A bit Rough...

bones_68

Reaction score
Hey what's going on everyone my name is Christian and I just got my self a 1968 New Yorker 4 door. I traded a 1956 Bolans ride-a-matic and $400 for it and it's a bit rough to say the least. I might need the communities help finding parts for her. I will post pictures as I go but as of right now this is how I got her. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!!!

IMG_20240307_100113415_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20240307_100120557_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20240307_100127266_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20240307_100136157_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20240307_100139132_HDR_AE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey what's going on everyone my name is Christian and I just got my self a 1968 New Yorker 4 door. I traded a 1956 Bolans ride-a-matic and $400 for it and it's a bit rough to say the least. I might need the communities help finding parts for her. I will post pictures as I go but as of right now this is how I got her. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!!!

View attachment 651562

View attachment 651563

View attachment 651564

View attachment 651565

View attachment 651566
This is interesting.. The car looks like it's got a lot of potential. Up here in the northeast, cars in this shape always have severe rust issues too and aren't worth doing anything with...

But this car looks really solid... and to me, kind of a blank canvas.

What are your plans with the car?

This is interesting.. The car looks like it's got a lot of potential. Up here in the northeast, cars in this shape always have severe rust issues too and aren't worth doing anything with...

But this car looks really solid... and to me, kind of a blank canvas.

What are your plans with the car?
It has almost no rust. I just want to make her shine again. I have never had a vehicle like this before and I'm very excited!

It has almost no rust. I just want to make her shine again. I have never had a vehicle like this before and I'm very excited!
Interesting....

The paint looks like it might be revivable. What I would do first is wash the car a couple times with Dawn dishwashing soap. Yes, specifically just regular Dawn. That will strip off a lot of crud and any old wax. Then I would hit it with a clay bar to remove any junk in the paint. That will clean the car... From there, it's buffing the paint. An investment in an orbital polisher might be wise, but it can be done by hand too. Start out with Maguiar's 105 compound, followed by Meguiar's 205 compound. Wash again with Dawn and then add your favorite wax. I like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Top with a nice detail spray.

Entry level polisher. 5.7 Amp 6 in. Short-Throw Random Orbit DA Polisher/Sander Get some foam pads for this too. Don't get a rotary polisher unless you've used one before. You can do a lot of damage with a rotary that you won't do with an orbital.

It looks like a very solid body, but yes I do believe it is a newport. Tail lights are not right for NY. Looks like Newport badge on guarter panel. Still looks like lots of potential. Mores pics and good luck. This is the place for lots of Good help and advise.!

Believe it or not, I have used WD-40 to hand rub my 300's, it takes off old oxidized paint and perks it up a little.

Interesting....

The paint looks like it might be revivable. What I would do first is wash the car a couple times with Dawn dishwashing soap. Yes, specifically just regular Dawn. That will strip off a lot of crud and any old wax. Then I would hit it with a clay bar to remove any junk in the paint. That will clean the car... From there, it's buffing the paint. An investment in an orbital polisher might be wise, but it can be done by hand too. Start out with Maguiar's 105 compound, followed by Meguiar's 205 compound. Wash again with Dawn and then add your favorite wax. I like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Top with a nice detail spray.

Entry level polisher. 5.7 Amp 6 in. Short-Throw Random Orbit DA Polisher/Sander Get some foam pads for this too. Don't get a rotary polisher unless you've used one before. You can do a lot of damage with a rotary that you won't do with an orbital.

Your awesome man! This is why I joined lol. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Back