72 Newport E99 D99 car

I'm a bit pissed off until someone clears this up for me. Someone makes a deal , with a deposit and the car is sold to someone else? Am I understanding this right? Ray, help me out here...

yeah dave. i was (still am a bit) pissed at the whole thing. Been chasing this unicorn for 20+ years.

In hindsight, making this deal was harder than it needed to be. Another member called the seller after seller was NOT returning my calls two weeks ago. Plus, my calls with seller gave me a few "hmm ...", head-scratchin' moments.

thanks to you and the other members for helping out btw. i only got to the game with you guys' help.

Whatever the case, in the end the answers are with the seller. He knows the "what fer" on the whole deal. If there was something NOT on the "up and up"? Again, deals are funny.

That said, I am like a two-year old on this .. it was "yesterday" and I've "pert near" forgotten all about it :)

At least i know where a unicorn is now. On to this tread about a really cool car!

Wow, great catch @m38jeepman! Sorry you missed it Ray, but we are all big boys here, and it stays in the US for now ( :poke:@polara71, LOL).

I don’t really see anything a foul about the deal. Seller was hedging his bets, deposit via mail, versus payment by check. I might have done the same thing, although been more upfront about it. If the check was bad, I’d still have an offer on the hook. It takes a good 10 days for paper to clear.

The question still remains....how many other Chrysler branded cars out there with full-on special order specs??

Congratulations on getting the car. This is one of my favourite cars that has surfaced over the last few years. My simple test to confirm if a car is a good one or not is to show it to my wife. When I showed her this car and explained what it was she simply said to buy it.

I am sorry it didn't work out for Ray and I will never know how it would have turned out if I would have just pulled the trigger on it.

Looks like it had a good home now with someone who can appreciate it for what it is. I am looking forward to hearing more about it as you spend more time with the car.

I bet this will be one heck of a road car when its all sorted out. Mam I would love to take it out for a nice cruise.

Best of luck with it!

Dave

Very nice car and interesting history. Definitely one to be preserved.

I have the carb off replacing the accelerator pump. The carb is a 6253. That is the correct carb for a 440 hp with auto trans in 72.

20181113_110302.jpg

That carb would not have generated a "99" code unless there is something weird about the jetting. It also has the electric throttle solenoid which kicked in with a light bar activation on some police packages to raise engine RPMs and keep the battery from going dead on long idle periods with the police accessories running. This is similar to the solenoid that could also be used to raise RPMs with the A/C running at idle. The 99 code was probably generated by the solenoid if it was part of the police option package.

Dave

I’m thinking if the engine was 99, (non standard for the application) then associated pieces would also be 99. We see that in the exhaust coding also. I’d be surprised to not see all the 99s.

I’m thinking if the engine was 99, (non standard for the application) then associated pieces would also be 99. We see that in the exhaust coding also. I’d be surprised to not see all the 99s.

Agree about the 99's for the exhaust etc, what is curious to me, unless I am not remembering correctly, was that the U code engine was still available for this application, so what makes this one so special that it needed all those 99 codes? It would appear that it has standard high performance manifolds and the correct carb for the application. Makes me wonder if it was a T-Code spec'd with the better manifolds and exhaust. For most other Mopar applications, this would have been part of the "Special Order" police package and would have generated standard coding. Might be something unique to this particular production plant. Anyway it is something of a head spinner for me.

Dave

Last edited:
yeah dave. i was (still am a bit) pissed at the whole thing. Been chasing this unicorn for 20+ years.

In hindsight, making this deal was harder than it needed to be. Another member called the seller after seller was NOT returning my calls two weeks ago. Plus, my calls with seller gave me a few "hmm ...", head-scratchin' moments.

thanks to you and the other members for helping out btw. i only got to the game with you guys' help.

Whatever the case, in the end the answers are with the seller. He knows the "what fer" on the whole deal. If there was something NOT on the "up and up"? Again, deals are funny.

That said, I am like a two-year old on this .. it was "yesterday" and I've "pert near" forgotten all about it :)

At least i know where a unicorn is now. On to this tread about a really cool car!

The only way I can get over this Ray is to think how I insisted this was the real deal to everyone and few listened . You napped too long ...:thumbsup:

I can get the car up on the lift and check the engine assembly date if needed.
These Chrysler models were not available with the U code in the VIN or broadcast sheet. All 440 cars were coded T for 440 and you could get a dual exhaust T code engine in any 72 Chrysler.
This car however was ordered with the Fury U code engine for police duty. That means it has the HP carb, larger exhaust manifold exits, and larger "slit cut" tailpipes. I don't know if the camshaft was different or not?? That is why all power train spots are coded 99 or 999. Like I said in an earlier post even the VEC label spot is coded 99. For this emblem on the air cleaner lid:

20181110_170619.jpg

The only way I can get over this Ray is to think how I insisted this was the real deal to everyone and few listened . You napped too long ...:thumbsup:

I called seller same day you wrote 'this is real". Two days went by without a reply. another member, ahead of me in the cue, said to me "you really want it, let me help" and called seller.

Seller returned my call, I agreed to his full asking price, offered wire transfer next day. I was not given that opportunity since electronic payments were not possible. When he accepted my offer verbally a deposit was sent.

Coulda sent it ALL .. didnt do that pending a KCMO member looking at it FOR me. Seller coulda been more forthcoming .. but in his mind may he was being rational.

End of day, yup I had more than enough time to make a deal weeks ago. Rome was burnin' and I was fiddlin'... snapping up slabbies UNTIL you and Beep Beep Dave confirmed this car was "real" and I awoke from my indifference on it.

I will just have to find another one -- 'cept I cant wait another 20 yrs. :)

Last edited:
I am sorry about making people feel bad about the car. The seller was super nice to me and did everything I asked of him. You must put yourself in his shoes and realize the difficulties of selling a car to folks a thousand miles away. Let me explain the time frame for everyone.
I saw the car for sale on facebook and thought it looked interesting.
I called him Saturday, Oct 27. I asked for certain pics of the car. I wanted to see specific spots under the hood, on the dash and inside the trunk. He promptly sent them too me. Once I saw the pics, I called him back. I told him it was sold and I would mail the check on Monday Oct 29, which I did.
Everything works electronically now, so by Saturday Nov 3rd the funds had already cleared my account.
I then arranged shipping and the car was picked up Thursday Nov 8th and delivered to me Saturday Nov 10th.

Last edited:
I am sorry about making people feel bad about the car. The seller was super nice to me and did everything I asked of him. You must put yourself in his shoes and realize the difficulties of selling a car to folks a thousand miles away. Let me explain the time frame for everyone.
I called him Saturday, Oct 27. I asked for certain pics of the car. I wanted to see specific spots under the hood, on the dash and inside the trunk. He promptly sent them too me. Once I saw the pics, I called him back. I told him it was sold and I would mail the check on Monday Oct 29, which I did.
Everything works electronically now, so by Saturday Nov 3rd the funds had already cleared my account.
I then arranged shipping and the car was picked up Thursday Nov 8th and delivered to me Saturday Nov 10th.

Thanks for that chief but you are 100% good by me. Enjoy it. Think about me if you decide its time to find it a new home for it someday.

I WONT diss the seller BUT I wish I knew MORE about where he was in the sales cycle than he disclosed to me.

I wont speak for polara71 -- my "PO'd" feeling is situational: I thought I had it, was not informed by seller that I didnt have it (he just went silent until i wised up i was out), until it resurfaced here. not how i roll as a seller .. but its still cool.

So its a beautiful day in the FCBO neighborhood .. lets talk cars, not "spilt milk", again. :)

Last edited:

No problems man , be happy about your purchase . Im glad someone here bought it . I kicked the can talking about it but I have a PLAN . BBD and I talked about it on the 26th through PMs . A lot of Pm's on the 26th and 27th when Ray got in the mix . He did reach out on the 27th also but after that I dont know . He did say in a PM on the 30th that it was his . I almost get the impression the seller sold it twice . Perhaps he was covering his *** in case one buyer backed out :confused: .
Since I am an acquaintance of Ray's and Dave's I am disappointed they didnt get it . I believe Dave stopped the pursuit because Ray was interested . I cant dwell on it but damn it something is in the woodpile . I'm certain you'll do it justice but I dont know that, time will tell. Good luck with it man, shes a rare piece .

Sorry you didn't get it done, Ray. I'm still not reconciled with the shitty communication gave back to you by the seller.
Ain't right and it kills me it's done.

Thanks for that chief but you are 100% good by me. Enjoy it. Think about me if you decide its time to find it a new home for it someday.

I WONT diss the seller BUT I wish I knew MORE about where he was in the sales cycle than he disclosed to me.

I wont speak for polara71 -- my "PO'd" feeling is situational: I thought I had it, was not informed by seller that I didnt have it (he just went silent until i wised up i was out), until it resurfaced here. not how i roll as a seller .. but its still cool.

So its a beautiful day in the FCBO neighborhood .. lets talk cars, not "spilt milk", again. :)
Got it!
Yes sir, if I decide to sell it, I will let you know.

Im sure the fellow selling it did not know who to believe. All he was doing was trying to make sure that he had a for sure sale lined up, I guess. It is best to let everyone know what is going on though and that is the seller's responsibility!!!

I can get the car up on the lift and check the engine assembly date if needed.
These Chrysler models were not available with the U code in the VIN or broadcast sheet. All 440 cars were coded T for 440 and you could get a dual exhaust T code engine in any 72 Chrysler.
This car however was ordered with the Fury U code engine for police duty. That means it has the HP carb, larger exhaust manifold exits, and larger "slit cut" tailpipes. I don't know if the camshaft was different or not?? That is why all power train spots are coded 99 or 999. Like I said in an earlier post even the VEC label spot is coded 99. For this emblem on the air cleaner lid:

View attachment 229345

The 440 police engine was generally the same for any vehicle line the police package was offered on, either in T-Code, or U code. Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler Cruisers offered a wide variety of Special Orders for engine and other police options also available on any vehicle the police package was offered on. Purpose built cruisers would usually have a DK, PK or CK prefix, but other models could be optioned up if the police agency so requested. (Look for the K order prefix) Washington State Patrol ran cruisers that were PM prefixed, a Fury 3 optioned up to the full police package. I worked on a lot of these variously configured cruisers, and the specific vehicle in this thread is the first one I have seen with all the "99" codes. But as with many things Mopar, about the time you think you have it figured out, along comes something completely different. In any case good luck with your purchase.

Dave

Agree about the 99's for the exhaust etc, what is curious to me, unless I am not remembering correctly, was that the U code engine was still available for this application, so what makes this one so special that it needed all those 99 codes? It would appear that it has standard high performance manifolds and the correct carb for the application. Makes me wonder if it was a T-Code spec'd with the better manifolds and exhaust. For most other Mopar applications, this would have been part of the "Special Order" police package and would have generated standard coding. Might be something unique to this particular production plant. Anyway it is something of a head spinner for me.

Dave
I agree.

The OP says it’s an HP assembly.

I think we’re probably overthinking this. It’s likely an E86 application in a car that wasn’t supposed to have anything more than the E85 assembly. That would trigger a bunch of 99 override codes.

A picture of the front engine pad would show the HP stamp and engine assembly date.

Back