72-73 Imperial Restoration and Information

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
I’m trying to do my research on 72-73 Imperials before I even turn one wrench on disassembly. I want to compile information about these cars and build details similar to what is done for say Chargers, Superbirds, etc like a concourse restoration guide.

I’m requesting all kinds of pictures of body markings, and details from original, good condition cars.

I can give you some photos of my 73 Imperial.
Some paint markings still remain.

IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0312.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

Thank you! I will be writing a whole guide with build sheet and fender tag information that corresponds to the restoration of the car.

In order to get you feet wet in these areas, you might peruse the body of knowledge on B and E-body Chrysler Corp products. I highly-suspect that the C-body and Imperial vehicles can be similar.

As to "paint daubs" and "inspection markings", these might be somewhat consistent in some respects, BUT you also have to remember that it was human beings doing them AND one shift of human inspectors might do them just a bit differently than the next shift of human inspectors. Some of the more standardized stamps and related paints are available from the B/E-body high-restoration supply people.

Because of these variations between plant to plant and shift to shift (although I know the Imperials were all done in one plant), the absolute BEST way to do things is to photograph ALL of the markings on your car as you disassemble (or get ready to disassemble it) the vehicle. Carefully cleaning each item do discover the colors and method of application of each paint stripe/daub/stamp/splatter on YOUR car. Then you can also purchase some "approved" brushes from the above-mentioned MOPAR restoration supply vendors.

Back to the "inspection marks". These generally are on joints where the inspector verifies the bolt/nut torque with the paint stripe across what was just inspected. Like steering linkage joints, for example. Back in the 1990s, there was an article on these inspection marks and stamps in "Mopar Action" or similar. The Challenger restoration they were using for reference was way over-marked compared to any other stock Chrysler product myself or some others in our Mopar Club had ever seen. Reading such an article can be helpful so you know what you might be looking at on your car . . . or not looking at. End result was that their pictures of the Challenger's underbody looked very colorful, but it proved the point of what MIGHT have happened.

Also pay attention to "grease pencil markings". When we did the Superbird restoration, there was a grease pencil marking on the outside vertical surface of the lh valve cover on the 440. After looking at it for a while, visualizing it and how to reproduce it, one of our guys did it and it looked extremely accurate compared to the picture we had of it. There should be some marks to note the temperature of the coolant protection. Not sure if they were done at the assy plant or at the selling dealer, to show that somebody looked at it?

On the Superbird, there were three paint stripes on the lh axle tube. All the way around. Three different colors for ID on the production line. Plus the ratio and possible SureGrip tags on the rear axle center section bolt, on a particular bolt for each one.

Of course, you'll want to document ALL decals under the hood, in the trunk, and in the door frame areas. In some cases, you might remove them with the use of a heat gun, provided they are in good enough shape.

THEN, as you are somewhat "in the neighborhood", you can trek to Mopar Nats and spend time under the tents, in the "Survivor" area and "Concours Judging" areas. You might be able to get a copy of their (used to be 1400+ point) judging sheet, watching as they do their judging activities, topside and bottomside. Then, you can head to the Carlisle Mopar event, too.

In looking at how many paints and undercoats are applied on the assy line, you can look at the spray pattern to determine where the spray gun was located so you can approximate that same spray gun position and angle. PLUS where any related overspray might have ended up. Plus any "gaps" in the coverage. You'll have to restrain yourself from making it look "too pretty", too, all things considered.

IF you can get a B or E-body assy manual, that might be helpful too. Reason is that it can also detail what lubes and greases go where and how much. That cab be very interesting in itself.

I applaud your desires and future efforts to achieve your goal. I wish you well in this venture!

CBODY67

I’m trying to do my research on 72-73 Imperials before I even turn one wrench on disassembly. I want to compile information about these cars and build details similar to what is done for say Chargers, Superbirds, etc like a concourse restoration guide.

I’m requesting all kinds of pictures of body markings, and details from original, good condition cars.
This is awesome. My bucket list is to have my 72 2-door restored so your post is refreshing. I look forward to all the info that will be gathered!

imp on trailer.JPG

It is remedial but it has to start somewhere. For the uninitiated, here is a breakdown of some basic information.

1972-73 Imperials all will have the VIN

Example:

YM43T2C100001

Y - Imperial

M-Medium

23 - 2 door hardtop

43 - 4 door hardtop

T 440 CID V8 (225hp 1972 Federal Emissions/215hp -1973 Federal Emissions)

2 - 1972

3 - 1973

C - Jefferson Ave. Chrysler Assembly. All Imperials were made at this assembly plant for 1972-73

100001 - Sequential built number. This is the number assigned to the vehicle built for that year, at that assembly plant.

Also, we can talk about the fender tag. For those unaware, Mopar fender tags are read left to right, bottom to top.

Line 3: V1X
Line 2: TX9 RLXW EW1 801 100001
Line 1: E85 D32 YM43 T2C 100001

The first three lines are the basic car.

Line 1

E85 440 CID 4bbl V8. This is the regular fuel version with single exhaust. All Imperials are equipped with this engine.

D32 - TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
A727-B. All Imperials are equipped with this transmission.

YM43 - Carline, Price Class, Body Style. All 1972-73 Imperials will be YM and identified as LeBarons. The 23 or 43 will reflect the car being a 2-door or 4-door Hardtop. There were no sedans after 1969 as the Crown model was eliminated.

T2C - Engine, Model Year, Assembly Plant. All 1972-73 regular fuel 440 engines are identified as T. 2 or 3 will reflect the model year of the car. C, All Imperials were built at the Jefferson Ave. Assembly Plant for 1972 and 1973.
100001 - Sequential Build number

Line 2

TX9 - Body Color. This is for the exterior paint color code. All Imperials had mandatory vinyl roofs, so the body is the only part of the car that was painted.

RLXW - Interior Trim - Seat Style and Color. The interiors were standard in cloth and leather and optional in full leather.

EW1 - Upper Door Frame Color. There are various codes that will compliment the interior trim color.

801 - Scheduled Production Date. This was usually from August 1st of the year prior to the model year to July 31st of the year of the model year. For 1972 (8/1/71-7/31/72) For 1973 (8/1/72-7/31/73). This is when the factory planed for the car to be completed, not when the car was actually built.

100001 - Vehicle Order Number. This number usually matches the number on the order form from the dealer the car was purchased from. There are special cases for executive lease cars, show cars and sunroof cars.

Line 3

V1X - Vinyl Top Color. All 1972-73 Imperials had mandatory vinyl tops to cheaply finish the rear window area that had a fiberglass filler cap installed over the regular Chrysler rear window. There were many colors to choose from.

I picked up a third Imperial to study and a few more parts that will be divided up between Amber the 72 and the Chestnut 73.

Here are a couple new tools I acquired that are essential to caring for vintage Chryslers like 72-73 Imperials. I will be testing them and making sure they work.

IMG_0497.jpeg

The 1972 and 1973 Imperials are very similar but very different at the same time. One way they are different is the length of the negative battery cables. Both are originals, look at how much longer the 1973 cable is. The 1972 cable is from a 11/24/71 build and the 1973 cable is from a 01/18/73 build. My brown 72 Imperial (build 03/15/72) has the same long cable as the 73. I will be sending off to get the cables remade by Evan’s Wiring, finally after all this time.

IMG_0633.jpeg

Last edited:
You can see on 1972 Imperials there is an early and a later latch tray design for the hood. Early is August and September for sure, it is the one with the lateral brace.

By November they switched to a cheaper design that is not as desirable, it lets the hood release cable flex too much.

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

Back