A 67 Newport just landed in my Barn

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just added a new project for this winter to go along with Ellie May the 70 Polara vert I just finished, minus a few cosmetic things.
Now the back story on this car is that the former owner got it from a son who inherited it from his father after passing. It apperently sat in a garage for 35 years before the last owner grabbed it. Sides are all scratched to rat $h1t from people carrying out stuff past the car for decades. The brown paint has to go, the vynil roof is in great shape.
Previous owner spent over $2500 in parts: new gas tank, straps, hanger bolts, brake pads, springs, wheel cylinders. It got a new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, a new master cylinder, new rotor cap, battery and tires. Not sure if that all adds up to $2500 bucks, but the wife told him enough was enough, get rid of the car. He had several adds on K1jj1 and I watched the price drop 3 times in the last month so ended getting it for $5900 CDN, not sure what that is in US deniros.
Hoping to get help from all the good guy who wear hats and those who do not wear hats, Slabbies or Slabbers, not sure what we are called. I guess we are all Cmen!

Here are a few pics of my new addiction/addition/ affliction!
P.S. Now if the back story I was told is not true, please let me know about this car if it has ever showed up on FCBO.

Have a nice day,
PT

IMG_3297.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

Looks good. Turbine Bronze "fades" more toward a reddish hue, as mine has. That vinyl top looks to have been changed, at some time or another, but still good.

Congrats,
CBODY67

Nice score!
I am also leaning towards turbine bronze was original color.
Someone went through a lot to change out the color combo.

That's a nice project! I'm sure you will enjoy the fruits of your labor in the spring!! Will be looking forward to seeing your progress as I'm partial to the 67s

Yup! I wasn't aware of that car! My brother in law is a local mechanic, and probably knows of the car and the previous owners...

St. George is where my wife comes from, and the inlaws live!

Again, hope you slab guys can help when I hit a wall with a task as you guys know all the ins and outs these cars.
Rust on the front driver quarter and driver's side rear skirt.
As mentioned there are so many deep gouges in the paint, not dents but scapes right down to primer. I can only invision the patio furniture scraping by twice a year for 35 years in a narrow garage past an old car that grandpa has had for ever and will never get rid of, till death do us part!
Any insight as to what to look for in common problems this model would have would be much appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day!

P.S. Cbarge, nice score also on your new addiction/addition, shipping from B.C to TO must not have been cheap!

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

Congrats!
Also, congrats on "finishing" the 1970 Polara convertible.
I've been working on my 1970 Fury convertible off and on for 9 years and it's still not finished.

Congrats!
Also, congrats on "finishing" the 1970 Polara convertible.
I've been working on my 1970 Fury convertible off and on for 9 years and it's still not finished.
Hi 70FC, I say the Polara is finished but is it really finished, I do understand truly she will never be finished.
A lot of factors affect the finish line, time, age, retirment, health, funds, what the condition the car was in to begin with, Tools required to get you to the finish line, reliance on other people, darn I may as well throw climate change in here too! etc....
Do you move forward, offend the purists and do it on a budget by using other material than what is considered appropriate in their view, do you use new concepts to get you to the finish line faster.
We are farmers so winters are long up in Ontario, so time is available and as I get older time seems to be speeding up so long story short is "life is short".
I hope to have my new girl " Newport " ready by spring and if not then by summer and if not then by fall.
I am new to this car enthusiast thing, so it's challenging it's therapy, it's rewarding to get the car back on the road and have people say " Nice Ride" or give you the thumbs up ,and don't forget the comradery at shows and even when you pass another enthusiast on the road in their pride and joy. It's all summed up as an acknoledgement of the hard work you put into the car to get her back on the road where they all deserve to be.
Where the finish line for me on the Newport is I don't know, but I am sure enthusiastic about it!
I hope you find your finish line on your Fury and I am sure you will, life is short!
I figure you being a mad hatter you have more than 1 car, so you know what I am feeling.

Have a nice day,

PT

Hi 70FC, I say the Polara is finished but is it really finished, I do understand truly she will never be finished.
A lot of factors affect the finish line, time, age, retirment, health, funds, what the condition the car was in to begin with, Tools required to get you to the finish line, reliance on other people, darn I may as well throw climate change in here too! etc....
Do you move forward, offend the purists and do it on a budget by using other material than what is considered appropriate in their view, do you use new concepts to get you to the finish line faster.
We are farmers so winters are long up in Ontario, so time is available and as I get older time seems to be speeding up so long story short is "life is short".
I hope to have my new girl " Newport " ready by spring and if not then by summer and if not then by fall.
I am new to this car enthusiast thing, so it's challenging it's therapy, it's rewarding to get the car back on the road and have people say " Nice Ride" or give you the thumbs up ,and don't forget the comradery at shows and even when you pass another enthusiast on the road in their pride and joy. It's all summed up as an acknoledgement of the hard work you put into the car to get her back on the road where they all deserve to be.
Where the finish line for me on the Newport is I don't know, but I am sure enthusiastic about it!
I hope you find your finish line on your Fury and I am sure you will, life is short!
I figure you being a mad hatter you have more than 1 car, so you know what I am feeling.

Have a nice day,

PT
Some purists are offended by electronic ignition.
Having the approval of others is a game no one can win.
Do what you want. Finish whenever you decide you're finished. And Enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

Very Nice. Is yours a 383 with the 2 barrel? What sort of plans do you have for yours? Full restoration, daily driver, hot rod?
Here is my project car...
1667860613265.png

Some purists are offended by electronic ignition.
Having the approval of others is a game no one can win.
Do what you want. Finish whenever you decide you're finished. And Enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:
The time change is affecting me today, and yes I will do it the way I want, the Newport won't be as crazy as the Polara. Guys on here confirmed the vinyl top is not a standard issue by Chrysler, so it's wrong already now that gives me the green light I can keep on doing things wrong!

Cheers, PT
Very Nice. Is yours a 383 with the 2 barrel? What sort of plans do you have for yours? Full restoration, daily driver, hot rod?
Here is my project car...
View attachment 566326
Yup, it's a 383 2bb, floors are good, trunk is good, needs body work, still mulling over what she needs, not going crazy on trying to get her back to stock, exhaust needs to be done. Considering a Champane Gold satin wrap job, Torq thrust American Racing rims. Seeing that the vinyl roof is not one of the proper Chrysler options, I just want to make it look nice. Wrapped my Polara which turned out nice, so might just do it again!
Have a nice day, looks like you have a great base to start with Sketchy or does she have another name?

PT

Congrats on getting this great car! So much potential, I'm glad it's going to get the attention it deserves!

Regarding the paint, the paint code on the fender tag is BM2. I did some digging, and based on what I have that means that it was a custom paint order with a black roof and turbine bronze body. Sharp!

Part3-15.jpg

Congrats on getting this great car! So much potential, I'm glad it's going to get the attention it deserves!

Regarding the paint, the paint code on the fender tag is BM2. I did some digging, and based on what I have that means that it was a custom paint order with a black roof and turbine bronze body. Sharp!

View attachment 566330
Thanks Barry, curently it doesn't look any where near Turbine nor Bronze rather turd-ine brown !
Just walked by it a second ago doing the recycling and man is she faded, the engine bay has held it's color well.
Roof isn't black so it was changed to a caramel brown at some point , it is in very good condition, it may not be the right color but it was installed properly .

I hope someone can help me with this question and it goes out to all the Slab savants.
So with this 67 Newport, from what other models and from what years ( range) would I be able to resource parts from? Polara, Monaco, Newport, I have no clue!

Thanks in advance

Hi all,
would anyone be able to tell me what this knob by the brake release is for , it isn't working at the moment.
it spins and seems to pull up and down,????? Warp drive, di-lithium chamber, cloaking device, photon torpedoes.
Looks like I will be refering to the car as " The Enterprise "

Thanks PT

IMG_3331.JPG

Back