71' plymouth fury 440, what rear gear?

A38E86D32

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I have a 71' fury 3 four door sedan police package , i had a 440 built for it. Motor dynoed 415hp at 4900 rpm and max torque 488ftlbs @ 3400rpm. Using the lunati voodoo 60302 cam. NOT drag racing the car, just want decent pull out of the hole.
Would 3.23s be good?
Thanks!

Its running and driveable now. Brakes need to be checked out. I want to have the engine bay cleaned up and painted before i swap in the new engine/trans. I have to see what it has now for gears, feels soggy in the bottom end.

There should be a tag on the gear housing, like this one

$_12.JPG

Unless it was swapped out, that tag should be there.

If I remember right your car is original, what does the build sheet say?

I would get a Sure Grip for it.....just in case you do take it to the track.

Is it an original 440 police car or does he have a 440 ready for it?

If I recall from his original post its a former New Jersey State Police car...440

Original 440HP U code car. New Jersey State police. Has a 72' chrysler 440 in it now. Feels soggy out of the hole, couldn't even spin the 14" tires on the back..i have a newly rebuilt 440 engine for it

Hey fellas,
I have a 71' fury 3 four door sedan police package , i had a 440 built for it. Motor dynoed 415hp at 4900 rpm and max torque 488ftlbs @ 3400rpm. Using the lunati voodoo 60302 cam. NOT drag racing the car, just want decent pull out of the hole.
Would 3.23s be good?
Thanks!

Can you give some specs on how you built the motor - I have a 440 for '72 as a goal

Thanks

My T code 71 Polara wont spin the wheels either but it sure does pull hard .

I imagine the engine in there is a bit worn also and perhaps not 100 percent in tune?

I'm curious what you think of that specific cam. I went with a purple shaft and Mopar did not machine the threads that hold the cam sprocket on, so I just sent it back. I think I'm going the roller route with the Lunati as well, just have not settled on the grind. 3.23 is the gear set to pick. Your car should be running 15" tires also. You will probably need a higher stall convertor, but not to high. Around 1800 looks like what I need fwiw, if I'm being realistic.

Probably has one being a police 440, but thats just my presumption
It seems to be hit and miss Dave, in researching for the '73 it seems to be 50/50, some had SG rear's, some don't. Doesn't even matter really if they were Pursuit Package (Big Block) or Patrol Package (Small block and Slant).

Nick

I'd also love to hear your spec's as I have been collecting parts to build a 440 for my '73.

Nick

New Engine specs are as follows:
73' 440 block decked, line honed with arp main studs, .030" over bore
Stock steel crank 10/10
New steel Ibeam rods with arp bolts
Speed pro forged "six pack" pistons
Mopar performance stock style low rise aluminum intake
Mopar performance "452" aluminum heads
Full s/s roller rockers, stock ratio.
Lunati voodoo 60302 (they use a new part # now) hydraulic flat tappet
Stock C body HP exhaust manifolds
Stock baffled "187" oil pan ,windage trap, stock volume/pressure oil pump.
750cfm street demon carburetor, will be using the stock dual snorkel air breather.
Already have a new 2400 stall converter to go on my new 727.

Idk, i looked for the diff tag underneath on the pumpkin, didn't see any.

have you tried to count the tire rotations to the drive shaft rotations to get around the number for the gear ratio

Haven't yet, it was my next idea. Have to remove the rear anyway to clean/detail, and replace rear brakes

Back