72-73 Imperial Restoration and Information

You can see on 1972 Imperials there is an early and a later latch tray design for the hood. Early is August and September for sure, it is the one with the lateral brace.

By November they switched to a cheaper design that is not as desirable, it lets the hood release cable flex too much.

View attachment 654436

View attachment 654437

View attachment 654438

In my Imperial from May 1973, it still seems to be the more sophisticated version.
Maybe a later "upgrade"?

hood latch tray 1973-5-15 Imperial.jpg

So on the front bumper bracket bolts to the stub frame are zinc phosphate with a zinc or cadmium washer, bumper brackets are semi gloss black, the stub frame is semi gloss black and the reinforced plate is bare metal.

IMG_0829.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0832.jpeg

So, this is going to be a fully documented nut & bolt restoration?, glad someone is doing this.

Headlamp buckets are galvanized. The left low beam has a red stripe, the left high beam has an orange stripe. The right low beam has a black stripe, the right high beam has a blue stripe.

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

Early 1972 core supports do not have the nut-serts for the overflow bottle, mid year 72 and newer has the nut-serts for the overflow bottle.

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0915.jpeg

What were the two lengths of the main cables?
The 1972 and 1973 Imperials are very similar but very different at the same time. One way they are different is the length of the negative battery cables. Both are originals, look at how much longer the 1973 cable is. The 1972 cable is from a 11/24/71 build and the 1973 cable is from a 01/18/73 build. My brown 72 Imperial (build 03/15/72) has the same long cable as the 73. I will be sending off to get the cables remade by Evan’s Wiring, finally after all this time.

View attachment 647582

Pictures don’t lie.
I apologize for my question coming off wrong. I have a 1972 Imperial 2-door hardtop. Today I added a group 27 battery and the negative cable length was too short. That cable worked fine for a Group 24 battery. I didn't have a tape measure with me at storage when I went over there. I used a dollar bill for a rough-ruler and come up with about a 21-inch cable that is on my car; (Picture attached with Group 24 battery showing the shortness of my cable). I'd like to have a longer one made and thought if you had the two measurements of the 1972 cable and the 1973 cable you have in your picture, I could make a judgement call and have one built by Evans Wiring based on your measurements saving me a trip back over to storage. My apology for any miscommunication. Thank you. Respectfully, Ron Madden.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.22.46 PM.png

I apologize for my question coming off wrong. I have a 1972 Imperial 2-door hardtop. Today I added a group 27 battery and the negative cable length was too short. That cable worked fine for a Group 24 battery. I didn't have a tape measure with me at storage when I went over there. I used a dollar bill for a rough-ruler and come up with about a 21-inch cable that is on my car; (Picture attached with Group 24 battery showing the shortness of my cable). I'd like to have a longer one made and thought if you had the two measurements of the 1972 cable and the 1973 cable you have in your picture, I could make a judgement call and have one built by Evans Wiring based on your measurements saving me a trip back over to storage. My apology for any miscommunication. Thank you. Respectfully, Ron Madden.

View attachment 658024

As stated there is an early cable and a late cable. Evan’s Wiring is who made the new ones for me.

I don’t recall the lengths but I had ones with enough length to reach the batteries. I want to say 48” for the later style that is from the base of the terminal to the center of the eyelet on the engine end.

Back