What is a good source of a rebuilt A-727 transmission?

Pingvinov

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm planning to replace my 727 transmission. The one that I'm going to retire is this: TCI Auto 111000 TCI StreetFighter Transmissions | Summit Racing
I got it from Summit Racing 25 years ago. Back then it was priced under $800. It's been a good tranny, but time takes toll on everything.
I could get another one from TCI, but I dont really neen a box rated for 625 hp. My 400 doesn't make anything close to it and i use my Fury as a weekend cruiser. So I thought I could do with a lower priced transmission from a good reliable shop that's not so much of an overkill for my ride. If anyone can suggest a transmission shop with a good reputation for quality work, I would really really appreciate. I'm looking for a complete transmission, not a rebuild kit.

A&A transmission, or John Cope Transmission. They are both in Indiana, USA and they are both top-notch. Either of them can provide you with a trans strong enough for a Mopar rocket, or a mild mannered restoration project.

A&A transmission, or John Cope Transmission. They are both in Indiana, USA and they are both top-notch. Either of them can provide you with a trans strong enough for a Mopar rocket, or a mild mannered restoration project.
I couldn't be happier with the transmission I got from Cope.

If you were in Moscow Michigan I could build one for you, that's only a few miles from my house. :)

Are you in Moscow, like back in the USSR?
Yeah, its a 40 minute walk to Kremlin from where I live.

DSC03652.JPG

This is what John Cope wrote on his web page:
After some long and hard thinking, I am going to stop building transmissions on a national and global scale. I can not to continue to do the job of five guys anymore. The stress is going to kill me. The shop is busier then ever before. But it is totally impossible to find skilled workers to keep up with the demand.
I spent my life growing CRT and now I have to limit the growth of the shop .
If you have a transmission on order at this time, it will get done. However I am not taking any new orders on complete transmissions and going to limit the in car services at the shop.
I am going to focus on the parts end of the biz, offer more technical videos, more technical support to the customer.
I have more new products coming soon.
John Cope

I will check with A&A Transmissions. Thank you!

Curious:
Why are you retiring the transmission?
What are symptoms/problems?
How many miles since install?
Hello,
I'm planning to replace my 727 transmission. The one that I'm going to retire is this: TCI Auto 111000 TCI StreetFighter Transmissions | Summit Racing
I got it from Summit Racing 25 years ago. Back then it was priced under $800. It's been a good tranny, but time takes toll on everything.
I could get another one from TCI, but I dont really neen a box rated for 625 hp. My 400 doesn't make anything close to it and i use my Fury as a weekend cruiser. So I thought I could do with a lower priced transmission from a good reliable shop that's not so much of an overkill for my ride. If anyone can suggest a transmission shop with a good reputation for quality work, I would really really appreciate. I'm looking for a complete transmission, not a rebuild kit.

Hello,
I ordered one from Summit last year. Waited several weeks and when it came it was 727 but for wrong model car, short. Contacted Summit and discovered they don’t ship but rather comes directly from another vendor and they are just the middle man. Summit contacted vendor who said they didn’t have what I ordered so they sent what they had. They said to call them, the vendor, and they would provide, over the phone, to me or my mechanic, help in modifying the car to make it fit! I sent it back and got full refund. I know Summit is large and well known but they are not my go to vendor anymore. With the time it takes to order and receive now days, to risky if they are just the middleman. Very disappointed in Summit that this could even occur. Ended up rebuilding what I had. Be careful!

Curious:
Why are you retiring the transmission?
What are symptoms/problems?
How many miles since install?
I'm a bit embarrassed to give you the reasons for doing this because they may sound ridiculous at first sight, but here's the deal:

The transmission has been on my car for 25 years, but the milage is laughable. I dont have a number, but I hardly drive this car more than 3-4K miles a year, some years even less. Last summer it started kicking during shifts from first to second. It's not bad, but enough for me to notice and feel bad about it. Besides, the transmission leaks fluid. I have to add ATF regularly. I tried to find the leak. The first obvious place was the Neutral and Backup Safety Switch. The fluid was going right through it quite visibly. I thought it was a bad switch and I replaced it twice. New switches leaked as well. Then I made a plug in the shape of this switch and put it in the tranny. A steel plug couldn’t leak, but something else did – I keep finding a little puddle of ATF on the garage floor and it’s not coming through the pan seal. Altogether this makes me want to fix my transmission.

The most obvious solution would be to take the tranny to a local transmission shop, but not where I live. Transmission shops around here tend to take you to the cleaners regardless of what you ask them to do. I have talked to some friendly guys from one such place and they told me off the record that if they take this job it’s going to cost me at least $2K. That is only one part of my concern. The other has to do with availability of parts and delivery time. We don’t have many vintage Mopars driving around here and 727 is a rear species in this part of the world. This means that whatever parts I may need they’d have to be flown in from the US. A delivery cycle these days is around 4 weeks at best. Plus the shop would want to buy parts for me instead of asking me to get them. They want to be able to charge me 2-3 times more than what they pay for it in the US. I can relate to that, but the problem is they don’t know where to get parts for an old box and its going to take forever before they find them. I could buy parts quickly, but they wont let me and even if I did that still means at least 4-5 weeks delivery for everything I buy.

The bottom line is, If I try to fix my Torqueflight locally, its going to take several months and I’ll end up paying more than I would if I buy a well rebuilt transmission in the US and fly it over.

I ordered one from Summit last year. Waited several weeks and when it came it was 727 but for wrong model car, short. Contacted Summit and discovered they don’t ship but rather comes directly from another vendor and they are just the middle man. Summit contacted vendor who said they didn’t have what I ordered so they sent what they had. They said to call them, the vendor, and they would provide, over the phone, to me or my mechanic, help in modifying the car to make it fit! I sent it back and got full refund. I know Summit is large and well known but they are not my go to vendor anymore. With the time it takes to order and receive now days, to risky if they are just the middleman. Very disappointed in Summit that this could even occur. Ended up rebuilding what I had. Be careful!
Sounds very familiar. I've seen those kinds of things happen more than once. In my case things are aggravated buy sky high rates for overseas delivery and custom clearance - the costs that no one is going to refund.

First, check the adjustment of the throttle linkage from the trans to the carb. Follow the service manual for the easy procedure.

Next, as seems to be really common with these transmission leak "diagnosis", chances are it's not coming from where you think. Generally, it's the shifter shaft seal that's leaking and that's not too bad to change.

TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement

As you can see, there's a tool that allows the seal replacement in the car, with the pan and valvebody in place. That's all good, if you can get the tool. The next way is dropping the pan and valvebody, which really isn't that big a deal, and replacing it with the valvebody out. That's just a little more work than a fluid and filter change. It also let's you put a good trans pan gasket in place.

I would do this before spending $$$ (or whatever the money is there) and it's just an afternoon's work.

First, check the adjustment of the throttle linkage from the trans to the carb. Follow the service manual for the easy procedure.

Next, as seems to be really common with these transmission leak "diagnosis", chances are it's not coming from where you think. Generally, it's the shifter shaft seal that's leaking and that's not too bad to change.

TF 727 "How To" shift lever seal replacement

As you can see, there's a tool that allows the seal replacement in the car, with the pan and valvebody in place. That's all good, if you can get the tool. The next way is dropping the pan and valvebody, which really isn't that big a deal, and replacing it with the valvebody out. That's just a little more work than a fluid and filter change. It also let's you put a good trans pan gasket in place.

I would do this before spending $$$ (or whatever the money is there) and it's just an afternoon's work.
Thank you! I'll try that first.

As Big John suggested, check the throttle linkage from the carb to the trans. Since you say "some shifts" are quite hard, could the linkage be binding, or could the return spring be weak, misplaced or missing? It would be a shame to replace the trans unnecessiarly. Throttle affects shift points and harshness. Just a thought. Lindsay

Yes, thats what I meant. It used to always shift very smoothly so that I'd hardly notice the change of gear. Now some shifts from the first into the second are quite hard.
I also agree with adjusting the rod in the slot. Pull lower rod 1/8 inch forward and see if the shift points change. Probably not off by much since it was right.
PXL_20210526_180111843.jpg

Back