`74 nyb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that interior too. Looks like it needs a little body work and some TLC under the hood.

Thats a border line car. Priced too much lower it becomes derby material, where it is not worth the price as a driver....tough spot

It looks like there are enough "little things" that will ultimately bankrupt you if you go after every one of them.
And like almost all Formals, you'll be eternally upside down from the first day on. 3 grand is way too much.

Stop it!! There are plenty of them I wouldnt send to the great demise. Even you would agree that there is a line and once a car crosses that line in price it now becomes, derby/parts/ crush material.

LOL. The funny part is, I probably would send more of them over to the Derby guys than you.
I don't know what change in manufacturing they did for the '74s but they seem to rust far earlier than the previous C's.

At least in Europe there was a steel crisis around that time and they often had to use sheetmetal of a lesser quality to meet demand; don't know in which way this also applies to the US.

At least in Europe there was a steel crisis around that time and they often had to use sheetmetal of a lesser quality to meet demand; don't know in which way this also applies to the US.
That's one good theory.
I have the feeling that Chrysler management really scaled back on the engineering expenses because of their financial state starting in the beginning of the 70's.

1970 was one of the most powerful years of the muscle-car era, but at Chrysler, the financial engines were stalling a little. Vehicle sales rose a little from 1969, but the company went from a net profit of $99 million on $7 billion of sales to a net loss of $8 million — though with a dividend of $29 million!
Chrysler lost $27 million in the first quarter of 1970; the other three quarters were profitable. The United States had economic problems including high unemployment; the big C-bodies that arrived in 1969 were spurned by Americans demanding less expensive cars.

It looks like there are enough "little things" that will ultimately bankrupt you if you go after every one of them.
And like almost all Formals, you'll be eternally upside down from the first day on. 3 grand is way too much.

I dunno Stan... the diff between $3K and, say, $1500 really isn't worth worrying about if you are getting onto a resto project on any car. I dunno too many people who do full-scale restos that aren't upside down, unless you are dealing with a Hemi Cuda or a similar Barrett-Jackson favorite.

I dunno Stan... the diff between $3K and, say, $1500 really isn't worth worrying about if you are getting onto a resto project on any car. I dunno too many people who do full-scale restos that aren't upside down, unless you are dealing with a Hemi Cuda or a similar Barrett-Jackson favorite.
I agree with you entirely.
I gues what I should have said was that you can find cars in that same condition for 15 hundred bucks and you'll have 15 hundreds to get you going. $1,500 is a lot of replacement parts at RockAuto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back