6v-71 supercharger rebuild issues

Colin_300

Reaction score
I have a 6v-71 supercharger that I’m rebuilding for my car. Now that I’m done cleaning it, I’m going back to rebuild it. I’m to the point of replacing the rotor shaft seals and on mine and they don’t fit at all. I did order the correct seals/rebuild kit to the best of my knowledge. My rotor shafts have this ring type seal. I’ve now been researching for over 3 hours and I can’t find anything at all on this. Everyone else’s rotor shafts don’t have this and I haven’t seen a single image with these rings. I’m completely lost on what to do. I was wondering if you guys have any idea what’s going on here

IMG_8837.jpeg

It has been over 36 years since I had one of those apart from a backwards running bus engine. I recall correctly that split ring kind of functions like a piston ring. To keep the compression in the blower box. I would need to see the blower box where it rides. Remember that box sees a lot of air pressure when this ring is in its bore bit is likely compressed so the gap is closed up. I don’t remember how it was lubed.
Your best bet would to see if you could find an old service manual for the 6v-71
Detroit Diesel engine. It would cover the super charger rebuild.

I think @amazinblue82 went through an engine refresh for his bus thread. Which I believe had the Detroit Diesel. Not sure if he rebuilt the supercharger.

Back