68' Newport Sportsgrain Convertible

It was great to meet you as well! I am working hard to have her ready for Carlisle in July and or Hershey in October. Would love to see more C-bodies in the '65-'68 years. There were not many in my class in Gettysburg. As far as the colors go, I have actually seen many different colors online when searching. But, I do see the "Sovereign Gold" out there! Send a picture of your New Yorker!
Here's the NY'er, with owner. We met on Friday at G'burg when we arrived. Carlisle is not a formally judged event, so don't sweat having it ready unless you really want to. Did you register yours already? There is a class for '65 - '68 C-bodies. If you haven't already, I'd register in advance, makes gate entry much easier. I'll have to look up "Sovereign Gold," it may be a '68 color. "Spice Gold" was quite popular in '67.

SterlingRIghtSideMark.jpg

WOW! She sure is something now! I can't believe how clean and new it looks all around but especially under the hood. I just painted the engine and manifold as well as touching up some spots with the sovereign gold under the hood. I see you have the all black spark plugs. I have orange ones in now that I feel are not "period correct". Can you confirm or deny this? I think the rims look great, nice choice! Glad to hear the vert. top made it through unscathed. Your upgrades and vision are all understandable and practical. You have a great combination of classic originality meets modern look/practicality. Very impressed!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

I can’t on the spark plug wires, I did purchase a date coded set though, the wires are black, the boots to the spark plugs are a washed out red color.

Thanks on your comments on my car!

I’m going to post my fender tag and a deciphered list of most of the options on the tag. I have not seen another 68 Sportsgrain tag and I’ve always wondered if one or two codes were used to denote the special Sportsgrain pkg. I know at the bottom of the build sheet (I found two in my car in various state of readability) there is a code that specifically denotes Di-Noc which is the vinyl grain.

Here’s the fender tag:
1685569588358.jpeg

Here’s what one of the online decoders translates it to:
1685569736034.jpeg

Here's the NY'er, with owner. We met on Friday at G'burg when we arrived. Carlisle is not a formally judged event, so don't sweat having it ready unless you really want to. Did you register yours already? There is a class for '65 - '68 C-bodies. If you haven't already, I'd register in advance, makes gate entry much easier. I'll have to look up "Sovereign Gold," it may be a '68 color. "Spice Gold" was quite popular in '67.

View attachment 599651
Yes I recall meeting you! You were the first friendly face I encountered at the show! Very nice looking New Yorker you have there. The Spice Gold you have seems to be just a tad darker than my Sovereign Gold. Or it may be the shade she is parked in. I go on vacation the weekend of Carlisle so it is unlikely I will make it. Hershey is a real possibility. Thanks for the heads up on booking ahead of time. I'll make my final decision and get on board if that is what I decide. I probably will! Thanks for sharing!

I can’t on the spark plug wires, I did purchase a date coded set though, the wires are black, the boots to the spark plugs are a washed out red color.

I’m going to post my fender tag and a deciphered list of most of the options on the tag. I have not seen another 68 Sportsgrain tag and I’ve always wondered if one or two codes were used to denote the special Sportsgrain pkg. I know at the bottom of the build sheet (I found two in my car in various state of readability) there is a code that specifically denotes Di-Noc which is the vinyl grain.

Here’s the fender tag:
View attachment 599683

View attachment 599684
Here is my fender tag
_nc_ohc=vD2Lfkl3wGoAX85LwqF&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Here’s the fender tag:
View attachment 599683

View attachment 599684
Where did you go to look up the VIN Decoder information?

Yes I recall meeting you! You were the first friendly face I encountered at the show! Very nice looking New Yorker you have there. The Spice Gold you have seems to be just a tad darker than my Sovereign Gold. Or it may be the shade she is parked in. I go on vacation the weekend of Carlisle so it is unlikely I will make it. Hershey is a real possibility. Thanks for the heads up on booking ahead of time. I'll make my final decision and get on board if that is what I decide. I probably will! Thanks for sharing!
The (original) paint on my New Yorker is likely either a faded (or darkened) version of its original self, and probably doesn't make for accurate comparison. I have managed to get it presentable and taking a decent shine, so outside of waxing, leave it alone beyond that...... Anyhow - Hershey has an August 15 deadline, with no exceptions. it is worth it. Rare models always make quite a splash at Hershey (I was quite surprised at all the attention my Dodge Diplomat wagon got the year I took it.....) and your NewPort DiNoc DropTop would do the same.... if not more so....... the 27G class always has a good number of cars in it.

Last edited:
Where did you go to look up the VIN Decoder information?
The website is

It’s a little difficult at first to get the data correct from your codes as the letters in his form do not line up with where your input needs to go. You need to offset your letters numbers similar to how I put my entries in above.

Look at the numbers/letters in my fender tag and see where I have offset them in his form. You may not get it right the first time but with trial and error you will get the correct results.

It’s often best to input 1 value at a time and then click on decipher. If your data is in the correct location you will get the proper value. We have many codes the same so you can verify against my results…

Last edited:
The website is
[/URL]

It’s a little difficult at first to get the data correct from your codes as the letters in his form do not line up with where your input needs to go. You need to offset your letters numbers similar to how I put my entries in above.

Look at the numbers/letters in my fender tag and see where I have offset them in his form. You may not get it right the first time but with trial and error you will get the correct results.

It’s often best to input 1 value at a time and then click on decipher. If your data is in the correct location you will get the proper value. We have many codes the same so you can verify against my results…
Thank you!!

Back