74 Monaco aux oil & temp gauges (police)

74Monaco CHP

Reaction score
since there aren't any auto events for the car its been in the shop getting little things taken care of.

I have the police gauge package that take the place of the clock in the dash. When I first got the car they worked but barely. Eventually we installed a supplemental set of gauges. They are not fun because I constantly hit them getting in and out of the car.

I had a second NOS one which we swapped and that wouldn't work, we replaced the speedometer pod and cluster with a new unit with a and a perfect circuit board. The gauges still will not read. The sending units were changed out and still nothing. I even have a brand new electronic voltage reducer. Any ideas????

Is there something were missing - ground - wiring. ?

I sent out a gauge set to Bob's to go through and to restore the speedo faceplate. I have a NOS stock 120 that he says he can make a correct 140.

Thanks much -

since there aren't any auto events for the car its been in the shop getting little things taken care of.

I have the police gauge package that take the place of the clock in the dash. When I first got the car they worked but barely. Eventually we installed a supplemental set of gauges. They are not fun because I constantly hit them getting in and out of the car.

I had a second NOS one which we swapped and that wouldn't work, we replaced the speedometer pod and cluster with a new unit with a and a perfect circuit board. The gauges still will not read. The sending units were changed out and still nothing. I even have a brand new electronic voltage reducer. Any ideas????

Is there something were missing - ground - wiring. ?

I sent out a gauge set to Bob's to go through and to restore the speedo faceplate. I have a NOS stock 120 that he says he can make a correct 140.

Thanks much -

Have you checked the cluster regulator to see if it is cycling? A lot of the new ones are made in China and the quality control is very poor.
Turn on the key and take a test light to the lead for the temp gauge under the hood. With the lead disconnected from the sensor you should get a blinking test light if the cluster regulator is working. The other possibility is that the cluster regulator is not getting power due to a blown fuse or faulty wiring.

Dave

Have you checked the cluster regulator to see if it is cycling? A lot of the new ones are made in China and the quality control is very poor.
Turn on the key and take a test light to the lead for the temp gauge under the hood. With the lead disconnected from the sensor you should get a blinking test light if the cluster regulator is working. The other possibility is that the cluster regulator is not getting power due to a blown fuse or faulty wiring.

Dave

• The other cluster gauges work altmeter and gas gauges register. This was an American made regulator that its not like the stock its electronic circuitry. They tried both clusters. They tried them in another vehicle, w/o success. Could they had grounded out themselves and been damaged? We will check again.
  • Thanks Dave

• The other cluster gauges work altmeter and gas gauges register. This was an American made regulator that its not like the stock its electronic circuitry. They tried both clusters. They tried them in another vehicle, w/o success. Could they had grounded out themselves and been damaged? We will check again.
  • Thanks Dave

If the gas gauge is working, the cluster regulator is working. There should be a short link harness to the police option oil and temp gauges. If this was not a police cruiser to start with, it will likely not have that link and one would need to be fabricated. The other option might be to take and extra cluster regulator and run a lead from that to the police option gauges. 12v to the input side, fused from voltage source activated by the ignition, output to the input on the gauges. Be sure the second CVR is grounded. Note that the lead to the clock power is not hooked to the CVR, so you can not use that lead to power the gauges.

Dave

If the car has the police option link, check it, it should also flash the test light or generate the appropriate voltage if it is the electronic type.

Dave

Back