73 FURY III parts or fix.

McPherson 57

Reaction score
I found this Fury for sale on the side of the road. We have a 73 that I've been wanting a parts car for. After driving this home (40) miles I may have changed my mind. I need some parts as you can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way it drives and runs perfect.

IMG_6273.JPG

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

What a shame. Looks like a really nice clean car before the damage. Too nice to be a parts car but too much damage to repair. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

The guy I bought it off was rear ended as he was turning into his driveway. A mid size ford SUV hit it. There were many ford parts spread out after the 60 MPH impact.

The wrinkle in the 6 pillar tells me that if you were to put it on a rack that the right side rear frame rail likely has a kink also.

Nick

That being said, as Chris said, it's too nice for parts, but too much damage to make repair viable

That is a real downer to see what was once such a nice '73 four door hard top meet its end. Unless you did collision work and had a frame machine and had access to all the necessary parts it would be very cost prohibitive to fix.

Seeing that makes me cringe.... What a shame... Some moron texting undoubtedly, not paying attention, and wiped out a creampuff of a dream machine....
A shame to part out rather than fix... It makes all of us who responded here sad to feel the pain....
4/5ths of a beautiful car....

If the car is as clean as it looks, I'd make an attempt to fix it. It can't hurt to run it by a body shop that has a unibody rack and see what they think. In the right hands, that type of damage will sometimes pull right out. '73's are pretty easy to find parts for and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find an NOS quarter for it. Believe it or not, the toughest item of all to get will be the reverse lamp assy.

Jeff

It's not a question of whether it can be fixed as anything "can" be fixed. It's a matter of why would you put at least double the value of a car into repairing it. Now if it was a high dollar rare and desirable car it would be repaired for sure however this car is not that. This was a clean car in great colors but unless you bought this car new and had great sentimental value attached to it let it live on in other cars.

The only way to make the repair practical is if you could do most of the work yourself, other than the pulling on the rack. The key would be to find a good shop that's not going to kill you on the cost of the pulls. If you could get it pulled out for $750 or less, and do the rest yourself, you should be able to get it back together for 2 grand out of pocket, maybe $2500.

An alternative would be to find an affordable, sun-baked car from the southwest and transfer all the mint parts off of the wrecked car. Either way though, I think the final cost is going to be about the same.

Jeff

Find a repair shop that is: A: Competent B: will work on it over a year or less as "fill in" and C: reasonable repair estimate taking the first two items in account.

Find a repair shop that is: A: Competent B: will work on it over a year or less as "fill in" and C: reasonable repair estimate taking the first two items in account.
Exactly the reason it's a parts car now. The only shops that are willing and are capable of working on this car will charge you Hemi 'cuda labor rates.

Also is there a High School, Tech College or Prison that offers a Body Shop course that this would be a good candidate for.

The kink in the roof panel suggests that the frame rail and the surrounding body metal is probably toast and that it is is probably not a candidate for the frame shop. It will be more practical as noted above to take the front clip, doors, running gear and interior and transfer them to another body, a rebirth of sorts. That will leave you paying for a repaint, but probably a much cheaper alternative than trying to repair the car as is, especially if you can do the transplant yourself.

Dave

Back