75 Imperial front calipers

mgk

Reaction score
Hello folks

I have a 75 Imperial that needs the front calipers replaced. They have the metal piston. Looks to be difficult/impossible to get the metal piston calipers.

Is it ok to replace both calipers with the plastic pistons ones?

Thanks

Rock Auto is showing 2 Carlson steel pistons left in stock...on another thread i had mentioned that i bought the Carlsons because the Raybestos ones were listed as phenolic steel and another member replied that they bought the Raybestos ones and they were in fact steel...i personally have hated phenolic pistons for 40 years since one stuck on my mother in law's K Car...heated up the rotor just enough to warp it and cause a wheel shimmy on the parkway with no other symptoms...didn't pull at all

These? Metal?
If you don't mind rebuilt calipers.
ACDELCO 18FR587-right side.
ACDELCO 18FR588-left side.
$40 each, $16 for the core each.
ROCKAUTO. Round trip shipping about $25.

Rock Auto is showing 2 Carlson steel pistons left in stock...on another thread i had mentioned that i bought the Carlsons because the Raybestos ones were listed as phenolic steel and another member replied that they bought the Raybestos ones and they were in fact steel...i personally have hated phenolic pistons for 40 years since one stuck on my mother in law's K Car...heated up the rotor just enough to warp it and cause a wheel shimmy on the parkway with no other symptoms...didn't pull at all
Many thanks

Back