Aluminum prep

Wire wheel brush on a drill, brake cleaner, maybe Black Magic Bleche-white and a stiff toothbrush.

Good spray brake cleaner, after the degreasing wash.

180 grit aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet...1x3's bolted over the ports, a plate with gaskets over carb hole so no media got inside

What's everyone using to prep an aluminum intake for paint?
The question is.... (drum roll)..... Is it a new manifold or a used one?

New one... Squirt it with brake clean, prime and paint. I like Duplicolor engine enamel for that. Follow the directions on the can. Don't wire wheel or use any other chemical on it.

Used one... Best to have it glass bead blasted first, then take a hose or power washer to it to remove any stray beads (even if you mask it off, they still find their way in) prime and paint. I've done a few this way and always been successful.

The question is.... (drum roll)..... Is it a new manifold or a used one?

New one... Squirt it with brake clean, prime and paint. I like Duplicolor engine enamel for that. Follow the directions on the can. Don't wire wheel or use any other chemical on it.

Used one... Best to have it glass bead blasted first, then take a hose or power washer to it to remove any stray beads (even if you mask it off, they still find their way in) prime and paint. I've done a few this way and always been successful.
Thanks, Dave

Back