68 Newport Rear Seat - looking for style identification

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Fans,

Looking for names of the rear seat styles for the three different styles in photos below all from 68 Newports.

The teal and white has no 'notch' in the middle of the back seat, the grain is well... bucket-ish... from a hard top. I would like to use the front (split with arm rest) bench as a donor bench for the vert, that currently has some random front bucket seats from a 90s or so era something else. The vert rear seat has the chrome/metal perforated unit in the center, so I'd like to match the front to the rear style that was/is original to the back.

The other style is a 2-door Newport hardtop, that has a black plastic Newport ornament in the middle and trails off to the sides to complete the fit (not shown). Curious what this style is, the pleats run left right, unlike the other 2... I need that one as well, most likely during the winter/off-season.

Thanks in advance, Happy motoring.

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

Top and third (teal inserts), 68' Newport Success Sale Special. Bottom is a 68' 300 style seat. My Newport came with the Teal inserts. But the front seat was missing. I think I could remember it being called, the Spring Special, but I may be wrong. I have the fender tag, I'll post an image when I get home from work.

00-1-2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top and third (teal inserts), I remember reading it was known as the 68' Newport Spring edition. Bottom is a 68' 300 style seat. My Newport came with the Teal inserts. But the front seat was missing. I have the fender tag, I'll post an image when I get home from work.

View attachment 552925
Noice!

thanks for that!

I'm jealous that version of a 68 has head rests...

In case you was not aware...convertible rear seats are narrower than 2 or 4 door models. The rear hardtop seats will not fit.
Rear seat frames are specific to 'verts.

The spring succes rear seats is base Newport seat. Oddly enough, the matching front seat is Newport convertible front bench. They stitched the rear to match!!
The black seat is standard on 300 models, optional on Newport and Newport Custom. Typically the matching fronts are buckets with either a buddy seat/armrest or floor console.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ditto: convertible rear seat is more narrow to accommodate the arms for the convertible top. Also, true for 1970 Fury. I found out by trial and error when test fitting a rear seat from a Sport Fury 29-body hardtop parts car.

In case you was not aware...convertible rear seats are narrower than 2 or 4 door models. The rear hardtop seats will not fit.
Rear seat frames are specific to 'verts.

The spring succes rear seats is base Newport seat. Oddly enough, the matching front seat is Newport convertible front bench. They stitched the rear to match!!
The black seat is standard on 300 models, optional on Newport and Newport Custom. Typically the matching fronts are buckets with either a buddy seat/armrest or floor console.
Hope this helps.
Wasn't aware of the back seat width differences, but it makes perfect sense.

Regarding the front seat, it was salvaged from the same hard top that the back seat came from (in 1993). Are you saying that this hard top previously had the seat swapped out for a teal and white (well... turquoise and white I guess) from a vert? (How could you tell that?) If so, I suppose that is welcome news, since I'd like to use the frame for my vert and it would be more correct than not....

I wonder if there is a style name for the vert back seat texture, from the 2nd photo above?, assuming the front would be the same style.

The response from WOT440 with the advertising shots... Was the head rest version only available in the hard top?

You're right, the 300 style rear seat is paired with buckets and a center floor console, & vacuum gauge.

Info is appreciated, thanks a heap for everything.

Happy Motoring - Mike

And to complicate things more 68 vert back seats are shorter than 69 vert seats. I had 68 covers and they did NOT fit my 69 frame. Not just shorter but floor profile is different. Also FYI, the grain on the 300 seats is Cologne. And if you want headrests I have a black split/armrest bench front with headrests and matching 69 rear cover that you would have to shorten. Cheap and on the east coast. ...also Mike

If you're looking for a nice rear seat for a '68 Newport, I have one complete, top and bottom cushion, in great shape in Western Massachusetts. Send me a note if you're interested.

If you're looking for a nice rear seat for a '68 Newport, I have one complete, top and bottom cushion, in great shape in Western Massachusetts. Send me a note if you're interested.

I got his, "
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The following recipients have reached their maximum allowed inbox limit: 1968Chryslers.
"
FYi
-mm

I'M looking for a ragtop 68 rear seat! ANYBODY GOT SOMETHING WITH AN INTACT FRAME? I got the front from my 66 into the '68 ragtop, after turning the feet inside out, but I saw right away the back seat is smaller than standard. Am looking.

Back