Dubious Trunk Repairs on ‘66

darth_linux

Reaction score
I had already guessed by the sloppily applied and grossly over-sprayed truck bed liner that there were some previous repairs made to the trunk at some point in the past.

After this winters bout with way too much condensation, both in the cabin and in the trunk, I decided that on a nice warm sunny day like today I would pull the damp carpet out to let it dry and see what “lies beneath.”

Due to terrible or nonexistent prep work, the spray liner is lifting in several places. Knowing that this could harbor moisture I decided to go ahead and scrape off anything that was loose.

What I discovered below was a mixture of what appeared to be roofing asphalt, seam sealer and some sort of fabric or mesh cloth.

Any thoughts on next steps? I was planning to let it dry out, continue scraping anything else that is loose, spray some rust killer on the bare metal, and then maybe get some correct trunk paint (is there such a thing for Chrysler or is it just body color?)

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3323.jpeg

IMG_3324.jpeg

IMG_3325.jpeg

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3328.jpeg

IMG_3329.jpeg

IMG_3330.jpeg

IMG_3331.jpeg

I would do what you have planned. Looks troweled on there! Possibly your car has always had the condensation problem and this was preventative maintenance. Did you get the condensation issue resolved?

I would do what you have planned. Looks troweled on there! Possibly your car has always had the condensation problem and this was preventative maintenance. Did you get the condensation issue resolved?
Probably a putty knife if I had to guess. I believe this car has had condensation issues for a LONG time based on surface rust on lots of the interior metal trim, and the PO replacing the carpet when he bought it in 2020 due to it being “wet.”

I’ve not sorted out the problem yet, but I believe it’s a leaky rear window. I’m gonna pull the interior out again this summer and do a leak test with a hose on the roof. Back window is original and I suspect the 58 year old seal doesn’t work anymore.

Most all those areas are where the factory had seam sealer.

Most all those areas are where the factory had seam sealer.
cool, it looks like someone just "reapplied" whatever it was they applied to the same areas, and added some mat/cloth for reinforcement. If I was going to restore this car I'd probably rip it all out and see what it looks like, but I'm just gonna redo the repair and call it good.

Back