72 Newport E99 D99 car

I agree.

The OP says it’s an HP assembly.

I think we’re probably overthinking this. It’s likely an E86 application in a car that wasn’t supposed to have anything more than the E85 assembly. That would trigger a bunch of 99 override codes.

A picture of the front engine pad would show the HP stamp and engine assembly date.
I agree that we are overthinking this.
This car does have a K prefix on the order number. Most every mopar police car that I have looked at, K code or not had the K prefix in the order number.
I don't know if these engines made after 71 had HP stamped on them or not? Maybe someone else here knows.

I agree that we are overthinking this.
This car does have a K prefix on the order number. Most every mopar police car that I have looked at, K code or not had the K prefix in the order number.
I don't know if these engines made after 71 had HP stamped on them or not? Maybe someone else here knows.

Pretty simple. Look on the pad at the front of the engine. I’m guessing you’ll find the HP stamp.

I am sorry about making people feel bad about the car. The seller was super nice to me and did everything I asked of him. You must put yourself in his shoes and realize the difficulties of selling a car to folks a thousand miles away. Let me explain the time frame for everyone.
I saw the car for sale on facebook and thought it looked interesting.
I called him Saturday, Oct 27. I asked for certain pics of the car. I wanted to see specific spots under the hood, on the dash and inside the trunk. He promptly sent them too me. Once I saw the pics, I called him back. I told him it was sold and I would mail the check on Monday Oct 29, which I did.
Everything works electronically now, so by Saturday Nov 3rd the funds had already cleared my account.
I then arranged shipping and the car was picked up Thursday Nov 8th and delivered to me Saturday Nov 10th.

Its funny I too seen it on Facebook, I missed it when it first made an appearance on here. I thought about it for a couple of days before I contacted the seller and was one day ahead of you. I agree the seller was great to talk to. He said when he bought it the owner was sure him and his brother were just going to pull the 440!

I was having a hard time wondering why this car was still available and while researching it and waiting for additional pictures I realized how much this was the car Ray was looking for. So instead of pulling the trigger with the additional pics he had sent me I forwarded all my info on to Ray.

I hope you continue updating us on the car. I have saved all the pics as it is such a cool car. Once you get it running good I would love to hear it running so a quick video would be great!

Dave

Agreeing with Dave. I was never in the hunt to buy, but this was one I was really excited to see. I love the obscure ones with stories. Please keep the updates coming and give a heads up if you're bringing it to any of the Southeast shows. Would love to see it in person.

I finally had time to take some pics to confirm the engine. The front pad was not easy to photograph because of the compressor, and I had to remove one of the spark plug wire holders that was partially covering it.
The casting date looks like 3-13-72.
No 400 disguised as a 440 here. Its the real thing.
20181115_172827.jpg

20181115_172920.jpg

20181114_112855.jpg

20181114_112710.jpg

You would appear to have a numbers matching engine in your cruiser, good find. (Most have had at least one engine change) HP stamp on the boss confirms it is a steel crank engine. Check the harmonic balancer, if it is a round unit, the engine is internally balanced, if the center section is egg shaped, it is an externally balanced engine. The externally balanced engines usually have the heavier rods. HP1 means the engine was produced on the first shift, HP2 was on the second shift, no difference in the engines between first or second shift.

Dave

I wish I didn’t have such a problem with b-pillars on a 4 door. This car is interesting and a unique survivor but I just don’t like a sedan from the belt line up.

I wish I didn’t have such a problem with b-pillars on a 4 door. This car is interesting and a unique survivor but I just don’t like a sedan from the belt line up.
I'm afraid I'm the same way. To each their own and the world's diversity is better for it.

I'm afraid I'm the same way. To each their own and the world's diversity is better for it.
Very true. Everyone likes what they like. My personal favorites are the 67 and 68 imperials.

On a car like this newport, how would you have ordered a car like this from a dealer in 72? Is there a special government order book that would describe these engine options? Just curious.

Chryslers had three steering wheels in 72: the 3-spoke one and two different types with two spokes of which the fixed was standard for the then-new New Yorker Brougham.

72_Chrysler_Features_2.jpg

Chryslers had three steering wheels in 72: the 3-spoke one and two different types with two spokes of which the fixed was standard for the then-new New Yorker Brougham.

View attachment 230908
But it's not the same wheel. So you know automatically if a car has tilt or not by seeing the wheel which was my point. You don't need to see the column to know.
I learned that many years ago after having one of each

Last edited:
@m38jeepman - you have not posted for a while, would love an update on the car.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to see any specific areas just ask. I will get them for you.
Would you have photos of the exhaust by any chance? Do you know if it is original?

Last edited:
Back