70 Fury conv. carpet?

moparblood

Reaction score
looking to get a new carpet.
all the ones i look at say Not for Convertible.
Whats the difference from hardtop?

Now I'm not sure, I was thinking it might be like my Barracuda where the seat isn't full width but that isn't the case.

I don't know (and i kind of doubt it) if this is the original carpet or how it was specified if it is a replacement.

Although there may have been a difference I don't see why

This shows it stopping just under the seat all the way across (I suspect this is a non convertible replacement).
IMG_4874.JPG

It does go back far enough to cover what might be seen at the ends of the seat.
IMG_4722.JPG

This was the issue that I was thinking about.
This is my Barracuda.
2008-07-22_003.jpg

Alan

@moparblood -- there are several threads discussing the differences between the carpeting in the rear for 2dr hardtop vs. convertible fuselage C-bodies. Members including @Big_John and @polara71 contributed helpfully to those threads. Here is a post by @tvaluke that shows some of the difference. As @Big_John said here, "the difference (is) some spacing around the rear seat."

A similar issue arises with convertibles from earlier years, see here.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the big issue is the area around the rear seat. The 'vert rear seat is rounded off more than the hardtop. This is a pic from one of the mentioned threads.

1656898379692.png

The only other issue may be the seat belt area, but I'm not sure on that one.

I think that if you buy some extra yardage of carpet, or if you can get them to trim it long, you can make the hardtop carpet work, but that's an educated guess at best. The company that made the correct carpet was bought by ACC and they haven't bothered to offer the convertible version.

The area behind the red line is what is missing.
On my Barracuda I found a piece of the original carpet that wasn't worn and tucked it under the other one there. Looks like they did that here.
Image1.jpg

Alan

Follow. I'm in the same boat with my 1970 convertible. I am considering having a shop custom make a carpet, but it won't look stock.

Back