NOT MINE 79 5th Ave

Anyone know why they built the rear door windows like that?

Description
This is an original owner car purchased new by my 91 yr old father. It has 53,530 miles and was Ziebart rust proofed when new.It has the original 360 2 bbl drivetrain which has never been touched except for normal maintenance. It has leather interior and has been garage kept since new. It has brand new tires that replaced the dry cracked original set. It has a new battery and a new Chrysler replacement carburetor. Aside for the normal die cast chrome wear and minor pitting, the car is well preserved and an excellent example of the last of Chrysler's rear wheel drive luxury cars of the era. The headliner is sagging in a few spots and it comes with a replacement in the original dealer box. It has the original shining factory paint with some touch ups and excellent matched repainting on the driver's front fender.My dad bought many new Chryslers and would park the old one in his old car "museum" at his RV dealership and would not sell them. He collected over 22 cars. I have all of the original sales documentation, window sticker, and sales brochure. Very cool car that turns heads everywhere that it is driven. Can help shipping from a commercial address if needed.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg

I do... because they look good. I really like these cars if I wasn't down sizing I'd be all over that. It looks like a very clean car!
Anyone want to buy a '78 New Yorker????

The rear quarter windows were like that as it was "the style" back then. The normal Newports had similar quarter windows, just not the vinyl landau roof extending down on them. Also allowed for a less wide rear door glass.

The factory AM/FM Stereo/CB radio is also a somewhat rare period option (with a particular power antenna with the CB "load" in the mast).

This was also the Iacocca era when he tended to bring some prior Ford styling cues to Chrysler. Which is probably why these cars were "pillared hardtop" in nature. Hardtop door window glass but with a B-pillar (as Ford had used for several years before Chairman Lee went to Chrysler) and straight lower-window molding contours.

This looks like a very nice car. By '79 model year, what used to be "Electronic Lean Burn" became "Electronic Spark Control" with NO "lean-calibration" carburetor as with the prior ELB system. I guess the carbs were already leaner to start with? But not 16:1 air fuel ratio "lean", as the ELB carbs were calibrated for.

I have a '80 Newport 360 2bbl (the only time a 318-size BBD was used on a 360) and it is a very smoooth and quiet car to drive. With its isolated k-frame on the normal-type front sub-frame. With the thick carpet and underlayment being a big part of that quietness.

To me, this '79 needs to find a good and appreciative home. Plus continuing to lead "a sheltered life" of sorts!

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Maybe a nice car, poor pics , not real nice yet - needs a good cleaning/detailing.
Does the ac work?
Low low production so unobtanium trim items and more.

Does the ac work? Low low production so unobtanium trim items and more.

A low-production/"now-rare" vehicle hiding in plain, open sight! Might well need "agreed value" insurance and not used for normal, daily use, for best results.

The a/c on my '80 will chunk ice cubes quickly after starting in the TX summer heat. NO ATC options on these cars. All of the mechanicals are "B-Body" in nature, so no worries there. The lock-up converter lock-up was delayed until 53mph (on the '80s) so none of the prior issues of the 27mph lockup in prior model years.

With the 360 and 2.45 rear axle ratio, not a tire burner by any means, but easy highway crusing is very nice. My '80, with the "load carrying" HD suspension and HD shocks, has that "Feed Me Some ROAD" gutsy feel to it, which I like. It's ready to go "eat some road", which the Magnum GT wheels and normal whitewalls help to happen. Some of Chrysler's best work, with a few glitches and poor market timing and execution, from my observations.

Hope this car finds a good home!
CBODY67

If I were getting one I'd hold out for a 5th Ave edition Limited edition from 80 or 81 with the stainless top.

Worst thing about these was the chromed aluminum bumpers...you could cut your hands to ribbons washing one of these as the chrome peeled off into razor blade thin shards. That's the way they went in the rust belt at least.

Newports lasted way longer...all that bright trim on the bottom of the NYs held in the salty slush and rotted them out.

Last edited:
its amazing how ( in my opinion) getting rid of the fussy bee hive wire wheel covers changes the look of these cars, heres my 81 fifth avenue edition with mirada wheels

20160901_150625-1.jpg

I had a 79.

They have the same exploding wiper bushing problem the Formals have.

Hindsight being what it is, I probably should have kept it and did the welded crank fix for the wipers. I kept the 493 from my 66 when I sold it and now it needs a new home.

A big block stroker R Body would be a hoot.

Kevin

My old '79 was a very nice car. Paid $1000 in 2005 with 77K miles. 360, two-tone paont, maroon leather, just a pleasure to drive. It had dual exhaust put on by the PO. Then I bought the '78 NYBS I wanted, then sold the'79 to a buyer in Ohio. Shoulda kept it, really.

Other than the peeling bumpers and chalky bumper surrounds, it was quite a nice car.

Because that was the trend at the time. Making 4 dr sdns mimic the roof line of a Coupe when mfgrs disco'd true 2 dr cars.
I hated it then and my thinking hasn't changed in 40 years.
Dumb with a capital D.

I had a 79.

They have the same exploding wiper bushing problem the Formals have.

Hindsight being what it is, I probably should have kept it and did the welded crank fix for the wipers. I kept the 493 from my 66 when I sold it and now it needs a new home.

A big block stroker R Body would be a hoot.

Kevin

All it takes is a first-gen Cordoba front frame with the B block mounts and it's all bolt-in. I saw a '79 St Regis at Mopar Nats one year that was that way. It was a genuine law enforcement vehicle with the dual exh front floor section. The worst thing, the owner said, was to get a new a/c line from the RV-2 compressor to the condenser. He kept the 360 4bbl air cleaner decal and he said the Chevy guys didn't recognize that it was not a 360 any more. Quite fun! Some of the law enforcement people he encountered (who heard the exhaust note with the "RV cam") didn't buy that it was "stock", either.

Chrysler had the capabilities and in-stock parts to make these cars into a Euro-themed performance sedan, but the prevailing orientation, at the time, was for fuel economy and such. Such a waste, to me.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back