All good. I got an alignment the other day. Kinda back to normal. Its close but it works. I can drive anywhere everywhere etc. I have a little rubbing on the inside at full turn but I can deal with that. I appreciate all the follow ups. Next up is new windshield wipers, steering gearbox and possibly finding new Pittman arms. Otherwise I'm summer ready at the moment

Back