A903 to A833 Conversion?

Alexwesolowski487

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First time posting also first time Mopar owner, came from a thorough Harley background originally but thinned the herd of bikes a little bit and picked up my recently acquired 66 Newport 4 door hard top. 383 4 barrel car with an A903 three on the tree in it. As much as I do love the 3 speed its already tickling the back of my mind on doing a 4 speed floor shift conversion.

My first guess for a swap would be the A833, with that being said does anyone know how much of the existing A903 components would work with the A833? Mainly referring to bellhousing, clutch, flywheel etc etc I understand linkages would have to be swapped out and obviously i would be cutting the trans tunnel which I'm sure some people would be upset about but this is all theoretical. Someone had mentioned to me prior regarding bellhousing that they believe if the A833 has the correct bearing retainer on it it would bolt up to the A903 bellhousing

20230829_135109.jpg

20230826_120639.jpg

received_318096350731329.jpeg

Last edited:
Alex
The swap in your case is fairly easy.
Thing is a 4 door hardtop Chrysler with the 3 in the tree is getting to be extremely rare.

yea it's not near as sexy as a shifter poking thru the trans tunnel.
I'd strongly suggest that you leave it as it is.
Your car, your call just my .02

Alex
The swap in your case is fairly easy.
Thing is a 4 door hardtop Chrysler with the 3 in the tree is getting to be extremely rare.

yea it's not near as sexy as a shifter poking thru the trans tunnel.
I'd strongly suggest that you leave it as it is.
Your car, your call just my .02
That's one thing I have actually heard quite a bit in the short time I've owned it with it, I do appreciate the response regardless man!

I would put a 4-speed in it. You can always save all the 3-speed parts so it could be put back to original. Driving the car with the 4-speed and floor shifter will be a lot more fun than the 3 on the tree.

I would put a 4-speed in it. You can always save all the 3-speed parts so it could be put back to original. Driving the car with the 4-speed and floor shifter will be a lot more fun than the 3 on the tree.
If/when I do go that route I would definitely hoard the 3 speed parts. Sourcing an 833 isn't proving to be difficult its just the knowledge of cross usage parts that's really holding me back from getting the ball rolling. I don't want to drop the 3 speed out thinking the flywheel, clutch and bellhousing will work with the 4 speed just to find out they don't.

I have become aware that there is a big niche following of the similar Buick and Oldsmobile models with factory 4-speed cars. I have a friend you gets very excited about any 3-pedal car, especially bigger Buicks. Several years ago, he bought a car he'd been lusting after for a while . . . a '70 Buick Wildcat 4dr ht, 430 V-8 with a factory 3-speed manual trans. Power steering but no power brakes, from Arizona. It was a special car, in many respects other than the manual transmission.

In many cases, the interesting thing about the later 3-speed manual transmissions is that their gear ratios tend to mimic what the 3-speed automatic transmissions had in them. The downside of any manual transmission in a region which is expanding in population is TRAFFIC and road construction increases. Which can complicate driving anything with a clutch. Some people adapt to these things easily and naturally, but others have decreased tolerance of them. Highly variable. But since you have come out of the motorcycle world, you've lived through them successfully.

A 4-speed might be nice, but for the best effect, would need a factory console (and bucket seats) to pull it off successfully. A much higher "WOW" factor. So you might be on the lookout for a similar 300 in the salvage yards for the buckets, even the "buddy seat" rather than a full console, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

My wish would be you leave it. But, if you do such a swap, please swap the steering column too. I really dislike seeing the shifter section still on the column after it has been disconnected.

Also, I would believe you will need a new, shorter, driveshaft as well. The 4 speed will be a longer transmission than the three speed.

You have an A745, 903's were for 6 cylinders. But, that's not here or there. You'll need a bell housing, (I don't think the universal drilled came out until the 70's sometime). Probably a driveshaft too depending on the lenghts between the two and of coarse the floor hump. These are hard to find, but not impossible. You may need to fabricate, or have it done to look good. Ypoull need to replace/modify the carpet. It was mentioned finding a console car for parts, that would be cool to use in a 4 door. Your choice but personally I'd leave it alone but hey, your car your $.

I'd leave it because it adds to the novelty of the car.

This car looks real familiar. I can't remember if we saw it here in a "build" thread or a "for sale" thread. The mods on the front are memorable, actually tasteful compared to some other attempts I've seen.

Mopar made quite a few cars with 4-speeds and bench seats. It shouldn't be too hard to get a shifter that will work. Getting the driveshaft shortened is no big deal. Based on the fact that this car is already modified some I would go with the 4-speed. Make sure you have all the parts you need so you don't lay up the car too long.

Mopar made quite a few cars with 4-speeds and bench seats. It shouldn't be too hard to get a shifter that will work. Getting the driveshaft shortened is no big deal. Based on the fact that this car is already modified some I would go with the 4-speed. Make sure you have all the parts you need so you don't lay up the car too long.
Thats exactly it I wanna make sure my ducks are in a row so I can just drop the 3 speed and toss the 4 speed right in, like I said before it's really just a matter of finding out if the bellhousing clutch flywheel and pilot bearing would work with an 833

The 833 came with either 23 or 18 splines on the input shaft. Most are 23 splines. Find out what the splines are on your three speed, you might be able to use it. The flywheel should be fine. If the bellhousing is drilled for the 833 then you could use it.

I believe that you will need to get a set of the used shifter mounting sheet metal, that presents the place for the shifter and boot to mount. I believe someone here was going to reproduce the components, but haven’t heard a peep about it for over a year.
I believe you have the rest of the components to make this work (from a glue logic perspective), and the transmission, etc is all available.

I would be torn on installing a 4 speed or keeping the original 3 on the tree. I guess my only thought is that the car has already been tastefully modified, which lowers my thought to keep it stock (because it isn’t currently ).
Regardless of your choice, I am sure that you will do a great job.
Please keep us updated on your decision and progress!

One thing I keep failing to mention to everyone regarding the interior for everyone opting towards keeping it as stock as possible for rarity sake is that it has already been modified with power seats from a late 90s GM (which shockingly enough fit very well and are quite comfy) and it does in fact have the factory carpet in great shape but the previous owner laid some house carpet over it to protect it (which personally I am a fan of it reminds me of the Big Lebowski) but the dash pad isn't there to hide anything it has absolutely 0 cracks under there

Screenshot_20230831_140311_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230831_140314_Facebook.jpg

Back