Aftermarket Disc Brake Kit Needed?

Top Heavy

Reaction score
There are many disc brake conversion kits around for our beloved C-body's, though many appear to be exactly the same - and are fairly costly for average performance.

My main questions have not really been answered anywhere, so here goes:

1. Does anyone know what the difference is between a 1973+ B-Body (Larger ball joint) spindle and our 62-73 spindle?

If the dimensions are close, could an after market lowered spindle not be used?

If it really is more than re-drilling and enlarging holes it could be too much work and not worth it, but I'd rather not buy a set of spindles without having a visual comparison.

2. Is there a big difference in factory 62-73 callipers, rotors, and pads from other disc brake systems in the Mopar line up?

If I do a factory style conversion on my front brakes, will the parts be discontinued anytime soon - or am I able to piece it all together from other lines?

3. I know it's a long shot but are there any other full size vehicles that can be exploited for front brakes?

Ford rotors, callipers, etc?

All of this said, I'd like to hear other experiences and ideas. Our C-Bodies are rare, and I want to keep it safe, and reliable, but we have so many less options than full size owners under other monikers.

Opting to buy '73 C-Body spindles (that come with everything attached) to either do a factory style build or use the factory components to integrate modern Mustang big brake rotors & Calipers or an SRT8 front & rear........ We'll see what can be done on a budget, will be a 2013 project.

I'm not sure how you'll get the SRT stuff to work without some pretty major modification. Also, the rear is IRS.

Stormer, with ease! All that will be required is to machine the factory rotor off, so all that remains in the hub assembly the holds the factory disc to the spindle. Then overlay the factory SRT8 rotor on the hub assembly. The wheel, when installed will hold the rotor in place the exact same it would on a factory SRT8 vehicle. Then to fabricate a caliper bracket to hold the caliper in the correct position.

Similar in the rear. Might be a little more intricate because of the parking brake.

I've had 3 SRT8 vehicles, still have a Jeep SRT8, and I've done brakes more times than I'd like..... Quite well versed in Brambo/SRT8 brakes.

All I can hope is someone beats me to it, and I can just buy the caliper brackets from a vendor.

I have picked up my '73 spindles, rotors, caliper brackets, calipers and related....... Once I have the parts car at the shop I can get started (picking up a fresh rebuilt 3.55 suregrip soon too!)

Back