Photo May 28, 10 44 10 AM.jpg

Photo May 28, 11 28 24 AM.jpg

Photo May 28, 11 28 33 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 17, 1 16 51 PM.jpg

Wash the motor off the best i could..and yes i covered the carb

20180427_155717.jpg

20180427_155733.jpg

Just my opinion....

74-75 Imp's.....ALL with 4 wheel disc brakes and ATC II more desirable than 76-78 NYB's with rear drum brakes and manual A/C???? I think not.
I consider the 76 the sweet spot. I didn't plan it that way. I found it after the fact.
And maybe the 77 but a few almost indistinguishable design details to most observers make it #2.
On a St. Regis 2 door, I like the 78 because:

1) unique stripe pattern.
2) mirror appliqués
3) delay wipers
4) digital radio/clock
5) turbine-bling wheel covers
6) extra bling grille

The wiper thing is a push. I have a welder and they all need service by now. I will not forgive the de-contenting of the vinyl top moldings on hardtops. I'm also fascinated with end-of-era stuff, like digital radios in a hardtop or Airbags in an M-body 5th.
I would agree with this. I do think the 74-75 imperials seem more desirable than the later NYB’s
It takes a crowd of Formal lovers to dig this deep into the differences... IMO, the discs are too cool... and too obsolete. IDK if they really make as much difference to me anymore... Formals have really good brakes both ways, but I do like them. 1974 only grilles and closed bumper are favorites of mine, I like the 75 up grilles just fine, but have a love/hate thing going inside of myself for the 78's. 78 grilles are a nice enough progression from the 74 (it seems almost like a half step backward, to me) But the big chrome top takes something from the waterfall I love... and they are semi hard to find in really good condition.
A 76 NYB with rear drum brake, manual A/C and before the mid year change to Lean Burn might be the least problematic of Formal's 74-78.

From a pure PITA factor... Stan has it right, and Bob may have speced out the perfect NYB, which I would add must be a 4 door or maybe a coupe... but not a St Regis.

If I had the ability, I'd like the car in this thread so much more as a coupe with a painted roof...

If I had the ability, I'd like the car in this thread so much more as a coupe with a painted roof...

Funny thing is, back in '95 I had a car with the St. Regis roof that I took back to a hardtop. Now, I prefer the outrageous "70s" look of the St. Regis style.

I offered my '69 Imperial for this car, it could either be a driver or a hellagood parts car. But without opening up a parking space, that's a no-go. Anybody need a fusie Imp to save this car?

IMG_20180421_174847_hdr.jpg

Wash the motor off the best i could..and yes i covered the carb

View attachment 181777

View attachment 181778
That master cylinder seem odd to me... anyone want to comment?

And Captin... I keep doing the math and I keep having a hard time seeing where $3k would come out of the parts for this car. I admit, I'm not a seller of things... and I am a cheap buyer... and there is a lot of labor involved.

Are you really sure the destruction of one like this is worth it? From here it seems like all you really want is an engine core. Much of the stuff on EB has sat there for years waiting for a buyer, so when the cherry picking is done (like the roof)... Will it be worth it?

Funny thing is, back in '95 I had a car with the St. Regis roof that I took back to a hardtop. Now, I prefer the outrageous "70s" look of the St. Regis style.

I offered my '69 Imperial for this car, it could either be a driver or a hellagood parts car. But without opening up a parking space, that's a no-go. Anybody need a fusie Imp to save this car?

View attachment 181806
That is a sweet Imperial... I'd be in all kinds of trouble if I had the ability to have a bigger fleet.

I guess I know where you store the lawn signs that clutter the neighborhood...:lol:

That master cylinder seem odd to me... anyone want to comment?

And Captin... I keep doing the math and I keep having a hard time seeing where $3k would come out of the parts for this car. I admit, I'm not a seller of things... and I am a cheap buyer... and there is a lot of labor involved.

Are you really sure the destruction of one like this is worth it? From here it seems like all you really want is an engine core. Much of the stuff on EB has sat there for years waiting for a buyer, so when the cherry picking is done (like the roof)... Will it be worth it?

I'm glad I dont have to build the crate required to have that sunroof survive shipment from ND. You'll need Jesus level caprentry skills, lol.

I guess I know where you store the lawn signs that clutter the neighborhood...:lol:

Lol, that's funny you noticed! I'm at war with those damn things in my city and I think we (code enforcement at my behest) are pretty successful. Nowhere near as many as surounding areas.

They're good for masking or mixing bondo :)

I'm glad I dont have to build the crate required to have that sunroof survive shipment from ND. You'll need Jesus level caprentry skills, lol.
Hadn't thought of that... the shipping weight will be 2/3 crate at least. :confused::thankyou:

View attachment 181806
Problem is i ha e 7 c bodies and need to reduce that this is the odd ball i prefer fusie but dont need another project

20180424_195742-jpg.jpg

Just hope God isn't a Formal fan...
740full-alanis-morissette.jpg
You saw what she did to Ben...

Last edited:

It all depends on how many of those parts interchange with earlier cars. My ‘73 came close to that, and I didn’t have a motor or trans. Yes, labor and storage intensive, that’s why I keep that picture of my yard handy as a reminder. In today’s market, I’d say the average ‘69 to ‘73 Cbody is worth $5k to $6k in parts, and about 6 months of selling. Of course, I’ve never gotten into a Formal, so I don’t know enough about the parts and the potential market, but I’d bet there are customers out there waiting to come across stuff they didn’t know they needed yet.
:D

View attachment 181806

Curiosity killed the cat... whats the story with the IMP? I found the old for sale ad. Is it up, and running yet? Just curious lol. Also have you got the sunroof car/s out for the summer?

It all depends on how many of those parts interchange with earlier cars. My ‘73 came close to that, and I didn’t have a motor or trans. Yes, labor and storage intensive, that’s why I keep that picture of my yard handy as a reminder. In today’s market, I’d say the average ‘69 to ‘73 Cbody is worth $5k to $6k in parts, and about 6 months of selling. Of course, I’ve never gotten into a Formal, so I don’t know enough about the parts and the potential market, but I’d bet there are customers out there waiting to come across stuff they didn’t know they needed yet.
:D

Nothing but mechanical parts interchange between a formal, and fusie unfortunately. Formal parts are a pain to sell. Unless it’s cop car goodies you want to sell for next to nothing, you will be holding the parts for forever.

Nothing but mechanical parts interchange between a formal, and fusie unfortunately. Formal parts are a pain to sell. Unless it’s cop car goodies you want to sell for next to nothing, you will be holding the parts for forever.
So true!!!!!!
And all you see on ebay is Imp/NYB tail light lenses. Thousands of them. Wtf...

Curiosity killed the cat... whats the story with the IMP? I found the old for sale ad. Is it up, and running yet? Just curious lol. Also have you got the sunroof car/s out for the summer?

Bought the '69 for a resto project, another '69 came along with a white leather interior... I'm going to do that one instead. The gold one drives, although I wouldn't go very far without going through it; but I just moved it around in the driveway last week.

I think the Sundance is going to sit out much work this summer (indoors in a garage I own). Too many other projects competing for my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back