727 Transmission Rebuild

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am about to order a master overhaul kit for my RB block 727. ebay lists a wide variety of manufactures offering replacement parts. Who are reliable and who are questionable. This is a pre 71 727 transmission. This rebuild will include a rebuilt front pump and torque convertor. All seal rings, o rings, bands and bushings will be replaced. Who is a reputable company to buy from. Its been a few years since my last 727 rebuild, I just want some up to date info. Thanks

I rebuilt my 727 last winter. I will have to dig thru some paperwork to find who I bought from. Im very satisfied with the parts and price.

Update
I purchased from Norcal Trasmission. They had everything I wanted. I can send you a list of parts if you want.

Last edited:
For stock rebuild I like transtar. If you are looking to add extra clutch discs and steals for extra holding power I order from PATC they have performance kits that include red eagle clutches and kolene steals and Kevlar bands. I have used PATC parts to build 727’s to handle 800+ hp and 904’s up to 500 hp. You can also pick and choose what parts you want to upgrade.

I rebuilt my 727 last winter. I will have to dig thru some paperwork to find who I bought from. Im very satisfied with the parts and price.

Update
I purchased from Norcal Trasmission. They had everything I wanted. I can send you a list of parts if you want.
Any receipts and part numbers will be most beneficial. By the way empty your inbox because it is full.

I am building a 77 era 727. I ordered the full kit from Monster Trans. It is a good kit and has everything you need. I then added upgraded planetaries from A&A. (ggod people to deal with) Instead of brass thrust bearings their upgraded planetaries have small roller bearing thrust bearings. But, this is probably way more than what you need behind a stock engine. My engine is a 512, so I need something to stand up to the torque from that.

Here is what I bought for my rebuild. My mailbox is empty now. Didn’t have any idea it was full!

6AA4FEC6-5DD6-4D5B-9E87-3223BAEE4425.jpeg

I was upgrading my 1965 727 from the small input shaft to the later design when I did the rebuild. I needed this in order to get a newer design torque converter because you really can't but the old ones anymore and I wanted to up the stall speed a bit. I searched for a low mileage motor home 727 or pickup trans and found a MH one with about 45K miles on it. from that I used the input shaft, pump, sprag and the heavier planetary gears. All of these parts were in great shape and save me a small fortune in part costs.

Here are the improved- 4 posts/4 gear vs original 3 post/3 gear planetary gears:

BCXC3846.JPG

OGJJ5392.JPG

I am in the process off ordering parts for my A727 rebuild. This is a pre 1971 torqueflite. The photo below is the id # stamped on the case. The front four post planetarys are worn out. All the thrust bearings show significant wear, the four post planetarys being the worst. The tail shaft roller bearing is also heavily worn.
Question, who offers thrust bearings for sale. I have found many listings for 1971 and later applications, but none for 1970 and earlier. Will also need a front pump and a torque converter. My main interest is in quality parts.

20220208_191437.jpg

Back