70 fury vert fumes still in cockpit?

moparblood

Reaction score
Ok, addressed this before and I got deadend.
changed the rear trunk seal, put new carpet in. and when i did I sealed every nook and crany.
put the challenger dual tips 3 1/2" passed bumper.
new exhaust manifold gaskets both block and pipes.
had 2 guys hold rags over tips and no leaks.
still get fumes in car.
????

Sounds like you have done all you can do to ensure your exhaust is sealed as well as can be. I'm going to assume that you can only notice the exhaust fumes with the top and windows up? Do you notice the fumes always? Or just when sitting, and not in motion?

Are you sure it's exhaust fumes? Oil on the exhaust could do it... Or even bad crankcase blow-by if the PCV has an issue (or missing like some do with custom valve covers)

Just for curiosity, what engine is in the car? Chrysler never put exhaust gaskets on the heads of big blocks.

Does it just do it when you are driving or sitting at idle? The other thought I have is if those tips stick out a little too far and you're getting some sort of strange draw into the interior.

Might also want to check that all of the floor plugs are in place, easiest done with the car up on a rack. A I recall there are 4 plugs for the stub frame attachment just forward of the front seat. There are usually some plugs under the rear seat. Also check the drains from the well to be sure they are in place.

Dave

the car had down spouts, and i noticed the fumes.
its definitely exhaust fumes, I figured the chrome tips would bring it past the bumper and smell gone.
i dynamat the floors and sealed everything.
when driving with windows up its bad.
never really sat with it at idle.

I own a 1970 Fury Convertible. I had pipes that stop before the rear valence and never had exhaust in the passenger compartment (later added Magnaflow 35204 exhaust tips). If you're sure it's exhaust fumes, you have to have a leak somewhere. Given that you sealed the trunk and dynamat'd the floors, my guess is the cowl vents or a hole in the firewall. I'd check the firewall and recheck the mating surfaces at the manifolds. Either that, or put the car on on a rack while running and look for leaks when the engine is hot.

Also, if the exhaust system is older, condensation can accumulate in the muffler during winter storage and cause rust and partial blockage, even though the muffler looks OK on the outside. In the same line of thought, I had a 292 V8 Ford truck that smelled even after I installed a new OEM muffler. I installed a free flowing muffler and the smell went away.

Hope you find the smell and can start enjoying your car.

Back