73 Monaco wagon

Another thing. I reconnected three underhood wires that I suspect got eaten through by rodents in the 'yard. One wire went to a sensor on top of the tranny bell housing (idiot light for temperature?), two other wires, one blue the other black, both ran to a black and red connector pair, respectively, behind the carburetor and on the passenger side of the engine block. Have not started the engine after doing this, hopefully it will make -something- run better.

Just for the record, not gonna stuff some low profile radials under this thing. Not my style.

If anybody has a suggestion for low cost tires, maybe Cooper white walls, I'd like to know. I would still like to do 15" Magnum 500's and a redline tire, even though that is more pre-1970 style, but redlines are more expensive and hard for me to justify to myself.

Just for the record, not gonna stuff some low profile radials under this thing. Not my style.

If anybody has a suggestion for low cost tires, maybe Cooper white walls, I'd like to know. I would still like to do 15" Magnum 500's and a redline tire, even though that is more pre-1970 style, but redlines are more expensive and hard for me to justify to myself.

I used Optimo 724 in a 235/75/15. They are less than $100 USD
20160407_124631.jpg

20160407_153053.jpg

Last edited:
make sure you get that tranny kickdown adjusted right. that maybe the cause of your strange shifting. don't burn it up.

Started car tonight. Ran but would run slower and slower at idle until engine died. As long as I kept the gas pedal down about half it would run, but if I let off the gas it died. Eventually it died and would not restart. Any ideas?

Dealing with two problems.
1) Car starts, then gradually idles slower and slower until engine quits. This is my bigger concern. I am wondering if a dirty fuel filter may be causing a decrease in fuel pressure.
2) power steering pump losing fluid. Seepage appears to be coming out of top of steering box itself, where there is what appears to be a threaded round cap/insert. Is there a rubber or other seal that goes bad?

I dig the wagon. New member, I also have a wagon that I am cleaning up and getting it back on the road. 1968 Plymouth Sport Suburban. I am looking for replacement seals for the LH and RH rear quarter widows. Any suggestions?

I dig the wagon. New member, I also have a wagon that I am cleaning up and getting it back on the road. 1968 Plymouth Sport Suburban. I am looking for replacement seals for the LH and RH rear quarter widows. Any suggestions?
Hi my name is Scott. You will find a wealth of knowledge from helpful people on this site. Wagon specific parts. Yeah. That can be tricky. There are some well known junkyards/salvage dealers. Murray.B. Parks in Ohio, Roblins Garage in Canada, Benny Buckner in Princeton, WV, Wildcat Mopars in Oregon. Metro Moulded Parts in Minnesota makes reproduction general restoration rubber moulding, but special wagon stuff can be hard to get. I am by no means the expert on where to get parts. I need some items myself, for the tailgate door glass trim. There is another "u-pick" yard in the wilds of New York State I have heard about...there is also the swap meet option, if you can get to a Mopar specific one like Mopar Nationals in Carlisle, PA (my dream, someday), and there is a "Wanted" forum on this site (to which I have posted some wish list stuff of my own). And of course, eBay. And Craigslist. And a local Mopar Club if you are near one. Good luck and let me know what you come up with. I am coming up dry on leads for wagon specific parts, myself. Ya gotta knock on them doors!

Here's some pics of my car that could help you. Let me know if you need any others. As you can see I went with a reman carb from Rock Auto...runs really good with it.

Dave
Dave what is your thinking on replacing the ign. coil, dist. cap, and rotor? I am having trouble keeping my car running at idle and wonder if I replaced those if it would help. Could also be crud somewhere in the fuel line, of course. I might work my way back from the carb and see if I find partial blockage/debris, esp. in filter.

I don't know about replacing the coil, but I would take a look at the tuneup parts. Just be careful what you are replacing them with as there is lots of cheap crap out there.

As for your problem it sounds fuel related if you are having to give it more gas to maintain an idle.
My car was really hard to keep running I had to pump the gas pedal like crazy to try and keep it running, with the new carb it runs great.
I kept the original but I wasn't crazy expensive even with eating the core charge.

Dave

I don't know about replacing the coil, but I would take a look at the tuneup parts. Just be careful what you are replacing them with as there is lots of cheap crap out there.

As for your problem it sounds fuel related if you are having to give it more gas to maintain an idle.
My car was really hard to keep running I had to pump the gas pedal like crazy to try and keep it running, with the new carb it runs great.
I kept the original but I wasn't crazy expensive even with eating the core charge.

Dave

Looking into Rock Autos replacement carb. This is what I am seeing. Did you have to adjust it much? Was it a "bolt right on" fit?

1973 DODGE MONACO 6.6L 400cid V8 Carburetor | RockAuto

So that's interesting. I didn't realize those were hubcaps! Thought they were actual wheels, from the first photos. The style is nice. How much do you want for them? Is it possible to send them off some place to get refinished? I have to keep things in perspective on my end... am trying to focus my budget on "roadworthiness" items right now, frankly.

So that's interesting. I didn't realize those were hubcaps! Thought they were actual wheels, from the first photos. The style is nice. How much do you want for them? Is it possible to send them off some place to get refinished? I have to keep things in perspective on my end... am trying to focus my budget on "roadworthiness" items right now, frankly.
Yes, they can be restored. The one's on my wagon were done, and the previous owner indicated it was around $200/cover in CA. It is a 3 piece unit, the centre dish, the cast section with the holes, and then the stainless ring. Darn things must weigh near 10 pounds each.
upload_2017-6-19_19-3-29.jpeg

Yes, they can be restored. The one's on my wagon were done, and the previous owner indicated it was around $200/cover in CA. It is a 3 piece unit, the centre dish, the cast section with the holes, and then the stainless ring. Darn things must weigh near 10 pounds each.
View attachment 129212

The best looking wheel cover ever

Back