68 Polara restore back on

Got my body and trunk harness back from Rhode Island wiring. After I rebuilt it I sent it to get re-braided. Quick turn around. I sent last week and already returned to me.

82F4DD2F-B538-4323-935D-F3DFE93F8066.jpeg
image.jpg

More Updates from MRC on the paint progress. Fenders, doors, hood, and trunk lid installed and gapped. I am told the lines are great and the panel alignment is nice. Every bill I get is a step closer. Not pushing the time line really hard as it is pay as you go but Murphy's Law says I will get a couple more bills before Christmas.

DSCN1513.JPG
DSCN1514.JPG
DSCN1515.JPG
DSCN1516.JPG

More clean up yesterday. Headlight adjusters and spring retainers. Headlight trim bezel screws. And bezel chrome polished. The chrome rings are shiny, but look like they have been sand blasted over the years. I may take them with my other pot metal chrome pieces, but 4 extra pieces will add up. I will at least get a quote.
image.jpg

Getting down to the end of the parts that need cleaned up and detailing. My hope is when I get he car back home I will have everything ready to bolt in. The trim work will be the most time consuming.

Next on the list:
window regulators clean up and repair.
Jack needs blasting and paint. May need to replace the main notched bar. As it may be a little too eaten by rust on one end.
Driveshaft blasted and painted or natural look.
Fuel tank and filler neck cleaned up. Tank is perfect inside.

Tell more about Rhode Island wiring, were the harness reconditioned, new ones made, did they have a pattern. Visited their Web site late last night

Tell more about Rhode Island wiring, were the harness reconditioned, new ones made, did they have a pattern. Visited their Web site late last night

I reconditioned the harness’s and replaced wires as needed using my old as a pattern. For the body and trunk harness I had them loom it after I had it ready. For the engine and dash harness I re-wrapped it with the OEM style vinyl wrap after repairs. From my understanding they will re-build harness if you provide the original. I think they charge about $75 per hour plus material. (That was for any repairs requested prior to looming. I didn’t have any)
They seem to be a customer service oriented business. They would rather you call and talk to them vs e-mail or web orders. They would probably be more than happy to talk you and explain what they can do.
I had a good experience with what they did for me and it seemed reasonable.

Do you actually plan to use the jack? If not I'd just clean it up and put it in the trunk for show.

As long as it is on the down side when stored. I will probably do that. It’s pretty crispy in a couple of areas.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just the patent number on the jack mechanism. Cannot find any other stampings on that part. The foot has A-B on it and the shoe is stamped 2533 419. That seems to be the only p/n for the assembly.
image.jpg

Marty, how tall is your mast? I found two right away, one's 31" and the other 33.5". One has no mechanism and the one that does has a black one but you could likely swap that part.
upload_2018-1-2_14-7-8.png
upload_2018-1-2_14-7-30.png

Mike,
Mine is 34-1/2. Which looks to be the same as the one with the black assembly. (If I adjust your tape measure).
PM me and we can work out the details. Not in a big hurry.

Thanks Marty
image.jpg

Paint completed. Hopefully the big bills are behind me.(except for seats) Next up, polish out the clear, install the vinyl top and paint the dash and interior trim parts. Hopefully home and in my garage for re- assembly by April.
DSCN4978 (640x480)-2.jpg
DSCN4986 (640x480)-1.jpg
DSCN4994 (640x480).jpg
DSCN4997 (640x480).jpg
DSCN5001 (640x480).jpg

Wiper linkage clean up and detailing.
Most difficult part was trying to duplicate the zinc dichromate plating on the drive link. (At least that’s what it looked like). Used the Eastwood 3 step paint, but found it looks more realistic by starting with silver cad base and then misting on the gold, red and green. Using the gold as the base made it too yellow/gold and didn’t look real. The connector link looked like black zinc plating. I used Fast Etch Metal Blackener. It was too long for my little tub so I capped a 1-1/2” drain pipe and poured it in there. I might have to try it for tin zinc plating longer items.

image.jpg

Before, after
C689D0F0-6F90-477D-ACA5-1AC14D5A5775.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks to @Polara_500 for donating a jack stock to replace mine which was eaten by rust worms. Thanks again Mike it was nice meeting you and your wife. Hopefully when you come back to town later this spring or early summer I will have the car home and you can come take a look. Thanks again.
93689596-9AB1-4116-8D35-1E7F7283484D.jpeg

Back