Status
Not open for further replies.

Marv

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
NOT MINE NOT MINE NOT MINE

Asking 6950$

pretty basic car (with AC ) but the price is decent. rust in the trunk but besides it appears
to be an unmolested survivor.

Maple Motors Inc. - Hendersonville,TN

1.jpg

4.jpg

26.jpg

56.jpg

63.jpg

CM23: Chrysler Medium 2 Door Hardtop

M3C: 400 175HP(net) OR 185HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
1973, Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

288183: Sequence number

E63: 400 cid 2 barrel V8
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
JY6: Gold Poly Exterior Color
D3Y4: Trim - Luxury, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold/Black
000: Full Door Panels
517: Build Date: May 17
H24649: Order number

JY6: Gold Poly Top Color
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

G15: Tinted Windshield

Seems like a very nice car, the underside is a little rusty but not excessive, driver rocker, rear quarter and driver side trunk floor need attention now. I'm torn on the price because of the body work it needs, might be a little high but it's a dealer so I'm guessing $4,500 might get it.

CM23M3C288183 has been advertised for sale since at least last November -- a video of the car, at the same dealer (Maple Motors in Hendersonville, TN) can be found in this thread. I found a second video of the car on YouTube here. I have a memory of seeing another FCBO thread on the same car (the CB antenna and radio are hard to forget), but can't readily find it.

The asking price for this Newport Custom is down $1k since last November. I note that the washer bottle is missing, the radiator is a new one, and the valve covers seem (to my eyes) to have have been repainted. As well, the fender tag shows that the car ought to have a non-vinyl top (JY6 code paint code in the third row from bottom), yet somehow she currently sports one. In the same vein, the fabric part of the seats seems to have the correct piping pattern but the fabric does not look original -- it looks way more like gold(ish) velours than the darker D3Y4 fabric in the samples (photo courtesy of the Hamtramck Registry):

73_Newport_Custom_0002.jpg

Regardless, this car looks nice to me. She seems to have received some love from her previous owners. I especially like the fact that the 100+ high-resolution pictures posted by the dealer listing the car for sale do not hide anything.

PS: I suspect that she needs new tires, but that's a shame because I quite like the wide whitewalls that IMHO match the fat rubber bumperettes.

Last edited:
Love that Poly Gold, this is the best looking 73 Newport I have seen. Looks great from the side and the oldsmobile rear and impala front don't even drive me up the wall like they usually do.

175 horse big block. Makes me ill to see it in writing.

Edit, I just look at the dealer pic. I like the faded outer better than the door jams.
Anybody got a paint code for faded poly gold?

Last edited:
I've said this before but it bears repeating. Chrysler did NOT copy the impala front end. Chevy copied the Chrysler front end. The 74 impala was a ripoff of the 73 Chrysler.

Below is a 72 Impala which is the only one the 73 Chrysler could have been copied from chronologically, 73 Impala, 74 impala and the 73 Chrysler. The 74 Impala is similar but it's a stretch to claim the 73 Impala is similar. The 72 is even further different. Because the 73 came out a year prior to the closest resemblance to an Impala.

1972 Impala
220px-Chevrolet_Impala_1972_%2814106775621%29.jpg

1973 Impala
maxresdefault.jpg

1974 Impala
704_main_l.jpg

1973 Chrysler.
6.jpg

Chrysler did it better though. I love that front end. It's not pretty, it's not nicely designed or elegant. It looks like the Arnold in the Terminator movies. Big, bad, no emotions just pure power... And there comes the downside, a 400cui neutered by governments legislation

I could buy it if the only two cars were the 73 Chrysler and the 74 impala no doubt. But when you take out the Chrysler and just look at the chevys you can see the clear lineage from 71.

Then of course we got the 67 olds rear.
I honestly believe Chrydler was hurting the worst and was leaning heavily on gm, they had the money. Granted they all ate lunch together anyway.
There is also the effect of subliminal thoughts.
It's been said that the hardest thing for a human mind to do is think of an original thought without other influence.
I love the over scaled appearance of The Chrysler rear quarters, nobody else did it. They look great on my 73 Fury. Unfortunatly it has a 71 monte carlo rear!
Speaking of Monte Carlos remember they had that Corinthian leather!
Wait? Was that?

That dealer is local to me. They seem to think their inventory is gold, and aren't usually very negotiable, from what I've heard.

That dealer is local to me.

Thank you for the info. I see a very nice gold 1970 Monaco in your avatar -- is it your car? I am a huge fan of the 1970-71 Dodges, so would love to see pics and hear more about it. I could not find a thread about it.

Thank you for the info. I see a very nice gold 1970 Monaco in your avatar -- is it your car? I am a huge fan of the 1970-71 Dodges, so would love to see pics and hear more about it. I could not find a thread about it.
Thanks, I think I've posted about it before, but that was my parents car, bought new in late 1969. The traded it in, in 1972. I love the 1970 Dodges as well though. Here is the full pic taken sometime in 1970, with me and my dad as he is waxing it after a wash.

70monaco.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back