AMC Volcano Center Cap vs Chrysler Road Wheel Center Cap

The AMC cap is one piece, not two pieces like the Chrysler road wheel center cap. The dimensions are very different as well as seen above.

Motor Wheel produced the AMC caps for the aftermarket as well at the time without the metal bands used by AMC. They also made the similar looking but completely different center caps for our Road Wheels. The greater volume from the aftermarket plus AMC and the fact that they were a one piece part made them much less expensive to produce than the Chrysler caps.

Bob Baker of ABC Moparts already scoped out the cost of reproducing the Chrysler center caps at my request a few years ago now (but from China as a starter) but even from there, the price was prohibitive given the potential volume and too many folks on this site dissed anything made from China, so the project was dropped.

The AMC cap is one piece, not two pieces like the Chrysler road wheel center cap. The dimensions are very different as well as seen above.

Motor Wheel produced the AMC caps for the aftermarket as well at the time without the metal bands used by AMC. They also made the similar looking but completely different center caps for our Road Wheels. The greater volume from the aftermarket plus AMC and the fact that they were a one piece part made them much less expensive to produce than the Chrysler caps.

Bob Baker of ABC Moparts already scoped out the cost of reproducing the Chrysler center caps at my request a few years ago now (but from China as a starter) but even from there, the price was prohibitive given the potential volume and too many folks on this site dissed anything made from China, so the project was dropped.

If it looked like the Chrysler Center and its a one piece reproduction who cares?

Some random thoughts....

First, I'll bet those AMC centers are made with some leftover tooling. Whatever casting shop that was doing the work for AMC kept the tooling when AMC was sold. I'll bet it was an oversight or AMC never paid etc. The Chrysler tooling, even in a vendor's shop, would be property of Chrysler as they would have paid for that tooling and agreements would be made not to use the tooling for anyone or anything else. Since this place is making smaller cast trinkets, they may have connections with whoever did the original die castings. That would explain why tooling up for Chrysler centers would be costly. @$138 a set, that's pretty cheap so IMHO, the tooling was already paid for.

I'm looking at the comparisons and thinking about how they could be made into Chrysler centers. I need to know a couple things first.

Is this dimension the same on AMC and Chrysler caps? Is the height of the center "cap" the same? Overall dimensions the same (or close)?

wheel center.jpg

I just got an e-mail from Gary Konwinski, the owner or Quality Lapel Pins.
His reply was "I looked into making the Chrysler wheel caps, but the tooling costs are thousands of dollars."

I have no idea how much tooling cost but there is a market for these and a complete set of 4 NOS caps and domes have sold for $1,000.00 so I would think that there would be enough sales to cover the tooling especially since the domes were used after '74 for several years with the smooth late style caps before Chrysler switched to the shorter domes.

I have no idea how much tooling cost but there is a market for these and a complete set of 4 NOS caps and domes have sold for $1,000.00 so I would think that there would be enough sales to cover the tooling especially since the domes were used after '74 for several years with the smooth late style caps before Chrysler switched to the shorter domes.

I've bought more than 3 sets at that price. I think 250 a dome is very much worth it.

@Samplingman, could you please measure height of the serrated part of the Chrysler dome? (The AMC ”axle end” is 15mm high, with a 37.5mm diameter. The height of the dome is 86mm, from the bottom to the level part where the serrated ”axle end” rests.)

Peel and stick red AMC rings should be easily removed. They help make the wheels on an AMC.
20200412_184946.jpg

@Samplingman, could you please measure height of the serrated part of the Chrysler dome? (The AMC ”axle end” is 15mm high, with a 37.5mm diameter. The height of the dome is 86mm, from the bottom to the level part where the serrated ”axle end” rests.)
Would you you please take a diameter measurement per the yellow arrows in this photo?

wheel-center-jpg.jpg

I've bought more than 3 sets at that price. I think 250 a dome is very much worth it.

Tooling costs are going to be a lot more than you think. You could do a crummy sand cast for next to nothing, but this is quality die cast. An edumacted guess is $25K. If you are willing to pay $1000 a set, then figure on the vendor would buy them at $500 a set. Using the price point of the AMC centers, they probably have ~$70 in manufacturing cost.

So, at those figures, you aren't going to start making money until the 59th set sells.

So, are you going to sell 100 sets at $1000 a set within a year? People are in business to make $$...

I think a set of four would have to be available for something like $250 to $400 max, for them to be saleable. Which only adds to the challenge.

My AMC set came from a private vendor, who did not need them. He was cleaning his garage. I have no idea what they cost over the counter. My guess is $400.

Back