A 67 Newport just landed in my Barn

Nice Car, good find
Thanks Creep or Mr. Show,
yes I scored pretty good on this one, I am the 3rd owner and it's a survivor, the appraisor gave it a stellar review,
It was garaged for 35 years, needs exhaust, suspension, some upholstery but many things were done by the previous owner who's wife told him to get rid of it . He did brakes, brake lines, new gas tank and straps, new tires, new fuel pump and a few other things. He is an older gentlman in his 70s so i think he was getting in over his head and could not see the end and health reasons came into play.
w
Thanks for the acknoledgement, I will do her good!

PT

I do not know the fender tag info for trailer tow - but others here will.
If it were a factory install then trailer tow would have a rad shroud, heavy duty rad (same as an AC equipped car), plus the possible additions of a transmission cooler (depending upon what the package had back in the day), a proper factory tail light and signal pigtail that would have a professional splice type installation to the tail light wiring harness, and the hitch itself would be a either a medium duty rear frame crossmember mounted (with possible straps to the bumper), or a proper Class 3 (?) weight distributing hitch that mounted at 5 points on the rear frame rails and the rear crossmember.

All of those items would be expensive to install piecemeal and make them look factory - aftermarket kits are usually fairly easy to identify as aftermarket by the installation quality.

Look for trailer brake electrical hookups too - no factory trailer brake harness AFAIK, but I could be wrong.

I am not an expert by any means... just surmizing based on what I've seen in the past.

P.S. Cbarge, nice score also on your new addiction/addition, shipping from B.C to TO must not have been cheap!
Thanks! Shipping in an enclosed car carrier was 4200. Worth it compared to losing a weeks wages, fuel, hotels and potential breakdowns during fall/winter weather.

I hope someone can help me with this question and it goes out to all the Slab savants.
So with this 67 Newport, from what other models and from what years ( range) would I be able to resource parts from? Polara, Monaco, Newport, I have no clue!

Thanks in advance
Body panels 67 68 Chrysler. Front fenders 67 only but 68 300 bolt on but has the "gills"
Fender skirts 67 68 fit. Just swap out the trim.
Trim is 67 Newport only.
Ditto interior seat pattern and door panels.
67 dash pad different than 68.
As you may already know all mechanicals and powertrain interchange with Dodge and Chrysler.
Hope this helps.
Pm if there are any specific questions.

I do not know the fender tag info for trailer tow - but others here will.
If it were a factory install then trailer tow would have a rad shroud, heavy duty rad (same as an AC equipped car), plus the possible additions of a transmission cooler (depending upon what the package had back in the day), a proper factory tail light and signal pigtail that would have a professional splice type installation to the tail light wiring harness, and the hitch itself would be a either a medium duty rear frame crossmember mounted (with possible straps to the bumper), or a proper Class 3 (?) weight distributing hitch that mounted at 5 points on the rear frame rails and the rear crossmember.

All of those items would be expensive to install piecemeal and make them look factory - aftermarket kits are usually fairly easy to identify as aftermarket by the installation quality.

Look for trailer brake electrical hookups too - no factory trailer brake harness AFAIK, but I could be wrong.

I am not an expert by any means... just surmizing based on what I've seen in the past.
Thanks Ross, figured you would be able to tell from the rear photo of the car if the plate was factory or not.
The plate is not big at all, so it would only be good for a 1 1/2 " ball, I also think that if you would have to gas up you would have to remove the ball to flip the plate down.
No sign of a transmission cooler.
Would be nice to revive a Serro Scotty from the 60s to go along with the car, my old brother-in-law had one we use to use for moose camp. For years he towed it from Lake Simcoe to Marathon at the top of lake Superior, never failed us.

I might have extra skirts.
Thanks for the offer Detmatt, one tiny hole on driver side can be fixed plus I discovered a wrecker one consession over from home 5 min. away who has a few Newports / Monacos I can scavenge. It's 10 C. here tomorrow so a nice day to go check out stuff, many of the cars are pooched but still some good parts. Skirts too!
If you google earth 12527 4th Line Nassagaweya, Ontario you will see the size of the yard, there are 4 to 5 hundred cars, I haven't even gotten to the two far fields of cars yet.
There is a lot of good glass too, at least 3 intact winshields, I'm sure there is no difference between a 4 door or 2 door windshield correct? Don't tell anyone but I scored hood and trunk chrome, trim, armrest suports, lettering and fender trim and looking at Ebabe, just half of what I got started to total over 6 hundred bucks, I paid $50 bucks for the lot. He only wanted $25 bucks, but I gave him 50 anyway.
There is a 70 Monaco there I plan on trying to remove the front and rear fender extensions , the side trim and what ever I can find, the adrenaline will be flowing!!!
It's Black Friday weekend at the wreckers, going to see if Boydsdodge wants to join me.

Have a nice day

Like I said , lots of cars are pooched as you can see in the pics below, but some good parts. Many Mopars I haven't shown and I still have 2 fields to check out. As shown, it's rows upon rows of overgrown brush consuming the cars especially the older ones.
Hope to see you there!
IMG_3314.JPG
IMG_3321.JPG
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3318.JPG
IMG_3323.JPG

Question on your car: Does it have KPH speedo? - tag indicates built to Canada specs, so I presume so
Does it have a clock? That j-4 code is one I've not been clear on....one possibility is a clock, another is KPH speedo, another makes reference to convertible or fast-top

Have you looked for your broadcast sheet behind the back seat? Inside a front seat? (yours should be Center Arm Rest Bench front - I don't know if the backs come off like buckets do, nor if there is typically a broadcast in there)

Code for Trailer Tow package is 359 - it would show on your broadcast if built that way. I would have thought it would show on the tag, too....but I've found nothing to support such an assumption.

Your tire size (code 63{5}) was 8.55" x 14" White Sidewall which was an upgrade from the standard (51) 8.25" x 14" Black Sidewall. I haven't pinned down what the trailing {5} means for sure - I believe it may define a specific tire manufacturer to use.

Last edited:
Question on your car: Does it have KPH speedo? - tag indicates built to Canada specs, so I presume so
Does it have a clock? That j-4 code is one I've not been clear on....one possibility is a clock, another is KPH speedo, another makes reference to convertible or fast-top

Have you looked for your broadcast sheet behind the back seat? Inside a front seat? (yours should be Center Arm Rest Bench front - I don't know if the backs come off like buckets do, nor if there is typically a broadcast in there)

Code for Trailer Tow package is 359 - it would show on your broadcast if built that way. I would have thought it would show on the tag, too....but I've found nothing to support such an assumption.

Your tire size (code 63{5}) was 8.55" x 14" White Sidewall which was an upgrade from the standard (51) 8.25" x 14" Black Sidewall. Have haven't pinned down what the trailing {5} means for sure - I believe it may define a specific tire manufacturer to use.
Haven't looked for the BS behind back seat, it's possibly there, I'm only the 3rd owner and the fellow before me didn't have it that long. It's pretty much all original except for 1 repaint over the Turbine Bronze, power washed the engine bay last week and 80% of the brown paint just peeled off.
The metric system only came into effect in the mid 70s so speedos were still in miles.
No clock but it does have a trip meter. The Newport is sitting idle in the garage, once all the farm chores are done before winter sets in. Collecting parts is what's in order right know.
Thanks for all the info, I'm not one to really follow fender tags and broadcast sheets much but it is cool to know.

Have a nice day,
PT

Canadian cars didn't get kilo speedos until the mid 70s.
Got it. Kilo-speedo code 684 must have just been for European (or some other metric area) exports then....
No clock...
OK. That takes clock code 484 out of play, too, then. And your Trim code means Bench, not Bucket, so 564 should be out, too (and would have been in "b" position anyway). If you ever dig out your broadcast, possibly you could share a pic?
I've got another example of a GTX St Louis car (your is Jefferson Ave built) with j-4 and it seems to point to Sill Moldings - which I see yours has, too.
Here is my project car...
@Project Sketchy - does your fender tag also carry a "j-4"? (I always associate moldings with the "1 thru 8" field, but maybe that didn't take hold until '68 when Sill was "1-4" (Wide Sill was "1-9")? I see you have sill moldings, also. If you have pics of your Tag and Broadcast you could share, that would be great.

Thanks for helping me learn guys.
M

Last edited:
Got it. Kilo-speedo code 684 must have just been for European (or some other metric area) exports then....

OK. That takes clock code 484 out of play, too, then. And your Trim code means Bench, not Bucket, so 564 should be out, too (and would have been in "b" position anyway). If you ever dig out your broadcast, possibly you could share a pic?
I've got another example of a GTX St Louis car (your is Jefferson Ave built) with j-4 and it seems to point to Sill Moldings - which I see yours has, too.

@Project Sketchy - does your fender tag also carry a "j-4"? (I always associate moldings with the "1-8" field, but maybe that didn't take hold until '68 when Sill was "1-4" (Wide Sill was "1-9")? I see you have sill moldings, also. If you have pics of your Tag and Broadcast you could share, that would be great.

Thanks for helping me learn guys.
M
Mark, let me know if you figure out if my Newport was factory ordered with a tow package, it does have the plate at the back.

Thanks PT

...let me know...tow package...
We'd need to see your broadcast sheet to determine that for certain.

M
*Edit to add image - If factory equipped, you broadcast would have a "9" in the appropriate box. This example did not come with factory trailer tow.
TrailerTow.jpg

Last edited:
Looked through the dealer literature a bit. A few items lead me to believe your car was not factory tow. I find no provision for a "dealer-add", either - only "Load Stabilizer Unit" (coil-over shocks).

FWIW
67TowPakInfo.jpg

Back