72 Newport E99 D99 car

m38jeepman

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought this newport about 3 weeks ago. This is the car that was causing all of the interesting questions over in the for sale forum. It just arrived yesterday at my shop in MS. Here are a few pics of it:

20181111_144440.jpg

20181111_144628.jpg

20181111_144514.jpg

Missouri was known for running some weird cars. Multiple colors, odd makes and models.

Yes I do.
Missouri did buy Chryslers and some years they bought Mercury police units.
Look at all the 99 and 999 codes. All special order stuff, (for a Chrysler) right down to the mufflers and tailpipes.

20181111_143007.jpg

00D0D_8zdfr9KaDI1_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
This is the sticker that is on the air cleaner. There is no under hood emission control sticker on this car. If you notice it is coded 99 on the broadcast sheet.
It says: "service and parts information is the same as for plymouth fury high performance 440 police engine".

20181110_170619.jpg

Glad this car got picked up and saved, it will be interesting to see if you can find some history on it and how it served.

Thanks! I am going to do a little carb tuning and general maintenance, and it will be ready to go. It needs good set of tires also.
I haven't had any luck on any service history on it. The previous owner said it was used in a governor's motorcade, but who knows. It did have a whip antenna on the drivers quarter panel, but it was filled in when the car was painted and the vinyl top added.

20181110_171506.jpg

20181110_171520.jpg

This car is a bit different. I think the E99 code and the 99 code in general was a sort of catch all code for non-standard user specified options. Given the 99 codes on the engine, carb, exhaust and tail pipes with the max cool option, I suspect this possibly could have been a "Maximum Performance" cruiser. It is also possible that this vehicle might have been built as an "Exempt" unit that was not covered under clean air regulations, that might also explain the 99 codes on the carb and exhaust. If government agencies filled out the proper paperwork and got approval, exemptions were possible, though not common. If anyone has a copy of the fleet order guide, it should be possible verify what was covered under the Police Special Order section. I am perplexed as to why this particular vehicle does not have not have a "Special Order" tag next to the build tag as that was standard practice. It also has the "T" engine code and a blue painted engine which is not any help as all 440 engines in '72 were blue. Can not see enough of the exhaust to see if it has the high performance manifolds or not. Clearly spec'd as a police cruiser, with the HD Battery and A/C cutoff and certified speedo, but is not showing much use in that category (Clean and not beat up) unless it has been restored.

Dave

If it has a oddball carb number, then it might well be a Max performance car.

Dave

Carb AND distributor numbers? Rear axle ratio tag?

CBODY67

Maybe this is what he meant with his weird spongebob reference?
Wait! WTF? I thought Ray had a deposit on this car and the owner went MIA?

gentlemen. Seller accepted verbal offer at his asking price a bit over two weeks ago. refused deposit via mail (returned two days ago). did not meet my "emissary" to inspect the car before final paymnt. THEN went MIA 12 days ago.

please .. nobody rag on seller or my screwed-up deal. sh*t happens with long-distance deals. cash in hand in person tends to work best when electronic means are unavaialbe. i will chalk it up to that.

i aint gonna let my botched deal spoil the fun of a new appreciative owner. congrats m38jeepman. seems like it found a good home.

i will not use spongebob as my avatar again :)

Maybe this is what he meant with his weird spongebob reference?

I'm a bit pissed off until someone clears this up for me. Someone makes a deal , with a deposit and the car is sold to someone else? Am I understanding this right? Ray, help me out here...

Thanks amazinblue. I didn't waste any time when I saw the car for sale. I called the guy, he sent me pics of all the things I requested and I sent him a check.

I promise it is in good hands. I am not a flipper. I love C bodies and it isn't going anywhere, except inside out of the weather, when its bad.

Back