A beef about car show judging categories. Your take?

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and compared to Chrysler, GM produced more refined cars with more attention to detail especially in the interiors. They were very smooth and quiet whereas Chrysler tended to favor firm rides with much less sound insulation. The engine cooling systems in GM cars had much more margin and caused owners less such problems and their air conditioning systems were very robust delivering loads of cold air to the passenger compartment with no noisy, rocking compressor - important areas where Chrysler lacked by comparison. In the 50s, Chrylser's rust issues were substantial by comparison. In the 60s especially, GM had much better styling than Chrysler overall and better frequency of repair. Those qualities won the day. There is no way to argue with success - they did things better overall, in their customers' experiences, like it or not..............

The Japanese took over the passenger car market here is the U.S. by doing similar things.

While I'm not a big fan of car shows, as they chew up a lot of weekend time, I enjoy going to a few to see folks' reactions to the "over the top" 1960 styling and features of my New Yorker.
That said, I do have a beef with how show judging categories are set. I'm not complaining, just wondering if others with MOPARS have had similar experiences.

So, my beef: There is rarely a show category for stock, "as built," unmodified cars.
Such cars get regular praise in car magazines as sources of "period correct" features, valuable to the restorers' art, historical artifacts, etc., etc., etc. Yet, car shows tend to ignore these cars.

Instead, they they typically consider these to be the desirable categories:

> Best Truck
> Best Unrestored
> Best Interior
> Best Under The Hood
> Best Paint
> Best Foreign Car
> Best Tuner (Domestic)
> Best Custom
> Best Modified
> Best Wheels
> Best Hot Rod
> Most Likely To Get Pulled Over
> Oldest Show Car

Typically, the judging categories are sliced up into 5-year spans. In the case for my car, it's 1955 to 1960. Okay, that's six years, not five, but it matters. Why it matters is, 1960 MOPARS get lumped in with Chevy Tri-Fives, and the judges seem to cream over them. Really, they are not that special as there are thousands and thousands of them out there. Why not just make a category of "Best Tri-Five" and be done with it.

BTW, what car won in the 55-60 category at the last car show I attended?

1st Place - Fxxxx Sxxxx - 1955 Chevy 2-Door Sedan

Thanks for indulging my rant. Anybody else feel this way?
I understand your beef, I see this happen all the time LOL. I’m the same way, never really cared about judging or trophy’s but it does kinda suck that our cars often get looked over. Always some tri-five chevy, corvette, mustang, camaro, or some generic muscle car etc… But that’s ok I knew what I signed up for when adopting Forward look finned cars and 70’s C-body’s. I wouldn’t trade them for any of the above cars mentioned :)

On the flip side we just need to go to our own specialty shows like CPW mopar fall and spring flings, all mopars judged by mopar dudes! And also attend Carlisle too!

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and compared to Chrysler, GM produced more refined cars with more attention to detail especially in the interiors. They were very smooth and quiet whereas Chrysler tended to favor firm rides with much less sound insulation. The engine cooling systems in GM cars had much more margin and caused owners less such problems and their air conditioning systems were very robust delivering loads of cold air to the passenger compartment with no noisy, rocking compressor - important areas where Chrysler lacked by comparison. In the 50s, Chrylser's rust issues were substantial by comparison. In the 60s especially, GM had much better styling than Chrysler overall and better frequency of repair. Those qualities won the day. There is no way to argue with success - they did things better overall, in their customers' experiences, like it or not..............

The Japanese took over the passenger car market here is the U.S. by doing similar things.
Nice article!
In contrast, GM and Ford had a strong "brand loyalty" being the first major producers, leading to " me granpappy had a ferd, and that's all I'll ever drive" mentality! Which is good, made for strong market share!
But were GMs better than Chryslers? That is absolutely debatable!! And good on ya for cheering for the other team. Someone has to.

@bluefury361 I don't understand. Why not open the hood or the trunk? That's the best part of my Max Wedge. Dual quads and fenderwell headers and the battery in the trunk! At a show I would want to see your 361 'cause I learned to drive on a '59 Sport Suburban with the 361.

At Carlisle it's people's choice I think. I am in '62 to '67 B-Body Modified. My first year there were 4 cars in my class and yeah I was fourth!

@bluefury361 I don't understand. Why not open the hood or the trunk? That's the best part of my Max Wedge. Dual quads and fenderwell headers and the battery in the trunk! At a show I would want to see your 361 'cause I learned to drive on a '59 Sport Suburban with the 361.

At Carlisle it's people's choice I think. I am in '62 to '67 B-Body Modified. My first year there were 4 cars in my class and yeah I was fourth!

I think your car is an exception to the hood and trunk closed guideline. On the other hand, the looks of my '66 300 convertible are spoiled with the hood and / or trunk open.

I would agree about your max wedge engine being the primary attraction of your car and should be shown off.
To me a car show is about cars and their styling. Thats what sets one car off from the others. Open panels distract from the overall view of what the car was designed and styled to look like.
I will gladly open my hood upon request to show a highly detailed but mundane 318 poly engine. But the hood, doors and trunk stay closed for display. It's the way I prefer to view a car.

As far as awards go, I normally remove my judging sheet. I feel as though there is no one who is qualified to judge my car but me. The car is my award.

I'm not into trophies. A lot of shows are just politics anyway. Or the buddy system when voting. I would rather go on a car cruise or a show and shine. Always more fun for me.
We hope to plan a cruise or two this year. I have been in a few up around the Mississippi River and they were so fun. 4 wheel drum brakes cruising down a 6% grade with the exhaust cacklin behind you is a perfect combination.

Back