69 Imperial - Whitewalls or not, and "bigger size" ?

If you want it to look bad *** go all the way here is the Pimperial, but those wire wheels are a fortune.

View attachment 71429
Thanks... I think Stormers car look EXCELLENT, in regards to both rims, tires and height, but I would never change the original wheels.. (caps), not on a 69, as I think the "turbine-wing-look-center-piece" is super cool!

That is the most accurate statement I have read in the longest time on why people f$#& up cars.
That's why us old geezers get the hair on our back standing straight up. We know how they are supposed to look because we were there and someone comes along and all they want to do is all the cool stuff they erroneously believe is cool but in reality is not cool. Arggghhh.
Seriously, I see Lake Pipes and I want to go ISIS on the guy.

I never understood the appeal of Lake Pipes... I was too young for when that craze first came around... I learned about them as a vintage upgrade from a certain era probably brought about by the American Graffiti movie. Those younger than me would be surprised Indiana Jones/Han Solo had such a small part. The side exhaust that inspired me was on vettes and cobras and not the same. Dummy Lake Pipes have always been a huge miss in my book.

Dummy Lake Pipes have always been a huge miss in my book
Lake pipes, fuzzy dice, teardrop lamps, wide whites, wrong wheels, ratchet floor shifters, 8" tachs with shift light, shotgun exhusts, 8 qt. oil pans on DD's, Summit catalog engine compartments, 2016 Corvettes with $8,000.00 of aftermarket bling, 2016 Challengers with a purple air filter and a cat-back exhaust installed by a shop and then displayed at a car show with a model sitting on the ArmorAll saturated engine cover...
It shows IGNORANCE, not intelligence.

Show me how you tracked down an unobtanium floor pan and installed it yourself and THEN you get my respect.

Last edited:
Lake pipes, fuzzy dice, teardrop lamps, wide whites, wrong wheels, ratchet floor shifters, 8" tachs with shift light, shotgun exhusts, 8 qt. oil pans on DD's, Summit catalog engine compartments, 2016 Corvettes with $8,000.00 of aftermarket bling, 2016 Challengers with a purple air filter and a cat-back exhaust installed by a shop and then displayed at a car show with a model sitting on the ArmorAll saturated engine cover...
It shows IGNORANCE, not intelligence.

Show me how you tracked down an unobtanium floor pan and installed it yourself and THEN you get my respect.
Don't forget 'blue dots"... I always feel its a shame a good pair of lenses has been ruined by those...

Some really rude answer around here...

Thanks for all the "ride-height tech info" Julian.. your technical insight is amazing, and very helpful! I will do the measurements ASAP! :)

As for now, I am swamped with work.. and can't even catch up commenting on this one thread.. and the next 3-4 weeks is going to be much more busy..! (I gotta find some way to loose my job :-D )

I do somewhat agree, about one or two incidents of "rudeness" here, but chose to intrepid it as "good healthy genuine love for the cars, and eagerness to preserve them", which I fully understand and respect.

I asked for opinions, and I got them... THANKS :) I think it's GREAT, that we are passionate about these cars, and share this interest for these beautiful creations. I did not ask how the FCBO members felt about my ownership of the blue wonder, if I lowered it to "brochure standards", but I still, got informed about that too, in fact, several ppl here, aired their honest feelings in that regard, and that's all great. But, like it or not.. many of these big beautiful cars DO end up here in Europe, and here they actually get restored, maintained and pampered, and lots of time love and money is spent on them.. making them look the best their owners know how to. Everybody should be happy about this.. it could be MUCH worse. Around here, I am considered to be somewhat of a purist myself, and I wrote several times, that my intentions was to do reversible changes ONLY. The thought of drilling holes in the Imp.. for the towing gear, makes me SICK. As a matter of fact, I am seriously considering drilling my Charger instead.

So, I feel the purist-frustration myself.. and has done so before. Both of my two (now sold), 100% untouched Mopars (a 70 300 and a 71 Charger), ended up with ppl who altered them in some degree, despite promising me not to do so. I had several offers on the Charger from ppl who wanted to stick crate HEMI's in it, that was much higher than the price I ended up taking for it, ONLY because the guy promised not to f*x£ it up... The 300 really needed to have something restoration-wise done to it, so that was my comfort.. but I was unable to tear it apart myself, but I had hoped he would keep the original color. But the worst feeling I get, is from seeing fuselage derby cars.. and that dear friends.. is NOT in Europe. So, thinking that I was the purist myself, I have to admit, that I was a bit surprised to read some of the comments... ha ha. I guess I am not a purist after all..

IMG_5502.JPG

Purists are rare and wonderful people. When you go to a car show, or a automotive museum, you automatically love them.. They provide the chance of seeing the cars just as they were, which is an experience I value a LOT.. So much, that I can easily withstand a bit of harsh words, and a couple insinuations!

My own experience of being a "wannabe-semi-purist", has been a mixed experience. I miss my 70' 300 much.. but it was deteriorating. The new owner disassembled it down to the last nut, bagging and labeling everything, surgically removed ALL rust, and there is no doubt that the car is in better "health condition" now.. but still, it is only original once!

Advise for purists.. If you want peace of mind, start early figuring out a way to sell / pass on, your untouched cars to someone, who will keep them as such. I tried twice, and failed.. twice !

Chryslerdude, I skipped most of the replies but unless you are going the Pimperial route, leave everything the way it is. That car looks awesome, sits awesome and doesn't need to be improved in the looks department. detmatt was correct that the factory got it right.

Trying a manual multi-quote here, which will probably go wrong:

I think I will stop selling any of my nice cars to Germany any more unless I know more about the owners. They don't respect historical significance.

I'm in Denmark.. and I think the Germans may just be a bit more "puristic" than Danes are.. due to our stupid tax and car regulations in general. The Danish dream car sometimes has to reflect YEARS of suppressed car-dreams.

My Imperial is no more than 2 inches lower in the front than yours. If it were my car, and I fully realize it isn't, I would lower it a slight bit in the front, not 4 inches, and leave the rear alone to make it essentially level, but not lowered. I remember these cars very well when they were new, and I believe the nicest examples ought to reflect the historical past.
Completely agree.. I will start out doing the moderate front lowering as you describe, and hope my laziness will prevail, and thus keep the Imp stock..

Since you were probably not familiar with these cars from many years ago, you likely find them something to show off in with something unusual and look even more cool by lowering it - lot of guys in Europe and adjacent find it cool to bozo these cars. But to me it is sad to see them misrepresented from stock.

I think I was around 5-6 yo when I saw "The gang that couldn't shoot straight".. I loved the Fusie-Imps ever since... if not before.. and I was OUTRAGED that they (pretended to) blew it up in the movie.

That is why I hesitate to sell any of my nice cars to Europe/Netherlands unless I have a pretty good idea of the buyer's intentions. There is nothing "wrong" with what you want to do, but you asked my opinon, and I gave it.
And I am thankful for your undisputed honesty! :)
But then there are guys over here who share your taste for the presumed cool look too, but to me, that should be done with the poorer examples to start with.
I would have bought the gold coupe in NY, but it did not appear until after the blue wonder, and I was still suffering from the loss of the white 70 tp the UK flipper. Now the gold coupe just sits there in a barn, sticking it's rear out in the rain, rotting away slowly, because no American will buy it, (except maybe the Derby-fools..) Carsten.. Buy the blue wonder from me, and I will save the gold coupe from the Derby-clowns instead, (and subsequently bozo it up with a "save no expense original gold color paintjob", and probably... a set of whitewalls ! :-D )

To me, using nice examples that are really rare to do what you prefer is disrespectful of a beautiful luxury car of the past that few even remember today and very few can even own over here today. It is a work of art and a part of the American Heritage. To see it changed to reflect your personal taste is just a bit insulting to me, but then I am a purist. But enjoy. We can't always agree...........
Thanks Steve... I believe that we actually agree more than you think.. and thanks for your opinion.. respectfully... ;-)

This thread highlights why I'm glad I have the car I have. It's nothing special, it was already modified with non stock items and gave me the ability to do what I wanted to with it. I've become much more of a potential purist than I thought I'd ever be, thanks to this site. It's only original once rings truer every day.

Last edited:
Here is a good example of ride height on one of these,mine is a four door but you will get the drift
Picture 001.jpg
50k original never towed a thing.The nose was on the bumpercushons when I bought it but that lasted about an hour. The front may be a tad high but that`s the way I like it.

Kasper

I have faith that everything you do will ultimately be in the car's best interest and finding another way to truly enjoy her. Ride height adjustment should be a non-issue when it can be so easily reversed and I know you are still finding your way around with her. Go down in stages or all at once and don't be afraid to come back up if you find it might better suit your needs.

I love the look created by the Pimperial... it kind of is cartoonish in a sexy way. Its kinda like the old Heavy Metal female forms...exaggerated the sexy features beyond reality. I wouldn't build the car, and any halfassed budget attempt would be a tragedy, but I appreciate it. I don't really know stormer, but what I have picked up on is his involvement in racing on some level... I will assume he has her handling in a satisfactory manner.

I would beg you not to cut the car up, but I know better... anything you do can be undone just as easily. She is where she belongs, getting love.

Enjoy
Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your faith.... and yes.. You are right, as I ABSOLUTELY wish the best for the car, which is why I would never do ANYTHING to it, that was not easily reversible, and.. all is still on the planning level. This was why I aired my thoughts here, to get feedback, and I did.. ha ha, more than expected. I only want the best for the car.. and, in the "name of preservation" my decisions will reflect this further than my own preferences. If I should pick a particular part out of Steves undisguised message, to which I should agree the most.. it would be that the nicest original examples, should represent the car 100% as original, and as such, this particular car would probably be better of with Carsten, or Steve. In their collections, it would be kept 100% original, and probably also driven less. That said, I would NEVER cut up the Imp.. I don't even think I will be able to drill the trunk floor to fit the towing gear... thus making it unable to perform as initially thought, as a "nice original reliable car, in which my son and I could drive to events with my caravan", a bit further from my home, (as my Charger aggressive is a bit to unstable for that). If I had bought the sad looking gold NY'er, THAT car would have been saved, and everybody would be happy.

I'd almost rather sell it, than messing up that trunk pan... not to mention, cutting into the trunk wiring.. :-(

This thread highlights why I'm glad I have the car I have. It's nothing special, it was already modified with non stock items and gave me the ability to do Whatcom I wanted to with it. I've become much more of a potential purist thanks I thought I'd ever be, thanks to this site. It's only original once rings truer every day.

FWIW even the biggest purists appreciate somebody loving their car enough to keep it working. Lots have small useful modifications and original pieces in storage. If you need a carb replacement, nobody will say you did the car wrong using an edlebrock, just dont trash the original
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your faith.... and yes.. You are right, as I ABSOLUTELY wish the best for the car, which is why I would never do ANYTHING to it, that was not easily reversible, and.. all is still on the planning level. This was why I aired my thoughts here, to get feedback, and I did.. ha ha, more than expected. I only want the best for the car.. and, in the "name of preservation" my decisions will reflect this further than my own preferences. If I should pick a particular part out of Steves undisguised message, to which I should agree the most.. it would be that the nicest original examples, should represent the car 100% as original, and as such, this particular car would probably be better of with Carsten, or Steve. In their collections, it would be kept 100% original, and probably also driven less. That said, I would NEVER cut up the Imp.. I don't even think I will be able to drill the trunk floor to fit the towing gear... thus making it unable to perform as initially thought, as a "nice original reliable car, in which my son and I could drive to events with my caravan", a bit further from my home, (as my Charger aggressive is a bit to unstable for that). If I had bought the sad looking gold NY'er, THAT car would have been saved, and everybody would be happy.

I'd almost rather sell it, than messing up that trunk pan... not to mention, cutting into the trunk wiring.. :-(

Kasper,

I really like your car and I don't mean this in any negative way, but she didn't live such a pampered life before you that she cant get wet, dirty or tow your small trailer. Cutting the wiring to install the trailer lights connector could be done very discreetly so that it wasn't obvious and if it bothered you that much you could either get original style connectors and make a "patch harness" for your use or you could try to source the old light bulbs U-Haul used to use that had pigtails coming out of them for trailer use.

I remember seeing those "clamp on" trailer hitches way back when (I'm 47) but I think I would be more worried about those marking the bumper. Never used one so I may be all wrong. Otherwise you may find a fabrication shop that can custom build you a hitch that would be removable and not too obvious when removed... I don't know of anybody that makes new hitches for old uni-body cars like this because body condition(rust) is a major safety concern when installing a hitch on these. I don't recall the gold car, but if it was rusty it may have been unsuitable for towing.

If your car truly belongs in a museum, please make arrangements to put it there. If someone else is so sure they would take better care of her, why didn't they pony up the dollars and buy her when you did off the open market? If you abandon all of your plans to enjoy this car... you will eventually want a different car and this one will go on to the regrets list. Spend some time and put up a new thread for trailer hitch info before you make a final decision.

BTW, many of the "purists" are willing to put an Edelbrock carburetor on their "perfect" cars so they are more enjoyable to drive. I have not seen or heard anything from you to convince me you would be any worse a caretaker than them...

Jeff

Here is a good example of ride height on one of these,mine is a four door but you will get the drift View attachment 71641 50k original never towed a thing.The nose was on the bumpercushons when I bought it but that lasted about an hour. The front may be a tad high but that`s the way I like it.

This beauty actually has the exact same height as mine now.. Thanks. (Man, it looks great in black :p )

Hi Jeff,

no need for an Edelbrock if you have an original Carter. Only the original Holley carbs can be a pain and need to be swapped sometimes as they are extremely difficult to repair if possible at all.

Kasper, don't think that all purists don't use their cars. My black Imperial was driven more than 12.000 miles alone within the last two years and I have driven the other 15+ cars, too.

I just don't undertstand the caravan thing. I can't drive 90mls with a caravan in the back on the autobahn.

I am sleeping in a hotel. Or in a tent if I go to a party and stay overnight. Got one of these throw them and it stands within a few seconds tent. Excellent. No need for a hitch.

There was no trailer towing package available for Imperials back in the day :)

I like your blue Imp a lot but need a B9 dark blue one.

Carsten

This thread highlights why I'm glad I have the car I have. It's nothing special, it was already modified with non stock items and gave me the ability to do what I wanted to with it. I've become much more of a potential purist than I thought I'd ever be, thanks to this site. It's only original once rings truer every day.

Agree.. Which is exactly why, I think I'd be just as happy with the golden NY 69 coupe.. Especially if you add the "good Samaritan feeling" one would get, from knowing it was in a predicament, and you resuscitated it with love and parts (and a set of whitewalls)

I am sincerely WORRIED about the fate of that particular car..

1 (Medium).jpg
7 (Medium).jpg
3 (Medium).jpg

I'd love to be responsible for making it look like this again...!!!

Imperial 69.png

FWIW I don't believe anyone here meant to be "rude"... but it is amazing how differently we can see the same written word. I like his car and I think he is ultimately trying to make it his dream. If you ask... you will receive opinions here... sometimes you don't even have to ask.

Great passion yields honesty.. and I appreciate all the feedback..! :)

Back