68 Newport ground straps

Tonybkel@newulmte

Reaction score
How many locations are there for ground straps on a 1968 Newport and where are they all located. Thanks.

There should always be a body ground from the negative battery cable to the body, usually hooked to either the core support or the driver side fender. There is a usually second strap from one of the bell housing bolts to the firewall. Those are the standard ones the others will vary depending on the options ordered for the car. I would suggest that you locate a copy of the FSM for you vehicle and review the wiring diagrams.

Dave

Last edited:
On my 68 Newport,the engine ground is connected between the right cylinder head to the firewall.
The main ground cable from negative terminal to left cylinder head.
Adding the ground from the negative terminal to the rad core support is a good idea.

I recall some of the middle '70s GM cars had THREE copper braided ground straps on them. One on the air cleaner stud to the firewall. One from the rear of each cylinder head to the firewall. Plus possibly one from the negative battery terminal to the body or engine.

If any of them were not there, for some reason, "ground" was found via the console shift cable. Which left things in the particular shift position the car was in when it happened.

I've known of a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup which tried to ground through the rear axle. Or so it was claimed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back