73 Monaco wagon

Let's theorize. Assume it takes a skilled CAD operator 30 minutes to build a file for a letter. Let's assume the font is a common type which can be found in a library and mimic'ed rather easily. Let's assume after the first letter CAD file takes 30 minutes to build, the other CAD files are cut and paste and take five minutes apiece. Round all that total up to an hour. Skilled technical Labor assumption $60/hour. Add another hour for printer set up, whatever that involves. Waiting time for machine operation shouldn't require operator presence, so, no charge for that. You're up to $120, not including cost of PLASTIC print medium and any finishing. So for comparison, at my NOS price of $39/letter, 5x$39= $195 for NOS. But...you already have an E! So now you are down to contrasting expense of $156.
Do the finishing yourself and it might be worth it, but can't speak to quality of Finished PLASTIC product against thermal and UV aging vs. NOS...?

There is METAL 3D printing, however...probably much more expensive...

My my, it's an embarrassment to publicly admit what I paid! Oh, the price of C-body glory! I think after shipping I paid $78 on eBay for two "D's" from National Mopars out of Canada. Looks NOS though. Cha-Ching. (Insert meme of Sesame Street character holding the letter "D" here.)
It is amazing what we will do to obtain that one part we most desire...

Rainy Saturday project. Naval jelly and rubbing compound on a speaker cover...before and after...

Speaker1.jpg

IMG_3940.JPG

Elbow grease + rubbing compound versus junkyard untouched (more or less)

IMG_3948.JPG

Front doors sill plate....still working on them...not an expert at banging out dents...

IMG_3967.JPG

On Tuesday I stumbled across something that I believe you'll be interested in :D
20180220_110145.jpg
20180220_110155.jpg
20180220_172737.jpg

On Tuesday I stumbled across something that I believe you'll be interested in :D
View attachment 170361 View attachment 170359 View attachment 170360
Thanks, I got an "E" from Arizona Parts. I'm set.

What is that? A 70? Is it a Polara? I don't know all the models that well.

Thanks for thinking of me. I really would like some cargo area plastic and some new rubber step bumper covers. I get the feeling I am going to have to go to major swap meets for those.

You're welcome, yes I believe it was a 70 Polara. One of my steps has chewed up rubber also.

At the shop. Tailgate getting some attention. So happy to see it down to bare metal.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Progress. Tailgate returned to serviceable state. Semi gloss for now. Letters later.
IMG_4125.JPG

Ugh. Welcome to Setback Saturday.

Monaco would start then die after running 10 seconds or so. Went through cycle of start run die. Fast forward a week later I get it started then hold a couple fingers over vacuumline coming off back of carb and vacuum tube on top center of carb. This helps, I can tell engine sounds stronger. It runs! So I bravely take it about 1 block down the street and it dies. Try the vacuum line truck again but no luck. Won't start.

I think I must have dirt in the carb somewhere. It's a Holley 2bbl. from Rock Auto.

I am waiting on a roll back to take it to the shop.

Any suggestions?

First thought if the carb is new, a clogged fuel filter, especially it you has an old rusty tank.

I had a similar symptom and it was a worn/shorten push rod for the mechanical fuel pump. I was getting some fuel, now mine would idle all day, but as soon as I would drive down the road it would die.

Your situation is a little different, but something to keep in mind if it is not your carb.

Last edited:
Fuel tank is clean. I took a photo of it with my iPhone. I have a clear filter on the car now and it looks ok. The carb should be ok...should be...but dirt can be tricky...

The fuel getting through the carb is intermittent. I was going to stick the inlet hose of the fuel pump in a jar/can of gas and see if it fixed the issue. It would eliminate the tank as a cause. I do have some suspicion about the fuel pump, but it was replaced last year...it should be ok.

We'll see what the mechanic says. He's got it now.

Have your wrench pull the pump, remove the push rod plug so he can slide the push rod out and measure it. 3.220 is the length of a new one and when they start wearing down .060 to .090 iz enough wear to get you in the trouble your experiencing.

Wow are you kidding me? That's crazy! It's less than a year old and I haven't put 50 miles on the car! Why in the world would they make the new ones so susceptible to wear? I would think the manufacturers would worry about returns. This was a Delphi brand aftermarket, as I recall. Thanks for sharing, Jerr. I'll pass it along.

Do you know of a particular brand known for good quality? I am not sure I would trust anyone just on a name, anymore it seems like everything is made by the lowest bidder in the cheapest factory.

If you had someine install the fuel pump they probably didn't change the push rod, I didn't, it doesn't come with the fuel pump so it is most likely the original.

Back