73 Monaco wagon

Got some “Outer Beltline Strip” part # 70-3805-61 from Steele Rubber Products of Denver, NC directly from the store today. It’s not an exact factory match but looks good. I think it’s going to work nicely. The function is just to keep dust out of the tailgate and keep the glass from banging in to the tailgate on the inside. It’ll have a nice finished appearance. It is 50” long.

F26C983D-2A78-4021-A890-F3E3D37E6284.jpeg

65298D8F-B709-4709-B5F0-C99E193A3BF6.jpeg

Interested in the outcome. Do you or anyone know if there is a source for replacement door gaskets on C body wagons?
Sorry Don, I didn’t ask. You can call them? Also Precision Rubber Products May be an option, or Metro Moulded up in Minnesota...? If you find someone, let me know.

I will state the obvious. Due to the lack of widespread demand for C-body stuff, some bits are not really easy to find. That’s what we get for not restoring a Mustang or Camaro etc. But that’s ok.

Got some “Outer Beltline Strip” part # 70-3805-61 from Steele Rubber Products of Denver, NC directly from the store today. It’s not an exact factory match but looks good. I think it’s going to work nicely. The function is just to keep dust out of the tailgate and keep the glass from banging in to the tailgate on the inside. It’ll have a nice finished appearance. It is 50” long.

View attachment 279475

View attachment 279476
Going to try double sided tape at first to see if I like it. May not hold up but I’ll try it. I can always try some other fastener later.

336F8B84-8146-4304-9BC6-7EA148E5C502.jpeg

Sorry Don, I didn’t ask. You can call them? Also Precision Rubber Products May be an option, or Metro Moulded up in Minnesota...? If you find someone, let me know.

I will state the obvious. Due to the lack of widespread demand for C-body stuff, some bits are not really easy to find. That’s what we get for not restoring a Mustang or Camaro etc. But that’s ok.
I looked at Steele's website, it showed nothing for sedans / wagons but I did not look at their universal stuff or try those other suppliers. My door gaskets are intact but a bit crispy so their wind seal is not great. If I can't find replacements I may just try a stick-on universal strip. Thanks!

I just went through this whole thread, what a journey so far! Great job, you should feel proud of how far your be come. That's gonna be one sweet looker when you're finished with it.

I just went through this whole thread, what a journey so far! Great job, you should feel proud of how far your be come. That's gonna be one sweet looker when you're finished with it.

Thank you. It’s been a learning process and there is a lot of work yet to be done. I am trying to be patient and thoughtful as I proceed. Gotten a lot of good help and information from folks on this site, if you have a C-body project this is the place to be!

Stripping the old woodgrain off. Started.With a putty scraper. And a heat gun. And lots of elbow grease. Whew! Still lots of adhesive left. Unfortunately. But the vinyl is off the front fender anyway. It is evident that it was never meant to be removed. Ever.

A38DE490-F261-4DEA-BEDC-93AEF660357F.jpeg

For comparison...driver’s side. I can tell I am going to have to pace myself with this stuff...

26FEAE31-64A7-427D-AB99-0F1501744457.jpeg

A little bit more removed. Bought the 3M decal remover wheel. Still takes a lot of effort.

2D15FD7C-FA8A-442D-B49E-A48A090933D5.jpeg

Man after seeing how much work stripping these old baked on side decals are I may remove my trim on the 68 and just use a DA sander to remove the old decals and paint and then just prime and repaint?

View attachment 279475

View attachment 279476

Try and save the old clips from the original weather stripping....might be able to re-use them on the new part if the two sided tape does not hold.

Man after seeing how much work stripping these old baked on side decals are I may remove my trim on the 68 and just use a DA sander to remove the old decals and paint and then just prime and repaint?
It’s not as bad as it looks. Time and manpower and the right tool. Lots of time.

We’ll see what happens. Yes I have become fond of the base color, myself.

As much as I like the woodgrain, it's tough to not like the acres of blue paint...will need to see some full body shots to make a decision. Although I'm sure either way will look nice.

Working on the drivers side. It is coming off easier on this side. So far. Paint looks better. I guess maybe this was the side that was parked against a wall. Ha ha.

A599C2C9-7D73-4FA1-85DA-4966D311A9BC.jpeg

194338AC-B0AB-40FB-93FD-88E7DACBB0E8.jpeg

You're making good progress, won't be long and you'll be finished.
Not sure if your front bumper is tweaked or out of alignment, but there's only a couple bolts on each framerail to loosen if it's merely misadjusted. It helps to have a friend around when you do, that bugger is heavy!

Back