71 New Yorker

Big Block

Reaction score
Hi folks I just wanted some thoughts. My 71 Ny was working good than one evening it just wouldn't start and it's been that way for a few days now. Turns over well but just want catch. I checked the fire with a spare plug and it was firing fine not sure how bright the spark is supposed to be but there was lots of spark. Fuel going to the carb also. Question will the plug still fire if the points are done. The previous owner gave me all his spare parts he accumalated over the years not sure how long he had the car I think 5 years but later as I went through the parts I noticed two or 3 sets of old points is that normal?I am so used to the electronic ignition set up. So it worked one day then died. I also replaced the resistor with a known working one I replaced the voltage regulator this spring..any ideas or suggestions I would be all ears thanks guys.

20180725_125931.jpg

Last edited:
Also before it completely died it would run slightly as if a plug wire was off and then stall. So I checked all the connections on the wires both at the plug and distributor all good..thanks. Also it has a newer coil.

20180521_173933.jpg

Last edited:
Have some one give it a squirt of ether while you are cranking it. If it fires it will be a fuel issue. If it doesn't it be an electrical issue.

Back when these cars were daily drivers, one needed to change the points, condenser, rotor, cap and plugs about every ten thousand miles or so. If you are not sure how long it has been since that was done, that would probably be a good place to start. I would suggest getting a feeler gauge and checking the point gap first, the points close up over time and that was a common cause of a no start condition as points with insufficient gap produce a weak spark that is yellow in color from the coil wire. That spark should always be blue to white in color. Try re setting the point gap and report back.

Dave

My thoughts exactly. Your car is beautiful -- love the color combo and road wheels!

I will always remember a 1971 300 that was very similar to yours in color choices that was for sale in New York maybe 10 years ago now. I think it is the one car that I was unable to buy at the time, and regret the most that I could not get it. It had some 46K miles on it at the time and was mint.

Big Block, how many miles on your jewel of a car? It looks awesome.

1971-chrysler-300-design.jpg

Last edited:
I checked the fire with a spare plug and it was firing fine not sure how bright the spark is supposed to be but there was lots of spark. Fuel going

1) If you are seeing spark by removing a wire and grounding a plug, you can most likely rule out the points. Points (or a hall-effect coil as on electronic systems) only turn the coil primary on/off, which induces a high voltage charge to jump the plug gap. You're seeing a spark, so that is happening. If you're positive about receiving good, flammable fuel, that leaves two possibilities...

A) the plugs installed in you engine have gotten fouled somehow. Pull four of the easiest and clean them. I'll bet it tries to fire and might run poorly. Put it in neutral and rev it good. The turbulence will clean the other plugs and it will smooth out. I just went through this exact scenario with my '51 Imperial that went years without firing.

B) you've lost compression, most likely through mis-timing between the cam and crank. However I'd consider this highly unlikely because you haven't mentioned uneven, unusual sounds when cranking.

Again, this is all predicated on the idea you are getting spark all the way to at least 4 of the plugs and that your accelerator pump delivers an adequate shot of fuel into the intake.

Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow

2) the car is a total loss and you should trade it for anything I own.

Last edited:
I will always remember a 1971 300 that was very similar to yours in color choices that was for sale in New York maybe 10 years ago now. I think it is the one car that I was unable to buy at the time, and regret the most that I could not get it. It had some 46K miles on it at the time and was mint.

Big Block, how many miles on your jewell of a car? It looks awesome.

View attachment 202077
It has just over 50000 miles. Gun metal grey is the factory color and has buckets and the console shirt which one doesn't see often if ever in the 69-73 New Yorkers.
All the best.

It has just over 50000 miles. Gun metal grey is the factory color and has buckets and the console shirt which one doesn't see often if ever in the 69-73 New Yorkers.
All the best.

Never heard of a console shirt?

Dave

Also before it completely died it would run slightly as if a plug wire was off and then stall. So I checked all the connections on the wires both at the plug and distributor all good..thanks. Also it has a newer coil.

View attachment 202060
Love the paint / interior combo! My mopar favorite! And the blue that’s just a bit Deeper that they used around that time & a bit later too

You are home tomorrow Rob ? I can have a quick look and we can see what we can do , I’m in Panorama in the am

You are home tomorrow Rob ? I can have a quick look and we can see what we can do , I’m in Panorama in the am

This car is one you found and sold to Rob, correct Tobias? Or maybe I am thinking of another one.....................

Back