70 Dodge C body research help please

The convertibles were all built at Belvedere. Windsor production I believe ceased before the 70 calendar year.
They were also built at the Newark plant

I have a C body Dodge and a C body Plymouth on file that were both built at the Windsor plant in October. I've heard Windsor made C bodies 'early' but I don't have enough info to know when they stopped.

I have a C body Dodge and a C body Plymouth on file that were both built at the Windsor plant in October. I've heard Windsor made C bodies 'early' but I don't have enough info to know when they stopped.
I could be wrong in my date, I'm struggling here but as I said by calendar year 1970.
Kevin I'm certain has these answers easily and he hasn't been around

I could be wrong in my date, I'm struggling here but as I said by calendar year 1970.
Kevin I'm certain has these answers easily and he hasn't been around

You did. I missed it.

I think Ceebudy posted what we were looking for. If anyone has more info on the Polara Special, please post it.

Thanks everyone.

70dod_press04b.jpg

Since there was no VIN to start with "F" in 1970 (at least not that I would know of), this fender tag might in reality belong to a VIN starting with "DM" which would make it a Dodge Polara Custom. I have no clue yet what this A71 code could contain or refer to.

Since there was no VIN to start with "F" in 1970 (at least not that I would know of), this fender tag might in reality belong to a VIN starting with "DM" which would make it a Dodge Polara Custom. I have no clue yet what this A71 code could contain or refer to.

Unless I see another FM VIN, I believe it's a typo.

The standard engine on a Polara Custom was the 383-2. 318 n/a. The tag shows E44 318.
The white book shows A71 as Polara Special package in 1970.

I think we're on the right track. However.....Stan's info lists the Special as a DE VIN meaning what we thought from the beginning.... The Specials were VINNed one way but received a DE designation on the invoice or some other factory tracking method. That's why the numbers don't balance. Now what we need is confirmation via said invoice, shipping notice, or some other paper tying A71 to the DE designation.

There were the "white hat specials". Would that be it?

Probably not. I presume those are covered under the simple O&A reports. They would likely not carry a VIN designation change. It's looking like the Special did.

Why wouldn't they?

Dave, that's the whole point of the original question.

There is no listing of DE cars in the white book. Why? Was this a simple oversight by GG? Did he not have access to DE production numbers? Did he use a source other than a factory document for his numbers? If yes, what was that source and why were DE numbers not included?

There is no listing of 1970 DE cars in the revised 1970-1971 parts book on pages INF 7, 23A, nor the specific body trim pages. Why, if it was in fact VINned as a separate sub model, is it not listed in the parts book?

Yet, Stan posted numbers accounting for DE cars. What was that source? Why do they show a DE sub Model when others don't? We've seen the picture of the Polara Special released mid year and a fender tag showing a 318 engine in a model that is supposed to have a 383-2 and carries the A71 Polara Special Package code.

Does anyone here have a 1970 DE VINned car or paperwork?

Possibly new info doesn't balance unless something like a Polara Special was listed in some records as having a DM VIN but carried an option package that, somehow, triggered an unofficial, Mopar internal DE designation also. Without this scenario, the numbers don't jive.

According to Stan's info, somebody knew about DE cars that aren't listed in the parts book or GGs info.

Last edited:
ive always known they were there. Im not sure how but I presumed it to be common knowledge. Obviously you know more about numbers than I do but I would never take GGs word on anything. Remember, he listed in his white books that there was a 1970 Monaco convertible built for Canada only.

ive always known they were there. Im not sure how but I presumed it to be common knowledge. Obviously you know more about numbers than I do but I would never take GGs word on anything. Remember, he listed in his white books that there was a 1970 Monaco convertible built for Canada only.

The DE does exist for 1971 but it's not accounted for in 1970. Yet, we know they were made. That is the crux of the question. How were the Polara Specials accounted for 1970? Are the production numbers lumped in with DH cars, yet still accounted for internally at Chrysler as DE cars? If they are lumped in, then that changes the production numbers for Polara Customs.

Consider this for a second.....The hobby has stood by the numbers printed in the white books for a long time. What would happen if we found out GG used wrong or incomplete numbers in his research? What would be the implications?

we already know he was wrong on C bodies

Being not well versed in Cs (which is why I'm here in the first place and learning), the first question I would have is how do we know that? That is meant an honest learning question. The second is what if that was corrected?

How much effort do you think Galen had to put into those books? I'm sure quite a lot and I respect him for that. He states right in the books that the info is as accurate as possible with the info known at the moment and with the help of several others that he credits. Does he have particular interest in C-bodies and Imps? Probably not but neither did most everyone else in the hobby at the time either. How much difference would it make if the production numbers in his books turned out to be wrong? Who knows? Whose fault would it be if they were wrong? His or is he just the messenger??

I already pointed out the one mistake I know of and I didnt need to look anymore. That was many many MANY years ago.
If it were corrected, great!

Back