'69 440 first start : fuel supply problem

I got it!
Don't see any damage anywhere
I know it's normal but is there a way to check the pump (without specific tool to test the pressure)?

vmMMtrX.jpg

OALmiod.jpg

Don't worry about the traces on the rod it's my finger mark
11ofZAv.jpg

6VH6os2.jpg
Ymgi6gG.jpg

The mechanism seems to work very well, but the internal diaphragm is probably shot I suppose
Considering the price I intend to change it anyway, but for the rod I don't know how to make sure that it's good

And for the pump, in appearance mine looks more like that for L engine with the 1/2 nut connection, but fitted with a rubber hose connector
1969 CHRYSLER 300 7.2L 440cid V8 Fuel Pump | RockAuto

I better take the one for K engine anyway?
Is the connector the only difference between the two or do you think there are internal differences?

Thanks! :)

The fuel pump rod IF it needs replacing is pretty easy. Pull the pump and there's a small plug screwed into the block right below it. Take the plug out and you can wiggle the rod down through.

Personally, I think the original is better than most of the replacements out there, but you can check the length easy enough with a pair of calipers. It should measure 3.25" long.

Of course, if it turns out that it's pumping gas like it should, don't bother with it.
See Big John in the quote above 3.25 inches long.

See Big John in the quote above 3.25 inches long.

It really doesn't look like what I expected, I don't see how you can remove it or even measure it without removing it, but I will start looking for a caliper to try to take the measurement :D

I know it's normal but is there a way to check the pump (without specific tool to test the pressure)?

Yes, you turn the engine over with a soda bottle on the gas line and check the volume of fuel that comes out. Very easy, involves disconnecting a clamp...

But, instead of checking it, you've taken it apart...

Yes, you turn the engine over with a soda bottle on the gas line and check the volume of fuel that comes out. Very easy, involves disconnecting a clamp...

Yes I tried that of course (see above in the thread), I checked that 2 times, the first one the pump was working, it spitted gas, and the 2nd time (when I wanted to try again the flow), nothing

Photo albums
It's going to be fun now :eek:
The guy on this forum advises not to try to unscrew the access plug to the fuel pump pushrod, how do I replace the rod without removing this plug? XD

Yes I tried that of course (see above in the thread), I checked that 2 times, the first one the pump was working, it spitted gas, and the 2nd time (when I wanted to try again the flow), nothing
You didn't say anything about checking it a second time.

Now that you have, it's a reasonable assumption that the pump is shot and it's a good idea to check the length of the rod.

You can only lead them only so far, then they're on their own! Good Luck

Good news guys! The car is running!
I finally received the new fuel pump, installed it (what a pain with the pushrod which falls back and blocks the lever of the pump) and the car started easily...
The carb is needing a good adjustement (but my mechanics will install a new Holley carb next week), the engine stalls and I give it too much gas, but it idles fine

Thanks for your help ;)

my mechanics will install a new Holley carb next week

That's a real downgrade from that Carter AVS that's on there now. The AVS is a much superior carb and if your mechanic doesn't understand that... Well... Find another mechanic.

You can either have that one rebuilt (my preference) or buy the new Edelbrock version of the AVS.

@Dana can help you with a rebuild if you'd like.

One other thing you might look into. Not sure about your pump but a lot of old fuel pumps had a weep hole for gas to escape when it failed. Check your oil level and smell the dipstick. If it smells strongly of fuel you found where all that gas went. Right in the oil pan. With oil at -$27 a barrel an oil change might be cheap insurance if its been fuel diluted.

This happened to my brothers old ford. The oil drained like water but the upside was he got a free desludging job for that old engine Lol!!!

Good luck with your repairs.

Back