Aftermarket wheels?

When I think coupe, I always think of a two door body with no quarter windows and generally think of cars from the 1930s and 40s. So, for me, the 'Cuda/Challenger vs Camaro/Firebird analogy kinda works. The '71 Challenger had quarter windows and was definitely a Hardtop. The '71 Camaro had no quarter windows. The Camaro could probably be called a coupe. Could the Challenger also be called a coupe? It might depend on who you ask, but if I'm not mistaken, weren't the 2-door hardtop C-bodies referred to as "Business Coupes"? Over the years I have seen and heard the terms "Three Window Coupe" and "Five Window Coupe". The word "Coupe" has surfaced in some strange places too. For example, the F-Body Aspen/Volare line. The "Super Coupe" was a two door body, but there were windows behind the driver. If I remember, those windows were covered with louvres. So, because they were covered, did they still count as windows or were they considered to be part of the body? Then there's the "SS 454 Street Coupe". While the "Street Coupe" didn't have any windows behind the driver's window, it also was not a car! It was a Regular Cab Pick-up truck. Does this mean that all regular cab pick-ups are coupes? I wouldn't think so, but apparently somebody somewhere does.

For my definition purposes, those windows in the "Super Coupe" did not open, so it would qualify. The Cordoba was a coupe. It had opera window, but they did not open. So, for me, it was a ... coupe. A two door car with no opening rear windows was the definition I grew up with.

So I ended up with the super trendy Ridler 695s. Not at all my first choice but I already had tires sitting in my garage. I do have two of the Daytonas, so if I ever come across another pair, I'll certainly switch to those. These are 18x8 with 0 offset. They fit really well, too. The tires are fat 275/40/18 Dunlops (I was planning on 18x9" wheels), but they fit up in the wheel well with no problem at all.

View attachment 63514

I'm not big on the muscle car wheels under the long family sedan, and the fact that they are pretty much the same wheels that I had on my Cougar. Maybe if I drop the front a little more to hide the top of the tire they'll look more on purpose.

View attachment 63515
Hey what clearances do you have with those suckers? have a line on some of those ridlers @ 18x 9.5 wide with 1/4" offset at a really good price
Hows the clearance on the front suspension components?

I have to agree on this one. For some reason the C-bodies just seem to look beautiful with the Magnum 500's. I got mine from Summit Racing (probably via Wheel Vintiques) and put them with some 215 70R15 tires. It still has enough sidewall for a comfortable ride.
View attachment 65476View attachment 65477

View attachment 65476

View attachment 65477

I got a set of those from Summit as well. Mine starting rusting in 3 months.

Have you seen any rust on yours?

Mine were installed in the fall 2012 put 100 miles on the car, by the time I got the car out in the spring there was rust on the wheels. They are now 3 years old, really didn't get much worse than that first year. I would still buy them again, just wish they put a real chrome finish on them.

Mine were installed in the fall 2012 put 100 miles on the car, by the time I got the car out in the spring there was rust on the wheels. They are now 3 years old, really didn't get much worse than that first year. I would still buy them again, just wish they put a real chrome finish on them.

Thanks for your response.

I don't feel so bad like I got a bad set.

I am not sure if I would buy them again.

It sure does take away from a nice car to have rusty wheels.

I'm looking to replace the rusty Cragar wires on this 66 New Yorker with something a bit more modern-sized and styled. I like the Mustang eleanor-style wheels, in probably an 18. Are 9 inch wheels possible in the back with the skirts? Anyone done anything like this? Pics of your experiences are greatly appreciated!
Yes, I like the factory hubcaps, but I'm only 35...
I put 2004 mustang wheels to start off in the beginning and no issue. but I have disc on all 4 corners. 16x8oem.
With boxed in leafs 17x10 in rear 6.25 bs. Fronts 17 x9

I put 2004 mustang wheels to start off in the beginning and no issue. but I have disc on all 4 corners. 16x8oem.
With boxed in leafs 17x10 in rear 6.25 bs. Fronts 17 x9
This post is worthless without pics....

Here is mine. Boyd coddington 18x8s
20160301_232101.jpg

There are certain aftermarket wheels that look good on a slab that don't look good on a Fusie or a Formal and vice versa too. I definitely don't like wheels that have a very low profile or rubber band look.

There are certain aftermarket wheels that look good on a slab that don't look good on a Fusie or a Formal and vice versa too. I definitely don't like wheels that have a very low profile or rubber band look.
I agree with you. I just want actual good performance tires but I was staying away from anything greater than 17s

Look at the long line of the Panther platform based police Crown Vics. The earlier years had huge beefy fat 15's The later years had O-ring 17's. Compare the two cars and tell me which looks more macho.

Look at the long line of the Panther platform based police Crown Vics. The earlier years had huge beefy fat 15's The later years had O-ring 17's. Compare the two cars and tell me which looks more macho.
I think the 15's look better but I also don't like the offset on the 17's

Back