A heads-up about the repro 65-66 gas tanks...

TylerW

Reaction score
A year or so ago I bought a new gas tank and a new sending unit for a 1965-66 C-body for Van's Auto. I have purchased many items from Van's that worked well, so this is not a bash thread. However, I had problems with these two items, enough so that I would hold off on buying either until they get it sorted.

This first issue I encountered was that the sending unit died after 10 months/ 100 miles. I drove the car very little this past year while working on other issues. While driving along, I looked down and noticed the gas needle was all the way past full, although it only had about 6 gallons of gas on board.

I pulled the tank back out and removed the sending unit, and that's when I noticed the sending unit was installed 30 degrees too far counter-clockwise. That caused the float to no longer be parallel with the bottom of the tank. I thought this was my fault from being in a hurry to get things installed. I also noticed that the sending unit arm was tweaked, again causing the float to not be exactly parallel with the tank floor even when installed correctly.

I tested the wiring on the car and the gauge and everything passed. I tested the sending unit and it failed with a near-dead short to ground. I contacted Van's, they said return it, which i did. The man there called me a couple days later and said the sending unit worked, but was slightly low on the low side. I called BS on that and challenged him(politely) to guarantee that the sending unit would work fine when it arrived back here. At that point they offered a new unit, which I accepted.

The new unit arrived and I unboxed it and tested it. The first thing i noticed is that the float arm was again tweaked, but not as bad as the first one. I tested it and it ran the scale as it should, except that it went too high on the high side and too low on the low side. I could live with that, so I proceeded to install it. This is where I discovered a big problem:

When I put the sender in, I realized that either the locating tabs on the sending unit were located in the wrong place, or the locating slots in the tank were. I no longer have my original tank to compare to. Either way, as designed, the sending unit will not sit in the tank so that the float is parallel to the tank floor. I wasn't about to spend another $15 to ship something back again, so I bent the tabs down so that I could clock the sending unit correctly. That didn't work either!

It turns out that the sending unit pickup tube hits the bottom of the gas tank when it is clocked correctly. By correctly, I mean where the float is LEVEL. maybe I'm missing something here but in my experience, floats are always intended to be LEVEL.

I took the sender back out, removed the strainer and carefully bent the pickup tube upward. That worked, but I no longer have positive retainment of the sending unit aside from the lockring. I am used to poorly done reproduction parts, but this is too much. I emailed Van's to alert them to this and never heard anything back. I am over $400 into these items and this is unacceptable. If this sending unit fails also I will either go to another supplier for another version of the same lousy sender, or carry a measuring stick with me.

Just a heads-up.

Remember that Van's is probably re-selling the Spectra brand of tanks, rather than having them built specifically for them. This would mean that the observed issues would not be specific to the items which Van's sells, but to ALL of the Spectra tank (which can be purchased under the same part number on their website). Same with the sending units, I suspect.

Was your existing sending unit rebuildable, or working well when removed? the ONLY thing to go wrong would be the variable resistor which the float arm "wipes" as it moves through its travel. BTAIM.

What specific part number tank(s) did you purchase?

Thanks for the information,
CBODY67

Most of the repop sending units are junk, regardless if it is VANS or another vendor. If you have your original a rebuild of it is probably better, if it worked fine before I would just install a new brass float on it and go with it.

I replace my tank and sending unit several years ago. No problems found. The gauge does max out when full. But that is due to messing with the adjusting screw on the regulator. That may be your issue. Does anyone know what the regulator (original mechanical unit)should be adjusted for?

Remember that Van's is probably re-selling the Spectra brand of tanks, rather than having them built specifically for them. This would mean that the observed issues would not be specific to the items which Van's sells, but to ALL of the Spectra tank (which can be purchased under the same part number on their website). Same with the sending units, I suspect.

Was your existing sending unit rebuildable, or working well when removed? the ONLY thing to go wrong would be the variable resistor which the float arm "wipes" as it moves through its travel. BTAIM.

What specific part number tank(s) did you purchase?

Thanks for the information,
CBODY67
Actually the tanks sold by Vans are their own....not Spectra. Even AMD seems to be doing away with Spectra tanks and selling the Taiwan copies.

I had the same trouble with cheap overseas sending units. Purchased a unit (non-asian) from mopar mall and had no problems. Installed in original tank. https://www.moparmall.com/2584947-fuel-trank-gauge-sender-sending-unit-p/303-013.htm They normally offer 15/20% off during holidays.
Not made of Chineseium which I like A LOT!!!! Wonder what changed from 1969 to 1970?
Fuel Gauge Sender Set for 1970-1973 C-Body & Imperial
1970-1973. Fits My 1970 & 1972 Fury's
303-012-2T.jpg

Fuel Gauge Sender Set for 1967-1969 MoPar C-Body
303-012_A-2T.jpg

Actually the tanks sold by Vans are their own....not Spectra. Even AMD seems to be doing away with Spectra tanks and selling the Taiwan copies.

I based my comments on the use of the seemingly-Spectra part numbers by everybody else in what they were selling at the time. As the prices varied widely!

Van's usually has one of the least expensive prices and had free shipping back then. Considering what it would take for Van's to go into the fuel tank businesses, cold turkey, I have my doubts they would undertake such an investment and still be a lower-cost provider of the products. Unless there's much more profit in that business, even after environmental regulations, than suspected.

I managed to get a new tank for the '66 Newport back when I could still get ome from Chrysler. Seems like it was something like $80.00 wholesale? What would that be in current $$$$?

I appreciate the general dislike for anything produced in China, car parts wise, so what's been deficient in the allegedly Chinese fuel tanks? Just curious.

Thanks,
CBODY67

20 months and almost 1700 miles later the Vans tank and sending unit are working satisfactory. The unit itself is like not 100% accurate which means it's as 100 % accurate as an original one. Old Mopars are known for their gas gauge idiosyncrasies...>cough<.

EDIT: The sending unit is a Spectra unit I bought at NAPA. My installer also used the OE lock ring and I haven't had any leakage issues

Last edited:
Considering there are not many suppliers for our very limited market, using a tubing bender to adjust the pickup tube shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I am happy there is something available. Don't be surprised in a few years there will be no new fuel sender units available.

Was reading the comments about lumber at Lowe's recently. People actually complained the boards were 1/2" too long. This sounds similar.

Back