Aftermarket radio hidden mounting option

Well I pulled the radio today and it is going to the guy big John suggested. Glad you guys talked me into it. I will be happier and the radio I did buy was too big for the glove box, so it was fate.
rps20160124_144925.jpg

I can't bring myself to spending the money to modernize my factory radio at this time. I was looking to mount a modern radio in the glove box. I wanted a nice clean reversible look. I am pretty sure I found it.

This company of course doesn't offer a mount off the shelf for our c-bodies, but will make a custom mount for nearly the same cost of around $65 dollar. You make measurements that work for their standardized blueprinted CAD program and then the mount is cut and powder coated.

TMC Customs, LLC

Here is a photo I pulled of what their mount looks like.

View attachment 69400
--- Post updated ---
The glove box installation seems like a popular mounting point for aftermarket radios but isn't that sorta like putting the brake pedal on the passenger's side. I mean really, who wants to reach over and open the glove box while driving to change channels or insert a CD? That's a long way across, safe distance for wives and people who haven't discovered deoderant but not today's sophisticated stereos. May as well put it under the seat and save the glove box for what it's meant for - drugs, guns, protophalactics and mickey's. Worse part is it's "iffy" if a remote will actually work, I doubt it with the door shut. Gotta be a better way of doing things other than the brain dead way.
--- Post updated ---

That is what made my decision easier too, only found IR remotes, no RF so the door would need to be opened.

you'll be glad you used your stock radio and updated it. I did it for my 66 Charger and it's awesome. I've got a line run from the radio to my center console for my phone.

Glad it worked out. Also think its better to just go ahead, and get the original radio done right now. Keep us posted on how it turns out. I'm keeping an eye out for a reputable place that restores old 8 track radios.

Glad it worked out. Also think its better to just go ahead, and get the original radio done right now. Keep us posted on how it turns out. I'm keeping an eye out for a reputable place that restores old 8 track radios.
It was sent out yesterday, he said it would be a couple weeks after he receives it. I will make a full update when I get it back.

I just finished my radio conversion. I bought a Sony FM receiver with AUX and USB inputs and swapped internals into original radio. I had to come up with new buttons mounts and micro switches.
This short video was taken before clean up and final assembly. The face plate was replaced so now there is no screen frame is visible and when the radio is off you cannot tell there is a screen.

Total cost $60 for radio, $4 for micro switches and 8-10 hrs of my time.

Wow that was fast. I put the radio in the mail last week, and it was delivered on Friday. Today I got home and one week later coming from Florida to Ohio I have my radio back. He was too quick I haven't even ordered all my adapters yet for the installation, but I my not complaining. Hopefully I can play around a bit tomorrow and see how it sounds without the subwoofer.

Radio new 1.jpg

radio new 2.jpg

Back