68 Sport Fury 4 speed

Took delivery 20 minutes ago. Will get some pics tomorrow. Not bad for a $450, a set of axles and a center section. If it's on the road in the next 10 years it will be because it being towed behind something, but we definitely just stepped into another level of car ownership around my house. I bet I don't sleep at all tonight. It's like that baby is under the christmas tree out there tonight. Yes!

Cool car and quite rare. I know a guy that has the same car in convertible form, same color too.

Mr. Govier, knows and cares little about C-Bodies. He will tell you what he doesn't know for a fee though.

The common number is 10% of total production, but that is an estimate at best.

Go to your public library, (the greatest public use of any tax dollars) and request a copy of the 1968 Wards Automotive Year Book. If they don't have it in your library, they should be able to order you a copy from a library that does. FREE of charge.

This is where the "new" data on production numbers is coming from in the collector car world.

It's lists production build numbers with options for the major auto manufactures. You may not find this information elsewhere. It may have the total production numbers for manual Plymouth Sport Furies, but not with engine size. I haven't looked for awhile, so I can't remember the exact break down. But I was amazed by the information that was there.

You could write your own book on production numbers from the data in Wards,....as others have.

Cool car,......

Two things:

Each year's Ward's Annual has the MODEL YEAR production figures for the previous year. So to get 1968 production figures you'd need the 1969 Annual. 1968 has 1967 model year information. All of the other information in a Ward's is based on that calendar year which doesn't show when one model year stops and another starts.

Second, the information shown for a particular model year is specific only to the carline series. All Furys are lumped together. No breakout of FuryI, II, III, Sport Fury etc., and no breakout of body style (2/4dr sedan 2/4dr hdtop, convertible, wagon etc). How anybody could write a one page article, let alone a book based on this information is beyond me. Applying the option installation rate information against these huge totals gives you the ability to make a wild guess. I don't see the point.

GG's knowledge has been gained by reverse decoding what he's found on cars he's examined. I'm not a fan of his work, but I do respect the effort he's put into it. No, it's not all correct and I see absolutely no point to his registry. Just because a car is or isn't in his registry doesn't mean anything other than to be a repository database for cars that have survived the crusher. Other people are building databases of cars that have survived and some of them do a better job of it.

I have a reasonably complete run of Ward's Annuals from 1958 to 2000 (missing about 8-10 of them). They're interesting to sit down and leaf through if you're of a mind to do some recreational reading - there are neat ads from all of the manufacturers in them, but to use them as a reference source. Not so much.

I need some help with the trans I need for this. I have been searching for 833's but only know a few things to look for to make this work. I know that the A and E body shifter pads are in different spots. I see that there were either 18 or 23 spline with 18 being more desirable. I also read that after 1972(?) you could find 4 speed overdrives where it actually shifted from 4 to 3 with 3 being your high gear. Other than that, am is my best bet to look for a late 60's B Body 4 speed? I am sure there are tons are variables to consider but short of finding a 68 C Body 4 speed (snowflakes chance in hell) what should I be looking for? Also looking at a 75 3/4 ton pickup Dana 60 tomorrow I think will work.

DSCN3460.JPG
DSCN3461.JPG
DSCN3469.JPG
DSCN3470.JPG
DSCN3483.JPG

Anyone done any digging to find out production numbers for a 4 speed 1968 Sport Fury? I'm sure there were several built but I wonder how many were special ordered with an L Code 440 HP plus power disc brakes and a sure grip? Also no A/C. The current owner is dropping this off to the new owner (me) tonight and short of consulting Mr. Govier I would have to guess this is a low production option list. Be a whole lot cooler if the motor and trans were in the car but I don't think $300 would cover that. Thank in advance for any lead that might help.View attachment 114634

Posted numbers for the 29 body. Will do it again for the 23 body.

US has a breakout to the body style. Canada doesn't.

The "rare" '68 Fury is one of the 4 RHD convertibles built in Windsor for export.

Last edited:
I need some help with the trans I need for this. I have been searching for 833's but only know a few things to look for to make this work. I know that the A and E body shifter pads are in different spots. I see that there were either 18 or 23 spline with 18 being more desirable. I also read that after 1972(?) you could find 4 speed overdrives where it actually shifted from 4 to 3 with 3 being your high gear. Other than that, am is my best bet to look for a late 60's B Body 4 speed? I am sure there are tons are variables to consider but short of finding a 68 C Body 4 speed (snowflakes chance in hell) what should I be looking for? Also looking at a 75 3/4 ton pickup Dana 60 tomorrow I think will work.

Unless you want to spend big bucks, just find a 23 spline long tailshaft 4 speed from a B or E body with a splined slip output shaft (pre-66 have a flange). The A body trans (also Aspen/Volare) have a short tailshaft and will not work. A 69 down B body trans has the shifter forward of the mount. In 70, with the dawn of the E body, they had dual shifter mounts. One was forward of the trans mount for B, and one near the back of the tail housing for E bodies. Either of these transmissions will work. I would only search out an 18 spline if you plan on lots of side-stepping, bang-shifting madness with sticky tires.
Travis..

OK, thanks. Those seem to be around quite alot still so that should make life simpler. I did just pick up a 75 Dodge 3/4 Dana 60 housing today and think the lengths looks close to the 8 3/4 in the car now. i know I'll need the ends off the 8 3/4 and will need to move the perches but overall things seem to be moving ahead now. Thanks for the 4 speed info!!

Ok, this tag tells me this is a '68 Sport Fury two door hardtop with a 440HP, 4 speed manual, 8.15-15 b/w 4ply police grade tires, bfd/spd Nov.24, day/night mirror, belt mouldings, a locking gas cap, 3.31 9.25" axle w/suregrip, black & white bucket seat interior, bright blue metallic paint (top & body), white stripes, pwr frt disc/rr drum brakes, a.M. 2watt radio, tach, tinted w/s, black v/roof, ctr console, fdr mtd t/sig lts and it was a sold car.

Ok, this tag tells me this is a '68 Sport Fury two door hardtop with a 440HP, 4 speed manual, 8.15-15 b/w 4ply police grade tires, bfd/spd Nov.24, day/night mirror, belt mouldings, a locking gas cap, 3.31 9.25" axle w/suregrip, black & white bucket seat interior, bright blue metallic paint (top & body), white stripes, pwr frt disc/rr drum brakes, a.M. 2watt radio, tach, tinted w/s, black v/roof, ctr console, fdr mtd t/sig lts and it was a sold car.

I can picture the guy who ordered this beauty sitting at the salesguys' desk and ticking off those boxes...

SG - yep
440 - yep
4 speed - yep
Buckets? - yep
What color? Blue of course!

Cool cool car good find!

Depending on what's in your area, if you found a dodge 1/2 ton rear axle from 75-79, it will have the correct wheel bolt pattern and would be an easy install. The 1/2 tons in those years used a dodge 9 1/4" rear diff. It would be less expensive and less overall work than your dana 60.
Travis..

I will certainly keep an eye out for that rear end - if any luck I'll just repost the 60. And thanks for the tag decode. I used one online too but they seem to be made to confuse people - seriously, can't it just have a space under each spot so you don't have to count your spaces to get it all lined up! Yeah, someone had it in mind to stand out among their peers with that order form option list. I couldn't sleep this morning and was thinking about what this car would look like tubbed..... If you are a purist like I thought I was, I understand if you hate that - but just imagine it:rolleyes:

I will certainly keep an eye out for that rear end - if any luck I'll just repost the 60. And thanks for the tag decode. I used one online too but they seem to be made to confuse people - seriously, can't it just have a space under each spot so you don't have to count your spaces to get it all lined up! Yeah, someone had it in mind to stand out among their peers with that order form option list. I couldn't sleep this morning and was thinking about what this car would look like tubbed..... If you are a purist like I thought I was, I understand if you hate that - but just imagine it:rolleyes:

It would be INORDINATELY unusual for there to be something stamped underneath every letter and every number on a fender tag. Everything represents something different plus if a particular digit called out something for which there were no options, it would be blank anyway.

I have no intention of attempting to imagine what that car would look like with tubs. If you actually do that, be prepared to be called a lot of not nice things. And not just by me.

Im pretty sure I've seen one of those tubbed before, looks fine but i would never own a car like that. I prefer my cars to handle and drive well. To me, the 4 speed makes it more of a road course or handleing car than a drag car anyway (I know, c body and handleing arent normally in the same sentence). At least an old school street machine anyway.
Travis..

I understand how the tag works and meant if there were a designated slot for each letter or number to be placed in instead of just having to space it all out to fit it would be easier to use. Anyway, I have never seen one with anything but stock tires and suspect it would have an incredible stance and ride height. Please don't shun me to the wilderness for my transgressions...

Just imaging how Sharp that car would of looked in 1968 With Metallic Blue Paint and a BB + 4-Speed, makes my Blood flow to a Very Special area.

Back