For Sale 73 Imperial daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood. I'll let you know as soon as I can stop coughing. Going to the DR today. Work sent me home yesterday.
If you fly in I can pick you up from your choice of airport and let you get a good look at the car and the details.
I can tell you this much, if you want to check it out on a map, I drove from Phila to Edgwater park NJ to see friends, then drove to Glenside afterwards for my work shift. Then back to NE phila after we closed. So how many miles in one day?
The carburetor seems to be behaving itself and the car rides pretty solid at all speeds. Since I got it inspected I've had it over 80.
As far as I know, all the things that would cause a problem have been replaced. I replace the lower hose 2 years ago, upper hose is fine, the belts back in April, I went through all the brakes , and I replaced the RF wheel bearings. Years ago I replaced the entire axle drum to drum with one from DVAP in AZ. When I did the rear drums I noted the axle bearings and seals were fine no leaks. I replaced the WP in 2015, and on 7/4/15, the fan clutch too.
I did the timing chain in 2005 at 155K, and when I check it, still right on the money at 10* btdc.
The car rides pretty solid because I use monroe sensatracs/ spectrums shocks. the rear ones look weathered but still operate fine. Imperials don't have that "cadillac" ride because of the torsion bars and leafs, but it rides comfortably and handles fairly well all things considered.
Since I've had the car, I replaced the upper control arm bushings, ball joints, and now the lower control arm bushings. I also sent my idler arm to rare parts to be rebuilt in 2006. The rest of the parts are still good because I have always lubed the grease fittings. The steering pulls somewhat to the left, but alignment is still pretty good.
The hardest parts to get for these cars in the idler arm and the brake rotors. If youre in a junk yard and see 70 to 73 Imperial, take the rotors and the idler arm as a core to be rebuilt someday.

Trans was rebuilt in 2013 and shifts very solidly. If you're doing 50 or so on the highway, and floor it, it will accelerate very well up to 90 and beyond. I've had the car up to about 105.

Sounds very good, if you can't talk today I understand. I work 12 hour days tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, so it might be best to talk on the phone Monday when I'm home. Hope you feel better.

It was good to talk to you last night Gregg. Flight to Philly is booked, looking forward to a 12 hour C body roadtrip :D

It was good to talk to you last night Gregg. Flight to Philly is booked, looking forward to a 12 hour C body roadtrip :D
This is great news! So you are driving her home? No trailer? You should photo document the trip. This would be a great new thread.

I am very, very impressed. You are doing something I couldn'T do. First, I don'T fly...and being a control freak...i'd have to have 4 spare tires, xtra gas, backup parts for anything that could go bad, etc....this is quite the adventure. Be safe. And what about those dang toll booths???

I am very, very impressed. You are doing something I couldn'T do. First, I don'T fly...and being a control freak...i'd have to have 4 spare tires, xtra gas, backup parts for anything that could go bad, etc....this is quite the adventure. Be safe. And what about those dang toll booths???
The toll booths still only charge by axle........ :rofl:

Yep, a friend of mine and I are flying out and driving back. Gregg seems to have gone over the car thouroghly in the past 15 years and the fact that he's still driving it daily says something. We intend to get it up to a leisurely cruising speed on the Interstate and just hold it steady...the gamble of a trouble free trip is certainly thrilling

Don-- I agree on the no flying. Flying hasnt been fun since I flew on Eastern many years ago. When I drive, I'm in control and I can stop whenever I want, and take with me whatever I want.
Extra parts? Probably wont need them, but I got 4 extra ballast resistors, an ECU, and a VR. The tires are good, full size spare and jack. Plus wheelcovers, the 1973 Chassis manual, and some other stuff.
I've made the adventure a few times--Pauls driving from Illinois- I bought the car from Boise and drove back to ATL, about 2500 miles. The same year, I bought a 1972 NY from Detroit and drove back to ATL, much shorter drive.

Don-- I agree on the no flying. Flying hasnt been fun since I flew on Eastern many years ago.
Last flight I went on, I paid attention til we got above the clouds, played some solitaire on my phone,then fell asleep until 5 minutes before we landed. It was the worst turbulence I've experienced, til I slept like a baby. The lady next to me was freaking out, I finally told her that, yes, she could walk to the bathroom after the captain turned on the seat belt sign. If I'm not the one in control, I don't fret, I just try to relax and enjoy the scenery around me.

And a road trip is always a great idea, IMO.

Just remembered that last summer I picked up an Imperial patch
20170908_112125.jpg

Thanks Gregg...these videos are fun to watch...hope you and maybe Paul will make more...possibly on the trip home...that would be classic. Capture the adventurous roadtrip!

It would be cool to see the Imperial in front of any diner you guys stop at or where you refuel, or any backdrop really, etc...it would be a fine story that a TV news station could run with.

The plan is to take pictures and film as we go. I'm not much on narrating video, but will do my best. Keep up the videos Gregg, they are fun to watch. Some pics of the outside would be nice too. Don't worry, there isn't any body work or damage that is going to discourage me.

The plan is to take pictures and film as we go. I'm not much on narrating video, but will do my best. Keep up the videos Gregg, they are fun to watch. Some pics of the outside would be nice too. Don't worry, there isn't any body work or damage that is going to discourage me.
From what I can see it's a great car to save!

From what I can see it's a great car to save!
Agreed, I already have a line on a door and fender to replace the ones I've been told are damaged. My oldest son is just getting his hands wet in the bodywork field, this would be perfect to practice his sanding skills
Se.jpg

Agreed, I already have a line on a door and fender to replace the ones I've been told are damaged. My oldest son is just getting his hands wet in the bodywork field, this would be perfect to practice his sanding skillsView attachment 171809
If you need any help with locating parts let me know. I communicated with a guy on FB today that is going to part out a 73 Imperial soon. I am always watching for parts for 72-73 Imperials everywhere and anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back